Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

which would you perfer

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 OFFLINE   bob kaplan

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor

• 582 posts

Posted July 07 2012 - 01:11 PM

If CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON is successful enough to encourage Universal to release another 3D title, which would you prefer: RETURN OF THE CREATURE or IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE....i want both.. so that doesn't even anwer my own question....but i think IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE first.

#2 of 19 ONLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,881 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 07 2012 - 01:12 PM

I would choose It Came from Outer Space, too, though, naturally, I would ideally want EVERYTHING.

#3 of 19 ONLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 4,282 posts

Posted July 07 2012 - 01:22 PM

I would definitely go with IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE. The 3-D photography is much better, plus it has the original three track stereophonic sound. It's one of only three surviving, intact stereo tracks from 3-D's Golden Age.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#4 of 19 OFFLINE   bgart13

bgart13

Screenwriter

• 1,000 posts

Posted July 07 2012 - 01:26 PM

Assuming you mean REVENGE OF THE CREATURE, well, it's got John Agar! Getting him in 3D trumps getting Richard Carlson... :D

#5 of 19 OFFLINE   bob kaplan

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor

• 582 posts

Posted July 07 2012 - 06:36 PM

Yes, i did mean REVENGE. Agar is interesting but Carlson is a building block of 50's sci-fi male personification....or something like that!!

#6 of 19 OFFLINE   Todd J Moore

Todd J Moore

Second Unit

• 439 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted July 07 2012 - 07:13 PM

For years I had the anaglyph VHS Universal released of IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE and watched it many times. So many, that it doesn't exactly top the list of films I'm gonna watch again soon. I was obsessed for a few years with seeing it on the big screen. Did that four times. So yeah, while I would certainly buy a 3D Blu of it, I would take REVENGE OF THE CREATURE over it, if only for the fact that I've seen that one less times.

Viewing a 3D movie in 2D is kinda like viewing a Scope movie in Pan and Scan.

#7 of 19 OFFLINE   SAM33

SAM33

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts

Posted July 08 2012 - 03:25 AM

IT CAME is my most wanted classic 3D film, period! All the reasons Bob lists, plus the excellent realization of a Ray Bradbury narrative place it among my top films of any kind. But REVENGE would be high up there after it.

#8 of 19 OFFLINE   JamesNelson

JamesNelson

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted July 08 2012 - 03:35 AM

This is simply not a resolvable philosophical postulate. I suggest we call it "Furmanek's Choice" :D

#9 of 19 OFFLINE   bob kaplan

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor

• 582 posts

Posted July 08 2012 - 05:12 AM

i COULD live with that!! :)

#10 of 19 ONLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 4,282 posts

Posted July 08 2012 - 06:59 AM

If you want to know the truth, I had dual-strip 35mm prints of both IT CAME and REVENGE. I've seen them a lot. The one I would personally want most is the one UI that I've seen the least: WINGS OF THE HAWK.

The 3-D is excellent, it's UI's first widescreen movie (1.85:1) and the three channel stereo sound survives but hasn't been heard since 1953.

Are you sorry you asked? :)

Posted Image

If I were calling the shots, this is how I'd release them:

It Came from Outer Space with Nat King Cole and Russ Morgan's Orchestra
Revenge of the Creature
The Glass Web with Carnival in April
Taza, Son of Cochise with Hawaiian Nights (which should have been with Creature)
Wings of the Hawk with The Hypnotic Hick

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#11 of 19 OFFLINE   Doctorossi

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor

• 841 posts

Posted July 08 2012 - 07:29 AM

If CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON is successful enough to encourage Universal to release another 3D title
Unfortunately, with their release plan, I'm not sure how they could even calculate such a metric. I expect that most of the general audience for the Monsters box set won't even realize that Creature is included in 3D. Once they release it separately (soon, please!), we can start to look at the idea of "success".

#12 of 19 ONLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 4,282 posts

Posted July 08 2012 - 08:18 AM

You're absolutely right. How do they gauge interest in 3-D when it's in a box set like this? I know several people with little interest in classic horror and they're buying the set specifically for Creature in 3-D.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#13 of 19 OFFLINE   Todd J Moore

Todd J Moore

Second Unit

• 439 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted July 08 2012 - 08:34 AM

I suspect comments on a message board regarding the fact that the set is being bought specifically for CREATURE in 3D may help give them a clue. I mean, I dig the Universal monster movies, sure, but I myself am buying it just for CREATURE in 3D. In fact, if CREATURE was 2D only, I wouldn't be buying the set. I have almost all the Legacy collections and am actively attempting to get on Blu Ray only things I didn't already have. I've upgraded some stuff, but others like the Universal Monsters I think I've spent quite enough on over the years, domo arigato. So yeah, I'm buying it only for the 3D CREATURE. I'll watch the rest of them, sure. But I'm buying it for one thing and one thing only.

Viewing a 3D movie in 2D is kinda like viewing a Scope movie in Pan and Scan.

#14 of 19 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,634 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted July 08 2012 - 09:06 AM

My first choice is ICFOS. But Bob, Nat King Cole is on the soundtrack for ICFOS? Or are you yanking our collective chain?:)
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#15 of 19 OFFLINE   JamesNelson

JamesNelson

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted July 08 2012 - 09:29 AM

My first choice is ICFOS. But Bob, Nat King Cole is on the soundtrack for ICFOS? Or are you yanking our collective chain?:)
Bob was referencing the shorts that originally accompanied each of the features he mentioned.

#16 of 19 OFFLINE   SAM33

SAM33

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts

Posted July 08 2012 - 10:18 AM

If you want to know the truth, I had dual-strip 35mm prints of both IT CAME and REVENGE. I've seen them a lot. The one I would personally want most is the one UI that I've seen the least: WINGS OF THE HAWK.
The 3-D is excellent, it's UI's first widescreen movie (1.85:1) and the three channel stereo sound survives but hasn't been heard since 1953.
Are you sorry you asked? :)
Posted Image
If I were calling the shots, this is how I'd release them:
It Came from Outer Space with Nat King Cole and Russ Morgan's Orchestra
Revenge of the Creature
The Glass Web with Carnival in April
Taza, Son of Cochise with Hawaiian Nights (which should have been with Creature)
Wings of the Hawk with The Hypnotic Hick

What he said! I've ALWAYS wanted to see the Nat King Cole short, which I know originally ran with ICFOS.
Those would be total DREAM sets!

#17 of 19 ONLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,822 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted July 08 2012 - 10:50 AM

I would definitely go with IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE. The 3-D photography is much better, plus it has the original three track stereophonic sound. It's one of only three surviving, intact stereo tracks from 3-D's Golden Age.
I would vote for IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE. 3-D, three track stereophonic sound and the Nat King Cole short! Does it have directional dialog?

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#18 of 19 ONLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 4,282 posts

Posted July 08 2012 - 11:19 PM

The sound on IT CAME is very directional. You can hear it on the DVD.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#19 of 19 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 2,312 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted July 09 2012 - 07:28 AM

both is the correct answer,  but IT, would come first followed by creature with the extras that Bob has mentioned
Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users