What's new

V the series on dvd (1 Viewer)

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
i am wondering why Warner which has a good track record when it comes to dvd would give v the series such a poor treatment. they went with the gold flipper discs which are bad. when you get to the third episode on the discs that is when the problems start, pixilation or the episode does not play at all.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Which version of the show are you referring to?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_(TV_series)

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
Warner's been revisiting several of their dual-sided TVonDVD releases and re-issuing them as single-sided discs. I picked up their 8-disc version of "North and South" a couple months ago (the original DVD were 5 dual-sided discs), and saw that they've done the same for "Roots," all three seasons of "Gilligan's Island," and the first two seasons of "E.R." (they started using single-sided discs for Season 3). There may yet be hope for "V" and other dual-sided disc shows.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Escapay said:
Warner's been revisiting several of their dual-sided TVonDVD releases and re-issuing them as single-sided discs. I picked up their 8-disc version of "North and South" a couple months ago (the original DVD were 5 dual-sided discs), and saw that they've done the same for "Roots," all three seasons of "Gilligan's Island," and the first two seasons of "E.R." (they started using single-sided discs for Season 3). There may yet be hope for "V" and other dual-sided disc shows.
They should have revisted 80s "V" when the newer series was on last year. I have no idea why they didn't--unless they were worried that there'd be consumer confusion between the two (very different) shows. They should have done it anyway. 80s "V" deserves to be re-done on blu-ray anyway (at least the original 4-hour mini, if nothing more).

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i am sure they could have done more with 1980s series. However, i think the market for that show is very low so doing any re-mastering/enhancements is not worth the cost. The new series should came after the old series with the leader reversing his decision.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Ethan Riley said:
They should have revisted 80s "V" when the newer series was on last year. I have no idea why they didn't
I have a pretty good idea. There were probably lots and lots of unsold sets sitting in warehouses. Seems like this one regularly goes on-sale these days for just under $10. Doesn't give them much incentive to re-do them.
Now, if the set had sold well and gone OOP a few years ago, there might have been a case made for revisiting it (or at least re-pressing it onto single-sided discs), but I doubt there's much of a case that can be made now.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Is this a new release? A friend sent me the photo over the weekend. He did not take a look at the back cover to see how many discs, aspect ratio, etc.

IMG_8256_zpsnfy7rytj.jpg

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Is this a new release? A friend sent me the photo over the weekend. He did not take a look at the back cover to see how many discs, aspect ratio, etc.

I'm fairly certain that's just a repackaging of the original individual "snapper case" releases. The new release everyone's talking about here will be coming from Warner Archive (rather than Warner Home Video), and will be the first mini-series only.

Besides correct aspect ratio, a nice bonus feature would be any existing footage of Dominique Dunne as Robin Maxwell (assuming it was clearable).

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
I'm fairly certain that's just a repackaging of the original individual "snapper case" releases. The new release everyone's talking about here will be coming from Warner Archive (rather than Warner Home Video), and will be the first mini-series only.

Besides correct aspect ratio, a nice bonus feature would be any existing footage of Dominique Dunne as Robin Maxwell (assuming it was clearable).

Yes, I know the new release is coming from Warner Archive. Just curious if the repackaging of this DVD set was new, or if this came out years ago and I just never ran across it.

That Dunne footage would be very interesting to see.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I bet the "2 TV Favorites" release you had pictured is likely a Walmart exclusive repack. Certainly haven't found it anywhere else on the 'net.

I'm sure there's nothing new there to see, apart from the box (which recycles the earlier snapper release cover images).

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I'll take it in its original aspect ratio, original sound mix and with commercial breaks where they belong, rather than being edited as a movie.

The Final Battle would be great with those NBC recaps, which were little movies themselves. Also in its original aspect ratio.

Finally, give me the TV Series with better prints, the pre credits teasers and recaps and the commercial breaks restored. Any commentaries on the series itself would be amazing.

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
I'll take it in its original aspect ratio, original sound mix and with commercial breaks where they belong, rather than being edited as a movie.

The Final Battle would be great with those NBC recaps, which were little movies themselves. Also in its original aspect ratio.

Finally, give me the TV Series with better prints, the pre credits teasers and recaps and the commercial breaks restored. Any commentaries on the series itself would be amazing.

Not likely on the recaps, as those I'm sure were produced by NBC with the Danny Dark voice over.

I'm glad I recorded the original broadcasts, I always loved those recaps.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Not likely on the recaps, as those I'm sure were produced by NBC with the Danny Dark voice over.

I'm glad I recorded the original broadcasts, I always loved those recaps.

those recaps appeared on the V/V: The Final Battle syndication package (the version that was sold to local stations as 5 x 120mins, covering both mini-series, to play over five consecutive nights), so that's probably why some of us are thinking they're not beyond the realm of possibility.

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
This is happening at last. They are doing the original 4-hour mini for blu. I kind of doubt they'll upgrade the rest of the series, but you never know.

It would be extremely unlikely that The Final Battle doesn't also get released. Whether or not the weekly series that followed gets released on blu is another story.

It's the same old flipper discs in standard dvd packaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks