Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

V the series on dvd

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 kingfish

kingfish

Supporting Actor

• 985 posts

Posted July 07 2012 - 03:42 AM

i am wondering why Warner which has a good track record when it comes to dvd would give v the series such a poor treatment. they went with the gold flipper discs which are bad. when you get to the third episode on the discs that is when the problems start, pixilation or the episode does not play at all.

#2 of 10 derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 721 posts

Posted July 07 2012 - 05:47 AM

Which version of the show are you referring to? http://en.wikipedia....ki/V_(TV_series)

#3 of 10 younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,237 posts

Posted July 07 2012 - 08:38 AM

Which version of the show are you referring to? http://en.wikipedia....ki/V_(TV_series)

I think he is referring the 1985 series, which had flip side dvds. I think that may had to do with the timing of the released back in 2004.

#4 of 10 kingfish

kingfish

Supporting Actor

• 985 posts

Posted July 07 2012 - 08:49 AM

the original series.

#5 of 10 Escapay

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator

• 238 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Time and Space

Posted July 07 2012 - 09:57 AM

Warner's been revisiting several of their dual-sided TVonDVD releases and re-issuing them as single-sided discs. I picked up their 8-disc version of "North and South" a couple months ago (the original DVD were 5 dual-sided discs), and saw that they've done the same for "Roots," all three seasons of "Gilligan's Island," and the first two seasons of "E.R." (they started using single-sided discs for Season 3). There may yet be hope for "V" and other dual-sided disc shows.

#6 of 10 derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 721 posts

Posted July 07 2012 - 10:08 AM

I think he is referring the 1985 series, which had flip side dvds. .

My VHS tapes are single sided :)

#7 of 10 kingfish

kingfish

Supporting Actor

• 985 posts

Posted July 07 2012 - 12:30 PM

My VHS tapes are single sided :)

:D

#8 of 10 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,335 posts

Posted July 08 2012 - 08:40 AM

Warner's been revisiting several of their dual-sided TVonDVD releases and re-issuing them as single-sided discs. I picked up their 8-disc version of "North and South" a couple months ago (the original DVD were 5 dual-sided discs), and saw that they've done the same for "Roots," all three seasons of "Gilligan's Island," and the first two seasons of "E.R." (they started using single-sided discs for Season 3). There may yet be hope for "V" and other dual-sided disc shows.

They should have revisted 80s "V" when the newer series was on last year. I have no idea why they didn't--unless they were worried that there'd be consumer confusion between the two (very different) shows. They should have done it anyway. 80s "V" deserves to be re-done on blu-ray anyway (at least the original 4-hour mini, if nothing more).

#9 of 10 younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,237 posts

Posted July 08 2012 - 09:17 AM

i am sure they could have done more with 1980s series. However, i think the market for that show is very low so doing any re-mastering/enhancements is not worth the cost. The new series should came after the old series with the leader reversing his decision.

#10 of 10 AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,895 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted July 09 2012 - 01:10 AM

They should have revisted 80s "V" when the newer series was on last year. I have no idea why they didn't

I have a pretty good idea. There were probably lots and lots of unsold sets sitting in warehouses. Seems like this one regularly goes on-sale these days for just under $10. Doesn't give them much incentive to re-do them. Now, if the set had sold well and gone OOP a few years ago, there might have been a case made for revisiting it (or at least re-pressing it onto single-sided discs), but I doubt there's much of a case that can be made now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users