What's new

Missed oppurtunities..popular movies that never made it to DVD (1 Viewer)

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
A few movies baffle me as to why they never made it to DVD despite either their popularity...their so jalopy significance or their missing out on remake that should have opened the door for their release...
ISLAND OF THE BLUE DOLPHINS: You would think a book that is still on many school reading lists would have its movie widely available.
THE BLUE LAGOON: the original starred a young Jean Simmons. You would think with the remake and sequel it would have had an exploitable run on video
THE GREAT IMPOSTER: The original CATCH ME IF YOU CAN
BLACK LIKE ME: James Whitmores best performance
CHARLIE BUBBLES: Lizas real film debut
GIGOT: one of the most beautiful heartfelt movies ever
PEPE: Why?
I'm sure there are many others but these come frustratingly to mind.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]CHARLIE BUBBLES: Liza's real film debut[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]This film was released in the UK in September 2008 on DVD. It is very cheap today at the source. I bought it at the time. I had a spare and put it on my market stall of various bits of stuff we sell(soon to be stopped for good, we are getting to old for it after 32 years and no sales worth a dime anymore). No one has ever been seen to pick it up or talk about it. A disappointment. I like Liza and she is about 3 years older than me. Fortunately, I have had a quieter life. Then there is The Sterile Cuckoo.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]GIGOT: one of the most beautiful heartfelt movies ever[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]I never saw this film but as a dan of Jackie Gleason I have been looking for it. I did see the trailer for this in a downtown cinema at the time of its first release. Fox had it then. I understand there was an unknown rights issues. Whilst I have never spotted a 'Gray Area' listing, these unknown or known 'Rights Issues' don't worry those guys. I want an authentic release as close to the OCN as possible of anything, thank you.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]PEPE: Why?[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]This moreorless 3-hr film is a favorite of my mother & I. I have asked for this for years. The last ask was to Twilight Time. They replied that it is a good film to have for them but...up to Columbia. Judy Garland does a song over a speaker in a back patio scene late in the film, from memory. I believe there may have been two or more deleted scenes which may exist form this film.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Sony issued some Mexican Cantoinflas films on DVD both as singles and in box sets. I ike the actor's work.[/COLOR]

The others I am not familiar with at this time.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
The Great Imposter has been released on DVD in Spain as El Gran Impostor. You can buy it quite cheaply from Amazon Spain. If it doesn't appear elsewhere pretty soon, I'll import the Spanish version.

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Edwards
I surprised that the wonderful 1977 Alain Resnais film Providence had never made to it DVD anywhere in the world.

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Edwards
And I'll second The Blue Lagoon with Jean Simmons which I have never seen.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
PROVIDENCE is an importantfilm.
Othrrs...
JUST A GIGOLO: Dietrichs swan song
TWICE UPON A TIME: a George Lucas production unlike any movie youve ever seen.
GIVE EM HELL HARRY: 1975 Oscar nominees included 3 that were for filmed plats. James Whitmore for this, Maximillian Schell for THE MAN IN THE GLASS BOOTH and
HEDDA : which starred 2 time Oscar winner Glenda.Jackson.
WILLIE AND PHIL: Mazurskys take on JULES AND JIM
PORTNOYS COMPLAINT: an important book of its time
BEAU GESTE: 1966 remake

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Not sure about the popularity of these titles but I have viewed them and liked them. :)
Just a few titles that make my perennial waiting list. Not sure if any of these are available outside of Region 1.
The Keep - directed by Michael Mann. I saw this theatrically. Given the cast and crew somewhat surprised this hasn't shown up on DVD.
Until the End of the World - directed by Wim Wenders. I still can't believe this isn't available. I need to dig out the LaserDisc and view this again.
The Reflecting Skin - Not sure what to say about this one, very strange with a young Viggo Mortensen.
8 Million Ways to Die - Hal Ashby's final film with Jeff Bridges and Rosanna Arquette.
84 Charlie Mopic - gritty documentary style drama set in the Vietnam War. Low budget film that is very effective.
Kafka - early Steven Soderbergh film.
King of the Hill - another early Steven Soderbergh film.
The Addiction - directed by Abel Ferrara with Lily Taylor and Christopher Walken.
At Play in the Fields of the Lord - directed by Hector Babenco with John Lithgow, Tom Berenger, and Daryl Hanna
Edit: Oh yeah, just remembered another Scott Glenn film (discussed recently on the HTF)
The Challenge - directed by John Frankenheimer starring Scott Glenn and Toshiro Mifune. A superior action drama about an outsider caught in the middle of a feud. Haven't seen this in ages (maybe since a theatrical viewing) and would really like to revisit this one.
- Walter.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
The Man in the Glass Booth did make it to DVD (Kino) and it's still in print.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
A few just off the top of my head:

Shock Treatment (1964)
Come Fly With Me (1963)
Show Boat (1929 and 1936 versions)

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
UNTIL THE END OF THE WORLD (the complete version), KING OF THE HILL, 84 CHARLIE MOPIC, and 8 MILLION WAYS TO DIE are available from R2 and still look to be in print.
There is a ghastly R1 version of THE REFLECTING SKIN. Unfortunately an RB Blu is said to be little better.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
There are many "missing" movies where it is known that the problem is with the elements or the copyright. There are some films where no explanation has ever been given for their non-appearance. The following are examples.
The Woman In White - with Sydney Greenstreet
The File On Thelma Jordan - with Barbara Stanwyck
The Joker Is Wild - with Frank Sinatra
The Rat Race - with Tony Curtis and Debbie Reynolds
Blowing Wild - with Gary Cooper and Barbara Stanwyck
The Sweet Ride - with Jacqueline Bisset and Tony Franciosa
The Hell With Heroes - with Rod Taylor and Claudia Cardinale
If any of these are ever released on disc, I'll buy them immediately.

DebraRed

Auditioning
Real Name
Debra Rogers
Why does this happen a few comedies such as " Modern Problems" shows on cable regularly yet I cannot purchase a dvd.. A number of old Sci-Fi movies can only be purchased in region 2 or other forms that will not play on my equiptment; such as HD or laser disc. I'm really tired of my empty searches. I wish there was a list that people could post to. Such a list that would encourage a company to fill this gap. My VHS is in the attic along with the Betamax and copies of such cult classics as "Kill Pussy Cat Kill Kill" , Eat the Rich", Eat and Run"and the Series "Sherman Oaks". I have purchased so called DVD's of these . They turned out to be homemade bootleg copies that are not watchable due to EXTREME poor quality. Does such a site exist?
I joined this web site to find a comparison chart of the different versions of Blu-ray discs, specifically Canada VS US versions. I found one type web site in the past but I cannot relocate it.
I seaching currently to find the difference between the Canadian version vs US version of Black Swan Blu-ray. I know the art work is different but what about the movie itself? DebraRed

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
1492: Conquest of Paradise - Ridley Scott period piece with a great cast. Most of his films have had huge DVD Special Editions but this one hasn't been released at all. 10th Anniversary came and went without a release. This year is the 20th and it looks like it won't be released again.
12 Angry Men (1997) - Remake of a classic film but with an amazing cast and directed by William Friedkin. I was disappointed Criterion didn't include this in their recent release of the original. I'm also surprised that the MGM MOD program has been going on for 2 years now and nearly 350 films released and this hasn't been one of them.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
MODERN PROBLEMS can be found cheaply on Amazon. It seems to have been recently reissued.
This comparative site? (No Canadian info, though): http://www.dvdcompare.net/index.php
The RB Blu of 1492 is welcome but that is a strange case of an MIA disc in R1/A.
The MGM MOD seems to be adding more TV movies so maybe?

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Bob Cashill /t/322049/missed-oppurtunities-popular-movies-that-never-made-it-to-dvd#post_3945717
UNTIL THE END OF THE WORLD (the complete version), KING OF THE HILL, 84 CHARLIE MOPIC, and 8 MILLION WAYS TO DIE are available from R2 and still look to be in print.
There is a ghastly R1 version of THE REFLECTING SKIN. Unfortunately an RB Blu is said to be little better.

Bob, what's the likelihood of the director's cut of Until the End of the World (1991) getting a Blu-ray release?

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
These classics are MIA for some reason:
COME TO THE STABLE (1949) Beloved Christmas film that was a holiday TV staple through the 70's. Through a long and sleepless night with nuns and songwriters, starring Loretta Young, Celeste Holm, Hugh Marlowe and Elsa Lanchester and owned by Fox.
THE INCIDENT (1967) Subway passengers molested by vicious hoods, one of whom is a young Martin Sheen who is brilliant in his part. With Beau Bridges, Ed McMahon, Brock Peters and Thelma Ritter and owned by Fox.
YOU CAN NEVER TELL (1951) A reincarnated German Shepard and racehorse sniff out a murderer. Hilarious and beloved screwball comedy stars Dick Powell, Peggy Dow and Joyce Holden and is owned by Universal.
THE FARMERS DAUGHTER (1949) The original and the best with THE signature performance of Loretta Young along with Joseph Cotten and Ethel Barrymore, probably owned by Warners as it was an RKO release.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Maybe Region B? I'm not sure if the rights still reside with WB in the US or what their interest might be (negligible, I'd suspect). The theatrical version is available for rental/purchase on Amazon Instant Video in the US.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
So do I, but vhs doesnt do it,justice. At this point nothing less than a Bluray disc will do. The beautiful cinematography and the amazing soundtrack screams for it.
35th anni this year.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
One of my favorite Bette Davis performances never was issued on DVD The Corn Is Green. I assume it will eventually come to Warner Archive where the ones that weren't issued on pressed discs have been turning up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks