What's new

Best speaker setup for under 1000? (2 Viewers)

RJ831

Agent
Real Name
Ramon
Hey everyone, I finally got my TV in and mounted. I got it all hooked up to my wifi, directv, xbox 360, and blu-ray player. Everything looks and works AWESOME (imo lol). The only problem I'm having is the sound is pretty terrible. I was planning to wait a little longer to buy my setup but I just can't wait any longer. So I need help!! My current TV is: LG 55LM6200 55-Inch Cinema 3D 1080p 120 Hz LED-LCD HDTV with Smart TV and it's mounted above my fireplace (pic will hopefully be attached.) I'm going with the Denon AVR2112CI for my receiver so I just need help with my speaker setup. I have 1000.00 budget that doesn't include the receiver. Although if I could get something pretty good for less, that would be best!! I'm also considering wireless speakers but i'm not too sure. What do you guys think? Thanks for any help in advance.
eed51eca_TV.jpeg
:cool:

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The common "speaker cost adage" is...
You add up the cost of you AVR, BD/DVD, MP3 and "whatever else" you are going to connect(except for the TV) and buy AT LEAST that "cost" in speaker.
How big is the room?
5.1 or 7.1?
Does this $1000 include the sub? Or is the sub its own budget?
Cause that looks like a decent size room...and the subs that come in a "$1000 set-up" won't make a bit of difference.
Otherwise. BIC(Available on Amazon and BB online) makes speakers(and is about the only thing out there to recommend if this room is a good size) that will come close to fitting the budget.
Edit:
Just scoured Amazon...
The BIC America DV line with 3 sets of 62, the 62 center and a subwoofer would set you back under $700. I don't think you can stay under $1000 with anything else to compete. Unless(and I haven't checked in a while) NewEgg still has Polk Monitor(their exclusive version).
By the way, BIC is good. The Polk Monitor, not so much. There are forums where people who own BIC(which I do, but I also own ORIGINAL DCM, Wharfedale, Dahlquist and Advent...from when Advent was relevant), and those BIC owners are satisfied for years. Polk Monitor owners tend to satisfied for 1-2 years and looking for something else.
Edit 2:
Forget wireless. There is no wireless speakers set that is going to have "better than headphones" audio for under $2000. And, "wireless speakers" is not truly wireless. Each speaker has to plug into an electrical outlet. Negating the whole purpose.

RJ831

Agent
Real Name
Ramon
Thanks for the info!! 1000.00 would be including the sub. Also, the room is my living room which is about 35ft x 30ft (rough estimate). I'll look at some BIC speakers on Amazon. Should the speakers be mounted on the wall? Or are they better on the floor?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That is an enormous room for $1000.
If doing 5.1...
I'd get four DV64(roughly $140 each...or pair of DV64 with a pair of 62), the DV62 center and "pick a sub". BIC makes several

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Have you watched much on the TV since it has been above the fireplace? Has it hurt your neck? Typically, only home designers who have no practical home theater knowledge put the TV above the fireplace.

For $1000 you have a few choices. Do you care if the speakers are not mounted on the wall?

RJ831

Agent
Real Name
Ramon
"only home designers who have no practical home theater knowledge put the TV above the fireplace"....well you just described me buddy! lol! Actually though, it's not too bad. It's tilting down a bit and the seating isn't real close. Also, I had NO choice because that's what the wife wanted *sigh* Ive had for about 3 months though and no neck problems :D. I don't really care if they're mounted on the wall as long as the sound is good.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You could address the "above the fireplace" with a movable TV mount. They actually make those. Mount your center speaker to the TV, set it up...and when you turn on the TV....
The mount moves the TV down to a more comfortable viewing area...then when shut off, moves it back.

RJ831

Agent
Real Name
Ramon
Hmm, I may have to look into that. My current mount moves up and down and can be pulled out as well but it doesn't do it automatically when it's on/off.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Auton.com
They even make an "under the bed" mount...
They can also design a ceiling mount(very good idea if you leave the house often) that lets the TV slide down into view, once out of the ceiling.
But, the cost of some of these mounts is more about "gee-whiz" than practicality.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
We call that WAF (wife acceptance factor). It unfortunately overrules all common sense.

Looking at the picture I don't see a real good place to put the speakers other than on the wall. The compromise of on wall speakers added to the bad placement (speakers and the TV should be at ear level), I'm not sure how 'good' it will sound. Whatever you get, if you do put the speakers on the wall, make sure they are made to be put on the wall. No need to compromise any further....

Is there any chance you could spend more on speakers later? Maybe get the fronts now and later add a sub and surrounds?

Take a look at my favorite internet direct speakers company, Axiom Audio. You could get the M22's and a VP150 and later get a good sub. Or you could go with the M2's and VP100 and still have $400 for a sub (maybe something from LAVA or BIC America).

This is just an example of what you can do. There are tons of choices. Take your time and research....

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Does anybody here have working knowledge about the KEF T series?
They would blow his budget up, but...maybe he(with wife's approval...for the fore-mentioned WAF) could swing those with proper motivation...

RJ831

Agent
Real Name
Ramon
WAF! lol i like that! Well, I only have the 1000.00 now but I guess I could get a few speakers now and get the rest later. I'll take a look at those brands as well. Thanks man.

RJ831

Agent
Real Name
Ramon
So after doing a little research i'm thinking of buying this setup, what do you guys think?
- http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-Venturi-DV84-Speaker/dp/B00012F7CI/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header (2)
- http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-F12-475-Watt-Subwoofer/dp/B0015A8Y5M/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_2
- http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-DV-62CLRS-Channel-Speaker/dp/B00009WBYL/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1342325044&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=venturi+6+1%2F2+center
- http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-DV62si-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B00006JPDI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342324257&sr=8-1&keywords=Dv62 (2)
I'm thinking twice on the towers, only because they won't look great with the position of the TV. Do you guys think the sound would be good enough without the towers?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
We all like towers but they really aren't needed. In fact, I like my Infinity beta 20 bookshelves better than the Beta 40's I have (I'd love to get 50's but the prices on the used market are just too high) and the Revel M12's instead of the F12's. Bigger doesn't mean better.
As David said, there are many, many choices out there for $1000. I'm sure BIC DV series speaker are very nice but for that kind of money I'd look at some of those other options. Infinity primus, Mordaunt-Short Carnival, Boston Acoustics, the list goes on and on. The BIC F12 is a good choice for the price but if movies are the main source then a better sub might be needed. For music I'd look at the Energy S10.3 from newegg or Amazon. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882269026

RJ831

Agent
Real Name
Ramon
I finally got my receiver. Picked up a Denon AVR-2112CI at Best Buy for 400.00. So after a few spenditures, I have 700.00 left for speakers and towers are out of the question since it looks like everything will be mounted on the wall. It's definitely gonna be used more for music than movies (about 70% music, 30% movies). There are so many options out there, I don't know where to even begin lol. I'm starting to think I might be better off buying the Energy Take Classic --> http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Classic-Theater-System-Black/dp/B001202C44 but I kind of wanted to build my own setup. But from what I've read, there aren't a whole lot of setups that are better than the Take unless I spend over 1000.00. What do you guys think?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
For a lot less money...
BIC DV62CLRS, DV62(one, two pairs or three pairs...forget, 5.1 or 7.1?). And if you want to save a bit, DV52 rears.
The DV series will be so much better than the Take for less money.

RJ831

Agent
Real Name
Ramon
Well I do have 700.00 so i'd like to spend it all :D. You think the DV62CLRS, 2 pairs of DV62 and the s10 energy subwoofer would go well together?

RJ831

Agent
Real Name
Ramon
I'm even looking at Polk right now: 2 pair of Polk monitor 30s, Polk Monitor CS2, Energy S10 sub? Shoot, I may just have to listen for myself at Best Buy :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks