-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Getting "Microsoft Office" onto laptop

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted July 04 2012 - 06:37 AM

My wife's HP laptop has Windows 7 Home Premium, but it does not have Microsoft Office" on it. What's the cheapest way to get it loaded onto her laptop? So far, we know no one who owns it. And which version do we need to work with Windows 7 Home Premium? Thanks.

#2 of 17 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,698 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted July 04 2012 - 06:54 AM

Any version of Office will work with any version of Windows 7.  There are a couple of different versions:

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

I wouldn't expect to pay those prices.  You should also check with your employer.  Most large companies have special deals for their employees.  I work for AT&T and we had a deal recently where office was $10 for the license (we had to download the software).  They also have some cloud based options: http://www.microsoft...pare-plans.aspx You can also get a free Windows Live account (live.com) and using Sky Drive create, edit and save Office documents for free.

#3 of 17 Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts

Posted July 04 2012 - 02:15 PM

Thanks Adam. My wife works for a hospital, so I don't know if they would have that as an option. I'll check into these things. We are trying to avoid buying it, it's too expensive. What she needs it for is for Power Point demonstrations, if that changes anything.

#4 of 17 Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,606 posts

Posted July 04 2012 - 02:20 PM

You might want to consider Libre Office as a lower cost alternative. I haven't used the latest version (still using a slightly older version of Open Office) which is related. Depending upon the complexity of the documents with which you are working, and how much document sharing you have to do with others, this may be a viable alternative. Check it out at www.libreoffice.org. - Walter.
Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#5 of 17 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,698 posts

Posted July 06 2012 - 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Mcc 

Thanks Adam. My wife works for a hospital, so I don't know if they would have that as an option. I'll check into these things. We are trying to avoid buying it, it's too expensive. What she needs it for is for Power Point demonstrations, if that changes anything.

Does she need it to create power point presentations or play back existing ones.  If its just to open and playback then they have free viewers.

#6 of 17 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,698 posts

Posted July 06 2012 - 05:25 PM

Create a free live account.  You can create free Power Point documents once you have an account by logging in and going to the Skydrive tab.

#7 of 17 Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts

Posted July 07 2012 - 09:12 AM

Does she need it to create power point presentations or play back existing ones.  If its just to open and playback then they have free viewers.

Thanks Adam. I think she needs it for both. I'll have her check into your link.

#8 of 17 Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,067 posts

Posted July 17 2012 - 09:50 AM

I just installed Office 2007 Home and Student version with no problems, just a ton of updates once you're online. Since I'm still officially a student got a pretty good price a few years ago and the university I go to didn't think there was enough difference/improvement to go to 2010. I think I paid around $75. Same set up as your wife, new HP laptop, Windows 7 premium home edition, etc. It's obviously not the full pro version (no Microsoft Publisher) but adequate for the basic student. One bonus item is it can be installed on three systems, so no need for multiple copies.
Stan

#9 of 17 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,698 posts

Posted July 17 2012 - 10:51 AM

For what its worth Office 2013 is just around the corner....

#10 of 17 Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,067 posts

Posted July 17 2012 - 11:26 AM

So typical with technology today. I've always held off as long as possible on purchases, but what's the use, it's always moving forward. My week old laptop is probably already old news. I would have held off longer, but when a system fatally crashes, don't have a lot of choice.
Stan

#11 of 17 Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts

Posted July 17 2012 - 02:35 PM

As in when?

#12 of 17 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,698 posts

Posted July 17 2012 - 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Mcc 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich 

As in when?
Not 100% sure.  I would guess end of year?  I'm running it on all my PCs at home as part of a private/employee beta.

#13 of 17 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,698 posts

Posted July 20 2012 - 05:59 AM

Just got a link to signup for a trial of 2013: http://www.microsoft...explore-all_cta

#14 of 17 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,309 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted July 29 2012 - 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Stan 

I just installed Office 2007 Home and Student version with no problems, just a ton of updates once you're online. Since I'm still officially a student got a pretty good price a few years ago and the university I go to didn't think there was enough difference/improvement to go to 2010. I think I paid around $75.
Same set up as your wife, new HP laptop, Windows 7 premium home edition, etc.
It's obviously not the full pro version (no Microsoft Publisher) but adequate for the basic student.
One bonus item is it can be installed on three systems, so no need for multiple copies.

If you care about such things, the Home & Student version isn't licensed for professional / commercial use.

#15 of 17 Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,067 posts

Posted July 31 2012 - 04:45 AM

If you care about such things, the Home & Student version isn't licensed for professional / commercial use.

Seems like you are somewhat implying I'm trying to screw the system. I'm retired, going back to school and am a student. No professional or commercial use of the sotware at all. Mentioned Microsoft Publisher only because a group of us had to do a presentation and I don't have that software, being as I'm a student and didn't purchase the full version. Some of the other students who could afford the full version ended up doing that portion of the presentation.
Stan

#16 of 17 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,309 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted July 31 2012 - 12:48 PM

I'm not implying anything. It's something I've bumped into: my wife won't buy Home / Student version because she "can't" use it for her home business.

Most people don't have a small business that needs Office, or care about such things, let alone read licensing agreements. But if it's relevant, there you go.

#17 of 17 Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,067 posts

Posted July 31 2012 - 02:05 PM

I'm not implying anything. It's something I've bumped into: my wife won't buy Home / Student version because she "can't" use it for her home business. Most people don't have a small business that needs Office, or care about such things, let alone read licensing agreements. But if it's relevant, there you go.

Sorry that I took your comment personally, it was obviously meant to be informative. I understand your wife not buying the home/student version and am glad she has the morals/ethics not to cheat the system. Microsoft has loads of money, but they also have loads of lawyers and with all the piracy, fake key codes, etc. they do fight back against illegal usage of their software. Much safer to just be up front about things and get the correct commercial version.
Stan

Forum Nav Content I Follow