What's new

Heads up... three week-long Criterion sale at B&N starting July 10 (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
50% off, including Blu-rays and DVD's. This, according to an employee at our local outlet who always keeps me in the loop about sales. This isn't quite as awesome as it once was, since Amazon routinely gives big breaks on many Criterion titles, but keep in mind that, if B&N doesn't have what you want in-store, you can order it for the same one-half off.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
It's awesome enough. I savor the in-store shopping trips, and the additional 10% off. And boy do I have a LIST this time.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I jumped on here just to see if there was any news on this sale. Yup, I'm in a Criterion froth! :P

Even with the added shipping to Canada the deal is typically to good to pass up. These are hard to find up here for under $38 cdn now.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Thankfully last month's Amazon sale helped thin out my wish list, so my B&N bill won't be as high this time around.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Well, looks like I'll be getting The Last Days of Disco and Metropolitan BDs via B&N rather than amazon.com. Might pick up Rushmore, too.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Thanks for the heads up!
Definitely getting the David Lean box set, The 39 Steps, Shallow Grave and Certified Copy and maybe Twelve Angry Men!

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Plan to get 39 Steps for myself, and my son is interested in M and 12 Angry Men.
I've also heard rumors that in the past Amazon has sometimes match B&N's prices during the sale. Of course, they just had a lot of Criterion titles on sale over the past few months, so this might not happen this time.
David

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yup. I'd be looking for 39 Steps myself.

As much as I would like to upgrade my DVD of M...I am also trying to exercise restraint lately. Same issue with upgrading Being John Malkovich.

But I don't have a DVD of Summer with Monika...

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
Yup.  I'd be looking for 39 Steps myself.
This. I've been really enjoying my foray into Hitchcock via Blu-Ray, and held off on The 39 Steps anticipating just such a sale.
Thanks for the heads up, Dick!

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
If you have a B&N membership ($25 a year), you always get 10% off on DVDs. During this sale, the 10% is taken after the 50%-off sale price, for an effective total discount of 55%. This is in-store only; the 10% membership discount doesn't apply to online orders (but you do get free shipping).

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Craig S said:
If you have a B&N membership ($25 a year), you always get 10% off on DVDs. During this sale, the 10% is taken after the 50%-off sale price, for an effective total discount of 55%. This is in-store only; the 10% membership discount doesn't apply to online orders (but you do get free shipping).
For online orders, if you are a AAA member you can go through their web portal and receive the same additional 10% discount.
I have 4 or 5 Criterion titles on my wish list just waiting for this sale.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I notice that 39 Steps is $28 with a crossed out price of $40. When the sale starts will the price go up to the $40? I also notice free shipping if you spend $25.

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
I wish I had the restraint to wait for these sales. I always end up pre-ordering everything I want. Right now there's nothing I want, though I'll be watching Certified Copy very soon and that's likely to be one I'll want to buy.

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
I wish I had the restraint to wait for these sales. I always end up pre-ordering everything I want. Right now there's nothing I want, though I'll be watching Certified Copy very soon and that's likely to be one I'll want to buy.
And I, who for the most part have the restraint, wish we got more of an advanced warning for these sales. I have literally been waiting for this since May 1st..which is when I believe it began last year. June 1st.. nothing. July1st.. nothing. I had really chalked it up to them not having the sales any longer, when.. whamm.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Well, it has started.
And somehow I got an extra deal. I put three titles in my cart, and was only charged for two. So, either there was an overlap with their prior sale (which I think was Buy 2, Get 1 Free), or my AAA discount was better than I thought (I went to B&N from the AAA site)
Total for three Criterion Blu-Rays - $42.48 - [email protected] plus tax.
Happy, Happy, Happy.
David

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
The b2g1 deal worked for me too. It looks like an overlapping sale.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Thanks for posting, I jumped on and got 12 total! 8 at 50% off, 4 free, makes the $35 shipping to Canada a great deal!

Now I have to save my money for the releases coming out in time for the winter sale...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks