• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 of 56 Dick

Dick

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,718 posts

Posted July 03 2012 - 07:29 AM

50% off, including Blu-rays and DVD's. This, according to an employee at our local outlet who always keeps me in the loop about sales. This isn't quite as awesome as it once was, since Amazon routinely gives big breaks on many Criterion titles, but keep in mind that, if B&N doesn't have what you want in-store, you can order it for the same one-half off.

#2 of 56 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted July 03 2012 - 07:33 AM

It's awesome enough.  I savor the in-store shopping trips, and the additional 10% off.  And boy do I have a LIST this time.

#3 of 56 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• PipPipPip
  • 9,515 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted July 03 2012 - 08:26 AM

I jumped on here just to see if there was any news on this sale. Yup, I'm in a Criterion froth! :P

Even with the added shipping to Canada the deal is typically to good to pass up. These are hard to find up here for under $38 cdn now.

My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#4 of 56 Rachael B

Rachael B

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,637 posts

Posted July 03 2012 - 08:30 AM

Thanks for the tip....I buy most of my Criterion BD's during B & N's sales.
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#5 of 56 JoHud

JoHud

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,285 posts

Posted July 03 2012 - 08:47 AM

Thankfully last month's Amazon sale helped thin out my wish list, so my B&N bill won't be as high this time around.

#6 of 56 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• PipPipPip
  • 6,834 posts
  • LocationValley Glen, CA

Posted July 03 2012 - 11:00 AM

Well, looks like I'll be getting The Last Days of Disco and Metropolitan BDs via B&N rather than amazon.com. Might pick up Rushmore, too.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#7 of 56 Richard M S

Richard M S

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted July 04 2012 - 03:33 PM

Thanks for the heads up! Definitely getting the David Lean box set, The 39 Steps, Shallow Grave and Certified Copy and maybe Twelve Angry Men!

#8 of 56 David Weicker

David Weicker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted July 04 2012 - 04:08 PM

Plan to get 39 Steps for myself, and my son is interested in M and 12 Angry Men. I've also heard rumors that in the past Amazon has sometimes match B&N's prices during the sale. Of course, they just had a lot of Criterion titles on sale over the past few months, so this might not happen this time. David

#9 of 56 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Advanced Member

• 28,130 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted July 04 2012 - 04:30 PM

Yup.  I'd be looking for 39 Steps myself.

As much as I would like to upgrade my DVD of M...I am also trying to exercise restraint lately.  Same issue with upgrading Being John Malkovich.

But I don't have a DVD of Summer with Monika...

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#10 of 56 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 13,810 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted July 04 2012 - 06:08 PM

Yup.  I'd be looking for 39 Steps myself.

This. I've been really enjoying my foray into Hitchcock via Blu-Ray, and held off on The 39 Steps anticipating just such a sale. Thanks for the heads up, Dick!

#11 of 56 DennisBassi

DennisBassi

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted July 04 2012 - 06:48 PM

Question to Chas in CT, what additional 10% off?

#12 of 56 Craig S

Craig S

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,426 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted July 04 2012 - 07:25 PM

If you have a B&N membership ($25 a year), you always get 10% off on DVDs. During this sale, the 10% is taken after the 50%-off sale price, for an effective total discount of 55%. This is in-store only; the 10% membership discount doesn't apply to online orders (but you do get free shipping).

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#13 of 56 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 10,163 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 05 2012 - 01:05 AM

If you have a B&N membership ($25 a year), you always get 10% off on DVDs. During this sale, the 10% is taken after the 50%-off sale price, for an effective total discount of 55%. This is in-store only; the 10% membership discount doesn't apply to online orders (but you do get free shipping).

For online orders, if you are a AAA member you can go through their web portal and receive the same additional 10% discount. I have 4 or 5 Criterion titles on my wish list just waiting for this sale.

#14 of 56 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,770 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted July 05 2012 - 02:04 AM

I notice that 39 Steps is $28 with a crossed out price of $40. When the sale starts will the price go up to the $40? I also notice free shipping if you spend $25.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#15 of 56 gomezfan69

gomezfan69

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted July 05 2012 - 02:43 AM

The 50% is off MSRP.

#16 of 56 Martin Teller

Martin Teller

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,414 posts

Posted July 05 2012 - 04:51 AM

I wish I had the restraint to wait for these sales. I always end up pre-ordering everything I want. Right now there's nothing I want, though I'll be watching Certified Copy very soon and that's likely to be one I'll want to buy.

#17 of 56 Anthony_H

Anthony_H

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted July 08 2012 - 04:54 AM

I wish I had the restraint to wait for these sales. I always end up pre-ordering everything I want. Right now there's nothing I want, though I'll be watching Certified Copy very soon and that's likely to be one I'll want to buy.

And I, who for the most part have the restraint, wish we got more of an advanced warning for these sales. I have literally been waiting for this since May 1st..which is when I believe it began last year. June 1st.. nothing. July1st.. nothing. I had really chalked it up to them not having the sales any longer, when.. whamm.

#18 of 56 David Weicker

David Weicker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted July 09 2012 - 05:23 PM

Well, it has started. And somehow I got an extra deal. I put three titles in my cart, and was only charged for two. So, either there was an overlap with their prior sale (which I think was Buy 2, Get 1 Free), or my AAA discount was better than I thought (I went to B&N from the AAA site) Total for three Criterion Blu-Rays - $42.48 - 2@19.99 plus tax. Happy, Happy, Happy. David

#19 of 56 JoHud

JoHud

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,285 posts

Posted July 09 2012 - 05:29 PM

The b2g1 deal worked for me too. It looks like an overlapping sale.

#20 of 56 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• PipPipPip
  • 9,515 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted July 09 2012 - 06:00 PM

Thanks for posting, I jumped on and got 12 total! 8 at 50% off, 4 free, makes the $35 shipping to Canada a great deal!

Now I have to save my money for the releases coming out in time for the winter sale... Posted Image

My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users