Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

New 80" + 2D/3D HD TV purchase... HELP!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   HDNutts2010

HDNutts2010

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted July 03 2012 - 07:01 AM

Hi everyone! I just finished a room addition on my existing house for a home theater room. The dimensions are 20' x 23' with ceiling height of 10'. Light entering the room is minimal. I selected a 7.1 system with the following equipment: (I have selected and purchased my equipment already) Here is the short list: No Preamps or additional amps Receiver: Denon AVR-3313CI SubW: JL Audio f112-GLOSS (12" / 1500W) Front Surrounds: Klipsch KL-7800-THX (150W) Center: Klipsch KL-6504-THX (150W) Side Surounds: KS-7502-THX (60W) Rears: KS-7502-THX (60W) My question is: I am looking for an 80" to 90" LED or Plasma 2D/3D flat panel HD TV for this room, which uses Passive Glasses (I think I want passive so no batteries/no recharging). I want the best picture for 2D and 3D Blu-ray and DIRECTV HD. I can position my seating anywhere as I have room to go forward or back as far as I need. Thanks for any input!

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted July 03 2012 - 08:29 AM

As far as I know the largest flat screen is 80" diagonal(Sharp). Have you considered a front projector? With the right projector, you can easily go with a screen size of 110" diagonal or larger.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   HDNutts2010

HDNutts2010

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted July 05 2012 - 12:30 AM

I think Sharp has a 90" now. LC-90LE745U I currently have a Sharp Aquos 65" Special Ed. I like it but I don't think it has one of the "better" pictures I've seen on other TV's such as Sony or Samsung. Now the one I have is 5 years old, so there are probably improvements in new models that will make a new TV better than the one I currently have. I have been happy with my current Sharp TV overall, but the picture quality seems to be just under par a bit. One other thing I do not like about my current Sharp is the shuttering of the screen in action scenes. Also I am thinking maybe go a little smaller in screen size (Not smaller than 65") and go with or wait for OLED? I do like the Pioneer Elite LED's they blacks seem really great, but again you get to a max of 70" but I think I could be OK with that.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted July 05 2012 - 09:47 AM

Again, have you considered a front projector? That's a large room. Even an 80" TV will be small.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   HDNutts2010

HDNutts2010

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted July 05 2012 - 11:11 AM

No I did not consider it as it will not work in my room. I am using theater seating such as Media Home Theater seating (5 seats) is a curved configuration (Items # MELLOW3). This is about 16Ft wide, 4Ft deep. I am putting a poker table behind the theater seating. So I will have the seating about 9Ft to 11Ft the 80" for what I assume would be optimal viewing distance. I’m using all in wall speakers for the fronts and center, and ceiling speakers for the rears etc. So a screen really doesn't work for my use of the room.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users