What's new

New 80" + 2D/3D HD TV purchase... HELP! (1 Viewer)

HDNutts2010

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Hi everyone!
I just finished a room addition on my existing house for a home theater room. The dimensions are 20' x 23' with ceiling height of 10'. Light entering the room is minimal. I selected a 7.1 system with the following equipment: (I have selected and purchased my equipment already)
Here is the short list:
No Preamps or additional amps
Receiver: Denon AVR-3313CI
SubW: JL Audio f112-GLOSS (12" / 1500W)
Front Surrounds: Klipsch KL-7800-THX (150W)
Center: Klipsch KL-6504-THX (150W)
Side Surounds: KS-7502-THX (60W)
Rears: KS-7502-THX (60W)
My question is: I am looking for an 80" to 90" LED or Plasma 2D/3D flat panel HD TV for this room, which uses Passive Glasses (I think I want passive so no batteries/no recharging).
I want the best picture for 2D and 3D Blu-ray and DIRECTV HD. I can position my seating anywhere as I have room to go forward or back as far as I need.
Thanks for any input!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
As far as I know the largest flat screen is 80" diagonal(Sharp). Have you considered a front projector? With the right projector, you can easily go with a screen size of 110" diagonal or larger.

HDNutts2010

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
I think Sharp has a 90" now. LC-90LE745U
I currently have a Sharp Aquos 65" Special Ed. I like it but I don't think it has one of the "better" pictures I've seen on other TV's such as Sony or Samsung. Now the one I have is 5 years old, so there are probably improvements in new models that will make a new TV better than the one I currently have. I have been happy with my current Sharp TV overall, but the picture quality seems to be just under par a bit. One other thing I do not like about my current Sharp is the shuttering of the screen in action scenes. Also I am thinking maybe go a little smaller in screen size (Not smaller than 65") and go with or wait for OLED? I do like the Pioneer Elite LED's they blacks seem really great, but again you get to a max of 70" but I think I could be OK with that.

HDNutts2010

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
No I did not consider it as it will not work in my room. I am using theater seating such as Media Home Theater seating (5 seats) is a curved configuration (Items # MELLOW3). This is about 16Ft wide, 4Ft deep. I am putting a poker table behind the theater seating. So I will have the seating about 9Ft to 11Ft the 80" for what I assume would be optimal viewing distance. I’m using all in wall speakers for the fronts and center, and ceiling speakers for the rears etc. So a screen really doesn't work for my use of the room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks