What's new

Layout Improvement/Tips needed (1 Viewer)

JRT2006

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan Thompson
I'm in a fairly small house and using my living room as a "home theater" area. I'm trying to keep it as home-y as possible with the best possible sound for my late night movie dates with myself. Its a somewhat awkward layout with a slaight vault in the ceiling (8' on the exterior walls and 37" inches inward it raises to 9'). I had trouble completely hiding the wires in the walls, but thats not my worry at the moment. What i am more interested in is the layout, my speaker locations, their distances, heights, direction, and if i would benefit from any accoustic paneling, bass traps, etc.
I've included some pictures, my floorplan drawing is a bit overboard as i didnt know when to quit and before I knew it, i had every angle, deminsion, furniture, etc. drawn on there. Excuse the mess on the house picture, large dog and 3 crazy kids who just had pizza night at home = a disaster.
[ATTACHMENT=310]Floorplan (1,186k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]
[ATTACHMENT=311]Right Back and Right Surround (1,119k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]
[ATTACHMENT=312]Right Front and Subwoofer (1,408k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT][ATTACHMENT=313]Back Surround (1,480k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT][ATTACHMENT=314]Fronts and Center (1,199k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT][ATTACHMENT=315]Left Surround (1,364k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]
Looking at the attachments, can you give me any advice on anything. My fronts are 10' from each other facing directly at the main listening position which is 11' from the center channel directly underneath the wall mounted tv. My side surrounds are directly to the left and right of the main listening position and mounted 7'4" high (measured to the middle of the speaker) and angled slightly downwards (over main listening position). My back speakers are mounted 7'2" high (measured to the middle), tilted towards the main listening position (just to the outside of the cushion) and angled downward slightly (directing sound well over the top of the main listening position). My subwoofer placement was determined using the 'Subwoofer Crawl' and this is where I thought the bass sounded the best. i just need a larger cord to hide.
Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!!

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Welcome to Home Theater Forum Ryan. I have attached your pics here:

f83fad0f_back_Surround.jpeg

69758762_floorplan.jpeg

47d712cc_Frontcenter.jpeg

ee08bd3c_rightfront.jpeg

3b458f33_leftsurround.jpeg

66d7e249_Right_Back.jpeg

If the sub sounds best where it is, I would recommend that you don't "toe-in" the left and right speakers so much to widen the sweet spot on the couch. The surrounds may sound a bit more diffuse if they weren't angled at the seating area, but I don't think this is a huge deal. If your receiver has automated set up settings read the manual and use those, if not use an SPL meter from Radio Shack to set your speaker levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks