Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

Newsies: 20th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray Review

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,318 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted June 29 2012 - 02:09 PM

Live action movie musicals were dead and buried when Disney decided to make one in 1992 (animated musicals, on the other hand, were breaking all kinds of box-office records). It was a bold move, but one that at the time didn’t pay any dividends. Time, however, has been kind to Kenny Ortega’s Newsies. Filled with high spirits and lots of heart and featuring a tuneful score which improves with repeated listens, Newsies is not a perfect movie musical, but it certainly entertains. A film whose cult has grown to such an extent that a stage version eventually was mounted with acclaim and awards recognition, Newsies now has the popularity it was denied at the time of its original release.

http://www.amazon.co...ASIN=B007JNR3K6

http://www.amazon.co...ASIN=B007JNR3K6

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   NY2LA

NY2LA

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted June 30 2012 - 07:16 PM

Anyone ever look at the credits to Newsies and see Trey Parker? For a few years that seemed to explain a sight gag in Bigger, Longer and Uncut... then I did some research... Ohhh... no sh--! The Blu Ray is missing one extra from the DVD...

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,577 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted June 30 2012 - 07:54 PM

Quote:
[Reviewer’s note: the opening Disney Blu-ray logo on the disc is presented in system-threatening levels of volume. One is cautioned when loading the disc to mute your sound until that introduction passes.]
  That's a fact!  Be careful people.  When I checked out my new Blu of Newsies the other night, I thought I was going to blow out my Polks.    I wonder why the audo levels for the feature and the audio levels for the disc menu should be so disparate?   And...WHY does the menu not pop-up over the feature?!?  If you want to select a different scene, you have to stop the film and go to a sub-standard "scene select" menu (much like a DVD).   
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2LA /t/321888/newsies-20th-anniversary-edition-blu-ray-review#post_3943926 Anyone ever look at the credits to Newsies and see Trey Parker? For a few years that seemed to explain a sight gag in Bigger, Longer and Uncut... then I did some research... Ohhh... no sh--!
  I think those are two different Trey Parkers.  Just like the Matt Stone who used to post here regularly was a different Matt Stone...   Thanks for the review, Matt!  This movie has long been a favorite at the Frezon home.   The night after I checked out Newsies, I then watched my newly purchased Blu of Tom Hank's "Big."  I had my own mini David Moscow film festival that week! 

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,013 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted June 30 2012 - 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /t/321888/newsies-20th-anniversary-edition-blu-ray-review#post_3943935 I think those are two different Trey Parkers.     
Your right they are two completely different Trey's.  Trey Parker in Newises is from Alabama and we all know that the South Park Trey Parker is from Boulder, Colorado.  While the Alabama Trey was filming Newises, Colorado Trey was filming Cannibal The Musical. 
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   NY2LA

NY2LA

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted June 30 2012 - 09:06 PM

Yeah sad for the other guy. But the frozen last shot of "What Would Brian Boitano Do?" looks a lot like the frozen almost last shot of Newsies. Total coincidence it seems.

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   Escapay

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator

• 239 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Time and Space

Posted June 30 2012 - 10:38 PM

The Blu Ray is missing one extra from the DVD...
I'm assuming you're talking about "The Strike: The True Story"? It's on my Blu-Ray. Maybe some Blu-Rays don't include it for some reason?

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,318 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 01 2012 - 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapay /t/321888/newsies-20th-anniversary-edition-blu-ray-review#post_3943965 I'm assuming you're talking about "The Strike: The True Story"? It's on my Blu-Ray. Maybe some Blu-Rays don't include it for some reason?
No, it's on there. I left it out of the review by accident. I watched it and made notes about it, but skipped it while writing. I'll correct that now. Thanks for catching it.

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   NY2LA

NY2LA

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted July 01 2012 - 07:37 AM

No, it's on there. I left it out of the review by accident. I watched it and made notes about it, but skipped it while writing. I'll correct that now. Thanks for catching it.
No, that's not what I meant.

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,577 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted July 01 2012 - 09:53 AM

What did you mean?!? 

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   NY2LA

NY2LA

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted July 01 2012 - 11:32 AM

What did you mean?!?  :confused:
A little feature called "Talking Newsies." It ain't much but there it was.

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,577 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted July 01 2012 - 12:00 PM

I would have looked myself, but I already gifted my DVD copy of Newsies to my daughter (Who was quite pleased.  She's even considering a trip to Broadway to see the new show there.).   Thanks. 

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   jim_falconer

jim_falconer

Supporting Actor

• 518 posts

Posted January 01 2013 - 07:53 AM

Saw this last night, and quite enjoyed it.  I was in the unusual position of having seen the Broadway show before seeing the film it was based on (actually, I'd seen the Broadway show twice, as it is exceptionally good).  As for the film, I also enjoyed it very much.  Duvall is excellent as Pulitzer, and Bale held his own in regards to the signing and dancing that his role requires.  I'm glad the film is finally getting the recognition it originally deserved.

Thanks for the review Matt..spot on!

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,577 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted January 01 2013 - 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_falconer /t/321888/newsies-20th-anniversary-edition-blu-ray-review#post_4019220

Duvall is excellent as Pulitzer

That's a combination of words I never thought I'd see strung together anywhere.  I've always equated Duvall's performance here with Olivier's in The Jazz Singer--just a lot of angst-ridden over-emoting.   But to each his own.    We do agree in our love for the film.  It has been a favorite in my family for years.    The Broadway Cast did a really nice version of Carrying the Banner at WDW for the annual Disney Christmas Parade special.  They incorporated the WDW train station and Main Street areas along with some of the WDW street performers (in period clothing) for extras. 

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   jim_falconer

jim_falconer

Supporting Actor

• 518 posts

Posted January 02 2013 - 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /t/321888/newsies-20th-anniversary-edition-blu-ray-review#post_4019234   That's a combination of words I never thought I'd see strung together anywhere.  I've always equated Duvall's performance here with Olivier's in The Jazz Singer--just a lot of angst-ridden over-emoting.   But to each his own.    We do agree in our love for the film.  It has been a favorite in my family for years.    The Broadway Cast did a really nice version of Carrying the Banner at WDW for the annual Disney Christmas Parade special.  They incorporated the WDW train station and Main Street areas along with some of the WDW street performers (in period clothing) for extras. 
  Yes, it's true everyone has their own tastes for enjoyment.  Duvall is great to me, because he is so over the top in his portrayal of Pulitzer.  When he is calculating the savings of charging the newspaper boys more, with his hands flaying and his mouth making sounds like an adding machine...comes across to me as quite funny.    That said, there is much more in the film to enjoy than just Duvall.  The entire cast is great.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users