Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

USHE Press Release: Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray) includes Creature in 3D

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
349 replies to this topic

#41 of 350 OFFLINE   Doctorossi

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor

• 836 posts

Posted June 28 2012 - 12:57 PM

Hi Doctorossi, Were you considering a projection type of display, or going flat panel? I'll have a few more questions on your personal viewing preferences before being able to give a 3-D display recommendation that works best for you. If you want, feel free to send me a PM, and we can go from there. - Greg

Thanks! PM sent.

#42 of 350 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,843 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted June 28 2012 - 01:03 PM

Gotta tell ya, I'm really excited over this release.  Back in the day, I reviewed a bunch of the Classic Monster movies, so I got a quick education in things like The Mummy, Frankenstein and Dracula.  When Halloween times comes around, I always want *good* horror and never seem to find anything in my collection which fits the bill.

Q3 and Q4 are filling up...FAST...with releases to spend money on!

#43 of 350 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,545 posts

Posted June 28 2012 - 01:50 PM

The fact that a couple of the extras are repeated across discs suggests that there may be separate releases at some point. Still, this looks like a pretty awesome package. Also, while it's great that the Spanish version of Dracula is getting some care and attention, it seems a little odd that out of Universal's entire catalog, that's one of the 13 they picked for restoration.
"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#44 of 350 OFFLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,689 posts

Posted June 28 2012 - 01:59 PM

Also, while it's great that the Spanish version of Dracula is getting some care and attention, it seems a little odd that out of Universal's entire catalog, that's one of the 13 they picked for restoration.

I recall the Spanish Dracula looking surprisingly great on DVD. I can't imagine it needs a whole lot of work. Needless to say, I am ALL OVER this. Getting Creature in 3D is beyond wonderful.

#45 of 350 OFFLINE   rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 2,000 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted June 28 2012 - 03:17 PM

The fact that a couple of the extras are repeated across discs suggests that there may be separate releases at some point. Still, this looks like a pretty awesome package. Also, while it's great that the Spanish version of Dracula is getting some care and attention, it seems a little odd that out of Universal's entire catalog, that's one of the 13 they picked for restoration.

Well, I guess it's how you look at it. In my view, the Spanish version is the better version, so perhaps enough others feel that way too. This and The Creature From the Black Lagoon in 3D are the highlights of the box set.

#46 of 350 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,606 posts

Posted June 29 2012 - 01:00 AM

Now available for preorder on Amazon.  Please support HTF

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#47 of 350 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,606 posts

Posted June 29 2012 - 01:06 AM

$112 seems slightly out of reach.  I am hoping the price

drops a little further.

Mind you, this set is up against a horde of other sets
competing for collector's dollars this fall.  In fact, I would

say that this is one of the biggest, most expensive years

for Blu-ray since its inception.

I plan to cancel my order for the James Bond Blu-ray box

to get this Monster collection instead.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#48 of 350 ONLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,267 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted June 29 2012 - 01:08 AM

DONE.  (Again. Whew. What a week.)

#49 of 350 OFFLINE   smithb

smithb

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted June 29 2012 - 01:17 AM

$112 seems slightly out of reach.  I am hoping the price drops a little further. Mind you, this set is up against a horde of other sets  competing for collector's dollars this fall.  In fact, I would say that this is one of the biggest, most expensive years for Blu-ray since its inception.   I plan to cancel my order for the James Bond Blu-ray box to get this Monster collection instead.

You're absolutely right, between this, James Bond, Indiana Jones, and Hitchcock it would be difficult to get them all. I figure it's worth keeping them all on pre-order through the Fall just to see what kind of shake up there might be price wise. This way I don't have to sit and monitor the pricing (at least with Amazon). Whichever two slide the most or are less likely to drop big time early next year, are the two i will get.

#50 of 350 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,464 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted June 29 2012 - 01:22 AM

A similar box (and packaging aside, it could be exactly the same content wise) from Universal UK has just popped up at UK etailer Play.com for £39.99.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#51 of 350 OFFLINE   John Morgan

John Morgan

Supporting Actor

• 690 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 29 2012 - 02:04 AM

Now available for preorder on Amazon.  Please support HTF Posted Imagehttp://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=hometheaterforum-20&l=ur2&o=1

Great and ordered. While I was trying to find this link before it appeared, I came across the exact same films, although standard DVD, came out in 2000. And that retail price was $159.00 also, although now it is offered at a more than 50% discount, but it tells me that the Blu Ray is really not overpriced at all. http://www.amazon.co...ster collection

#52 of 350 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,398 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted June 29 2012 - 05:05 AM

A similar box (and packaging aside, it could be exactly the same content wise) from Universal UK has just popped up at UK etailer Play.com for £39.99.

Play.com link

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#53 of 350 OFFLINE   Patrick Mason

Patrick Mason

Stunt Coordinator

• 116 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted June 29 2012 - 05:18 AM

Looks like a great set!  Anyone looking to buy a nice home in Southern California so I can afford my Blu-ray habit in September/October?

#54 of 350 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 29 2012 - 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by RolandL 

Play.com link

Is Creature in 3D with this set. ?

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#55 of 350 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,464 posts

Posted June 29 2012 - 06:08 AM

Is Creature in 3D with this set. ?

It says it is.
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#56 of 350 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 29 2012 - 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by John Hodson 

It says it is.

Oh i just clicked features and saw that, well that's great, considerably cheaper than importing, especially since we now have a £15 limit or £40 gift limit with customs before extra is added on to the price, i can see that £39.99 dropping even more within a few months too.  Now i just hope Universal leave some film grain intact for the earlier titles.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#57 of 350 ONLINE   Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Screenwriter

• 2,618 posts

Posted June 29 2012 - 06:18 AM

Ordered through the link here.

Paramount, please release DRAGONSLAYER on Blu-ray

Dragonslayer_1981HTF_zps4e370848.jpg

Vermithrax Pejorative deserves to be seen in high-def.

#58 of 350 OFFLINE   smithb

smithb

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted June 29 2012 - 06:25 AM

Any ideas on whether the UK set will be region-free?

#59 of 350 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,464 posts

Posted June 29 2012 - 06:48 AM

There's no reason why it should be given previous form.
Film Journal Blog

#60 of 350 OFFLINE   JeremySt

JeremySt

Screenwriter

• 1,775 posts

Posted June 29 2012 - 07:32 AM

$112 seems slightly out of reach.  I am hoping the price drops a little further. Mind you, this set is up against a horde of other sets  competing for collector's dollars this fall.  In fact, I would say that this is one of the biggest, most expensive years for Blu-ray since its inception.   I plan to cancel my order for the James Bond Blu-ray box to get this Monster collection instead.

I have pre ordered, but I agree that I hope the price drops. I have already bought these movies in all prior VHS and DVD versions, so I already have most of the special features. I too would rather have this than the Bond set.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users