-

Photo
- - - - -

USHE Press Release: Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray) includes Creature in 3D

• Please log in to reply
349 replies to this topic

#341 of 350 FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 4,747 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted November 22 2013 - 12:25 PM

There was some discussion about The Wolf Man last year when I put my review up.   RAH had some issues with that transfer.    Joe and I did not, and we were watching on his optimally designed system, on a 90" screen.

Here's the link to the full review, which also goes through all the special features:

http://www.hometheat...ew-recommended/

The short version is that we were very happy until we got to the last two movies in the box.   The Phantom of the Opera has some strange registration errors as I noted, and Creature from the Black Lagoon has PQ issues as well as what I can only think of as a misaligned 3D transfer.   Bob Furmaneck's review of the 3D disc gave a much more careful explanation of the problem there, but it gave me eyestrain at multiple points.

It's still a great set of Blu-rays, and I'm glad to have it.  Dracula and the Frankenstein movies in particular are revelations with the new transfers.

Did Joe actually say to you he didn't see any edge enhancement or did he just not say anything. ?

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#342 of 350 Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,768 posts

Posted November 22 2013 - 12:43 PM

Joe and I looked at the image together on his system.   Joe is not shy about PQ issues.  If he sees edge enhancement, he instantly jumps.   He showed me examples of it on other titles, including the HD-DVD of Meet Joe Black.   With The Wolf Man, we were looking at the image quality and seeing plenty of detail.   We discussed the issues RAH said he was seeing, but we weren't seeing it.   To each their own.  

On the other hand, with Phantom of the Opera, the registration errors practically jumped off the screen.  And with Creature, we were seeing completely inexplicable PQ drops.   The 3D eyestrain issue was something I found on my own with my own setup at home.

#343 of 350 Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,378 posts

Posted November 22 2013 - 12:49 PM

As we discuss in our article, the PQ issues with CREATURE has been there from day one. You are going from camera negative to dupes cut in for opticals.

http://www.3dfilmarc...-black-lagoon-1

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Snipe_zpsa426c063.jpg

#344 of 350 FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 4,747 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted November 22 2013 - 12:49 PM

Joe and I looked at the image together on his system.   Joe is not shy about PQ issues.  If he sees edge enhancement, he instantly jumps.  

Yet there it is, obvious as daylight on the transfer, it's a right or wrong type of discussion, we can't both be right therefore i guess we are both going to have to disagree completely on this one.

Edited by FoxyMulder, November 22 2013 - 01:01 PM.

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#345 of 350 Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,768 posts

Posted November 22 2013 - 01:05 PM

To Bob:   Hello, good to talk to you again.   And you're absolutely right on the PQ on Creature.  It just really popped for us in Blu-ray.   For me, this is akin to the issue I had at the end of the Blu-ray of Raiders of the Lost Ark, where the final matte painting is now blatantly obvious.  When I saw Raiders at the Mann National in Westwood, I don't remember any such reaction.

To Malcolm:   I can only tell you what Joe Kane and I saw in our screening together last year.  You can dispute Joe's findings if you wish, and you can post screencaps, but that will not change the reaction Joe had at the time.   I note that RAH also had issues with the transfer.  We didn't.   Doesn't mean that we didn't see issues anywhere in the set.  Just means that we didn't see what you saw.   You're correct that this isn't a right or wrong discussion.

#346 of 350 Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted November 22 2013 - 01:08 PM

Yet there it is, obvious as daylight on the transfer, it's a right or wrong type of discussion, we can't both be right therefore i guess we are both going to have to disagree completely on this one.

Can you tell me which of your screencaps (and picture area within it) best show the EE artifacts you are seeing on The Worlfman? I've got a new larger projection screen just installed so I'll be curious to compare with what I see.

"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#347 of 350 FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 4,747 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted November 22 2013 - 01:52 PM

Can you tell me which of your screencaps (and picture area within it) best show the EE artifacts you are seeing on The Worlfman? I've got a new larger projection screen just installed so I'll be curious to compare with what I see.

Take a look at caps 7, 19 and 20, i am viewing them at the moment on a 60 inch plasma, no sharpening being added to the screen and nor was any added to the caps i made, it's not just those moments though but those caps should help you see it.

#348 of 350 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 16,164 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted February 06 2014 - 07:23 AM

Not sure if this has been posted here or not, but via Reddit, a high quality production still used for promotion.

Dig it!
t2kIcF3.jpg
  • Reed Grele and FoxyMulder like this

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#349 of 350 John Morgan

John Morgan

Supporting Actor

• 675 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted February 06 2014 - 10:16 AM

I have seen this still before, but never realized all the "images" buried in the rock formations. Quite creepy.

#350 of 350 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,163 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted February 07 2014 - 12:55 PM

I have seen this still before, but never realized all the "images" buried in the rock formations. Quite creepy.

I just did a quickie google search for creature images and only found this image once and it was cropped in portrait mode.  This may be the first time either you or I have seen so much of the "rocks."  They certainly look less like rocks in this pic.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users