What's new

3D Creature from the Black Lagoon 3D (1954) (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
So, with Universal about to announce their Classic Monster Blu-ray set for October 2012 I thought I'd specifically inquire about this title. The unofficial word is that the release will have the 2D only version of Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954). I suspect many classic film fans would want the 3D version as well. According to someone at blu-ray.com this wouldn't be possible to bring to Blu-ray 3D, but I find that unlikely (see here).

Anyway - three main questions for those who may be in the loop and allowed to comment:

1) Does anyone know of any efforts to bring Creature to home 3D viewing, and is the claim that it can't be done accurate?

2) With Dial M for Murder coming out, I imagine the other studios will be watching to see how the sales turn out. Is any other studio gonna take the chance at releasing a catalog 3D Blu-ray (50s or 80s) before seeing those sales, or does the entire hope of catalog Blu-ray titles rely on Dial M's results?

3) Having never seen Creature I see that it's black & white according to imdb.com. All 3D films I'm familiar with are in color. Was this a unique case, or are there other 50s 3D films that were black & white?

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Brandon Conway said:
So, with Universal about to announce their Classic Monster Blu-ray set for October 2012 I thought I'd specifically inquire about this title. The unofficial word is that the release will have the 2D only version of Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954). I suspect many classic film fans would want the 3D version as well. According to someone at blu-ray.com this wouldn't be possible to bring to Blu-ray 3D, but I find that unlikely (see here).
Anyway - three main questions for those who may be in the loop and allowed to comment:
1) Does anyone know of any efforts to bring Creature to home 3D viewing, and is the claim that it can't be done accurate?
2) With Dial M for Murder coming out, I imagine the other studios will be watching to see how the sales turn out. Is any other studio gonna take the chance at releasing a catalog 3D Blu-ray (50s or 80s) before seeing those sales, or does the entire hope of catalog Blu-ray titles rely on Dial M's results?
3) Having never seen Creature I see that it's black & white according to imdb.com. All 3D films I'm familiar with are in color. Was this a unique case, or are there other 50s 3D films that were black & white?
1 - Can't be done? That makes no sense.
2 - they might be waiting
3 - a number of 3-D films from the 50's were black and white - Mad Magican, It Came From Outer Space, two 3 stooges shorts, The Maze, I the Jury, etc.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
According to someone at blu-ray.com this wouldn't be possible to bring to Blu-ray 3D, but I find that unlikely (see here).
That's not true. The technology is available to present it properly on every 3-D television.
are there other 50s 3D films that were black & white?
15 of the 50 Golden Age features were black and white polarized 3-D.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I saw Creature from the Black Lagoon in 3D during the second 3D boom in the early 1980s. So, I know of no reason it couldn't be presented on 3D Blu-ray.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
My guess is that Universal is taking a similar stance as Paramount did with Hondo in that they don't think sales would be high enough to invest in a 3D transfer.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
MattH. said:
I saw Creature from the Black Lagoon in 3D during the second 3D boom in the early 1980s. So, I know of no reason it couldn't be presented on 3D Blu-ray.
I saw it then, as well, but only as an anaglyph conversion. Did you manage to see a polarized presentation?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Doctorossi /t/321783/creature-from-the-black-lagoon-3d-1954#post_3942109
I saw it then, as well, but only as an anaglyph conversion. Did you manage to see a polarized presentation?

Absolutely. Polarized. The only place I have ever seen an anaglyph 3D film was at home.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Brandon Conway said:
Nnno: "Can" be done, but "Won't", just yet.
The Monsters box is going for bulk, so they didn't want to throw one 3D title into an icon-franchise mass-market set and confuse the audience.
Originally, we all hung the fate of 80's movies on Universal's rumors of getting Jaws 3D out for August, and the attention that would create--And hate to admit it, but the clock's ticking, and there's STILL no iron-clad Universal confirmation, beyond the cover art, not even an Amazon placeholder.
For lack of that, everyone's looking to Warner and Dial M's sales...Warner knows enough to put "Hang on, fans, House of Wax is coming! :D " in every press material, but that's not the same as sales figures just yet....Especially to some stubborn studios hoping to selectively ringer their "niche-fad" predictions.
The better examples have already been posted, but here's another good place to plug the Robot Monster YouTube clip again.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I've not been able to log in at Blu-ray.com since the site crash a few weeks ago. I keep getting an error message and several letters to their administrator have gone un-answered.
Would you please post the accurate information on that thread, and link to either this site or the 3dfilmarchive.com site for accurate data?
Thanks!

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Bob Furmanek /t/321783/creature-from-the-black-lagoon-3d-1954#post_3942117
I've not been able to log in at Blu-ray.com since the site crash a few weeks ago. I keep getting an error message and several letters to their administrator have gone un-answered.
Would you please post the accurate information on that thread, and link to either this site or the 3dfilmarchive.com site for accurate data?
Thanks!

Done!

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I appreciate that, thanks Brandon!
d3e3ce00_Creatureteaser8.jpeg

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Trust Bob on this one. People seem to automatically associate B&W 3D with anaglyph because of what it does to the colours, but it really isn't the case. In fact, if you go over to the 3D Film Archive, they have a restoration article about how they were able to restore an anaglyph title to B&W separate left and right eyes.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Thanks, Stephen.
It's all the anaglyph conversions done in the 1970's and 1980's that have clouded people's memories. Sadly, that myth has become fact. http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/home/top-10-3-d-myths

GregK

Screenwriter
My first experience seeing Creature from the Black Lagoon in 3-D was the early 1970's anaglyph re-release when it was shown at a local college in the late 1970s. The anaglyph re-release prints could vary in overall quality and color accuracy. The print I saw lacked sharpness and also was plagued with ghosting. These anaglyph prints sadly continue to be played to the public who crave to see the Creature in 3-Dimensions. When I was finally able to see this projected in dual strip 35mm polarized 3-D, as it did originally in 1954, it was a revelation. Talk about a night and day difference.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
My first time seeing Creature was in anaglyph too and I thought it looked pretty good.
Until I saw it in Polaroid.
But a well-done anaglyph image can have depth too...
37b87e09_Love-for-Sale-R2.jpgweb.jpeg

Red Right
a19ac7ee_CRT6.jpeg

a00ee54d_CRT5.jpeg

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Bob Furmanek said:
My first time seeing Creature was in anaglyph too and I thought it looked pretty good.
Yes, the Creature anaglyph remains the most impressive feature I've seen in that format.

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator
Even if we don't get it in 3D, is there a chance we can finally get the film in its proper 1.85:1 aspect ratio?

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Back in 2006 Universal did plan to have Sensio release in 3-D DVD, five titles - Creature from the Black Lagoon, It Came from Outer Space, Jaws 3-D, Revenge of the Creature and Taza , Son of Cochise. Only two were released, Jaws 3-D and Taza, Son of Cochise. You did need the Sensio processor to see the 3-D which at that time was $3000. Now its $995.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks