Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Creature from the Black Lagoon 3D (1954)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
288 replies to this topic

#21 of 289 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,129 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted June 26 2012 - 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Furmanek /t/321783/creature-from-the-black-lagoon-3d-1954#post_3942258 My first time seeing Creature was in anaglyph too and I thought it looked pretty good. Until I saw it in Polaroid. But a well-done anaglyph image can have depth too...  
As it was in the DVD version of THE STEWARDESSES.  As the cover said, the 3D effect was much better in Black & White than in color, however.... 
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#22 of 289 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,633 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted June 26 2012 - 11:24 AM

I like the Creature 3D snapshots. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the dimensionality seems to be "flat." For instance Julie Adams stands out from the background and is behind the foreground, but she is all on one dimensional plane. And we know she is 3D personified. Is this a limit of the anaglyph system or my computer? If we were watching this through a polarized theatrical system or on a blu-ray 3D, would Creature have full dimensionality? I won't object if you posted more.:) Edit: As I look at the figures of Richard Denning and Nestor Paiva, I do see demensionality in their figures. Perhaps I can't see the dimensionality in Julie because she occupies a smaller part of the screen?
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#23 of 289 OFFLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,894 posts

Posted June 26 2012 - 11:36 AM

I like the Creature 3D snapshots. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the dimensionality seems to be "flat." For instance Julie Adams stands out from the background and is behind the foreground, but she is all on one dimensional plane. And we know she is 3D personified. Is this a limit of the anaglyph system or my computer? If we were watching this through a polarized theatrical system or on a blu-ray 3D, would Creature have full dimensionality? I won't object if you posted more.:) Edit: As I look at the figures of Richard Denning and Nestor Paiva, I do see demensionality in their figures. Perhaps I can't see the dimensionality in Julie because she occupies a smaller part of the screen?
Make sure you have red over your *right* eye for those stills.

Read the blog (please): www.bigscreenclassics.com

#24 of 289 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 4,277 posts

Posted June 26 2012 - 12:06 PM

Yes, your Dimensional Eyescopes must have the red lens over your right eye.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#25 of 289 OFFLINE   Doctorossi

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor

• 841 posts

Posted June 26 2012 - 12:12 PM

Yes, your Dimensional Eyescopes must have the red lens over your right eye.
Personally, I use non-variable planar OcuDaptors with Bakelite field housings. :cool:

#26 of 289 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,122 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 26 2012 - 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoHud /t/321783/creature-from-the-black-lagoon-3d-1954#post_3942108 My guess is that Universal is taking a similar stance as Paramount did with Hondo in that they don't think sales would be high enough to invest in a 3D transfer.
  Really disappointing if that is their way of thinking, they would maximise sales by putting out a 2D/3D version at the same time, i think this has double dip written all over it but only if Dial M For Murder sells well, i hope people buy that title so we can get more classic 3D cinema released on Blu ray.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#27 of 289 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,129 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted June 27 2012 - 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder /t/321783/creature-from-the-black-lagoon-3d-1954#post_3942496   Really disappointing if that is their way of thinking, they would maximise sales by putting out a 2D/3D version at the same time, i think this has double dip written all over it but only if Dial M For Murder sells well, i hope people buy that title so we can get more classic 3D cinema released on Blu ray.
  And I intend to buy Dial M For Murder and I am not 3D compatible yet, but if this gets more Golden Age 3D, then it will be time to go 3D.  What is out today just does not do it for me. 
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#28 of 289 OFFLINE   Doctorossi

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor

• 841 posts

Posted June 27 2012 - 06:07 AM

And I intend to buy Dial M For Murder and I am not 3D compatible yet
You and I, we share a boat.

#29 of 289 OFFLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 994 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted June 27 2012 - 08:51 AM

And I intend to buy Dial M For Murder and I am not 3D compatible yet, but if this gets more Golden Age 3D, then it will be time to go 3D.  What is out today just does not do it for me. 
I've had my 2D projector for five years now. I will go 3D if we get more 1950s classics and after the new projectors are out in the fall.

#30 of 289 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,820 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted June 27 2012 - 09:53 AM

I've had my 2D projector for five years now. I will go 3D if we get more 1950s classics and after the new projectors are out in the fall.
I have about 500 hours left on the bulb of my Sanyo PLV-Z4 720p front projector. When the bulb goes I will get a 1080p 3-D projector. It looks like from reviews that the DLP's have the least amount of crosstalk/ghosting.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#31 of 289 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,786 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted June 27 2012 - 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandL /t/321783/creature-from-the-black-lagoon-3d-1954#post_3942694 I have about 500 hours left on the bulb of my Sanyo PLV-Z4 720p front projector. When the bulb goes I will get a 1080p 3-D projector. It looks like from reviews that the DLP's have the least amount of crosstalk/ghosting.
  I'm in a similar situation, but I'm hoping for more than just one title to hang my 3D hat on (well, two since I'd likely pick up the 3D version of Hugo).

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#32 of 289 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,122 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 27 2012 - 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi /t/321783/creature-from-the-black-lagoon-3d-1954#post_3942628 You and I, we share a boat.
  The boats getting fuller, i'm rowing towards this one too.

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#33 of 289 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,820 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted June 27 2012 - 12:11 PM

The boats getting fuller, i'm rowing towards this one too.
The price for 3D ready TV's keeps coming down. I have seen Samsung's 51 inch Plasma for about $600. Its 720p but I work in retail and unless you are only a few feet from the TV, your eyes cannot tell the difference between 720p and 1080p.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#34 of 289 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,122 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 27 2012 - 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RolandL /t/321783/creature-from-the-black-lagoon-3d-1954/30#post_3942760

The price for 3D ready TV's keeps coming down. I have seen Samsung's 51 inch Plasma for about $600. Its 720p but I work in retail and unless you are only a few feet from the TV, your eyes cannot tell the difference between 720p and 1080p.

Here's a seating recommended distance guide for resolution and distance, it covers 720p and 1080p, it also covers lower resolutions and goes into some detail about why.

http://carltonbale.c...0p-does-matter/

#35 of 289 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,820 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted June 27 2012 - 12:28 PM

I'm in a similar situation, but I'm hoping for more than just one title to hang my 3D hat on (well, two since I'd likely pick up the 3D version of Hugo).
I already have: Bolt Tangled Open Season Piranha 3D Resident Evil: Afterlife Despicable Me Imax Deep Sea Monster House Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs Yogi Bear 3D Monster's VS. Aliens Imax Under The Sea Megamind Michael Jackon's This Is IT Most I received for free (came with the my Sony 3D TV) or $5 each as one of the bonuses of working retail. Others I just bought the Blu-ray 3D disc on eBay for $15. Otherwise I wouldn't have them. They look OK on my 55 inch Sony 3D TV in my family room as I'm sitting about 13 feet from it - should be 6 or 7 feet for the best 3D effect . But once I get a 3D projector with a 120 inch image and sitting about 14 feet in my home theatre room the 3D image should look a lot better.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#36 of 289 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 2,452 posts

Posted June 27 2012 - 02:20 PM

I'll refine the above list to my more civilized collection (and by "civilized", I mean that before Cloudy/Meatballs, I'd never seen a movie actually bounce off the walls) of: Toy Story 2 Tangled Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows Pt. 2 Monsters vs. Aliens Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader Adventures of Tintin The Nightmare Before Christmas Cirque du Soleil: Journey of Man but admit that even with a set, I feel discontented and I'm still waiting for that rush of 50's Golden and 80's Silver Age titles. I'd have long since bought the PS3-only prints of "Mad Magician" and the Three Stooges "Pardon My Backfire", but I'm waiting for Sony to come to their senses--$29.99 for a short??

#37 of 289 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,820 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted June 27 2012 - 02:39 PM

I'll refine the above list to my more civilized collection (and by "civilized", I mean that before Cloudy/Meatballs, I'd never seen a movie actually bounce off the walls) of: Toy Story 2 Tangled Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows Pt. 2 Monsters vs. Aliens Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader Adventures of Tintin The Nightmare Before Christmas Cirque du Soleil: Journey of Man but admit that even with a set, I feel discontented and I'm still waiting for that rush of 50's Golden and 80's Silver Age titles. I'd have long since bought the PS3-only prints of "Mad Magician" and the Three Stooges "Pardon My Backfire", but I'm waiting for Sony to come to their senses--$29.99 for a short??
Yes, $29.99 is too much for Mad Magician when you can buy the 3D Blu-ray of Dial M for Murder for $25.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#38 of 289 OFFLINE   Todd J Moore

Todd J Moore

Second Unit

• 438 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted June 27 2012 - 02:50 PM

It seems doubtful that MM will get a 3D Blu release at this point since WHV is releasing it in 2D MOD through the Archive. Which stinks, because I would totally buy it...even at $30 or $40. What I do not want is to buy a PS3 to download one movie and one short. If Sony released the rest of their 50s 3D catalog for PS3 download, I'd be more receptive to the idea. Until such time, deal me sadly out.

Viewing a 3D movie in 2D is kinda like viewing a Scope movie in Pan and Scan.

#39 of 289 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,678 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted June 27 2012 - 02:58 PM

Do I understand this correctly?  There is a 3D version of Mad Magician released?  And it's only for PS3s?

#40 of 289 OFFLINE   Todd J Moore

Todd J Moore

Second Unit

• 438 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted June 27 2012 - 03:01 PM

You understand correctly. Again, had Sony released more classics, I would have bought a PS3 and already downloaded them. But all this time and only MM and Pardon My Backfire. Rats.

Viewing a 3D movie in 2D is kinda like viewing a Scope movie in Pan and Scan.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users