Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

WHV Press Release: Dial M For Murder (3D Blu-ray) and Strangers On A Train (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#181 of 194 Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,049 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted May 24 2013 - 09:18 PM

I'll post just one more, from Blu-ray.com, but there are legions more examples of people having ghosting problems with DIAL M FOR MURDER specifically.  Something went wrong somewhere with this release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorkonig41 viewpost.gif
Just watched this and the ringing was much ado about nothing. However, I don't know if it is my display or the disc, but I had an incredible about of ghosting going on throughout. Despite that, I felt it looked pretty good considering how bad this film has always looked. Anyone else have the ghosting problem?
Yes, I did have the ghosting problem, and I don't think it's my (active) tv. I very rarely have ghosting or crosstalk issues. Again, it didn't ruin my enjoyment of the movie, but I am a little apprehensive about a (hopefully)
future release of House of Wax.

#182 of 194 GregK

GregK

Supporting Actor

• 951 posts

Posted May 25 2013 - 11:56 AM

I'll post just one more, from Blu-ray.com, but there are legions more examples of people having ghosting problems with DIAL M FOR MURDER specifically.  Something went wrong somewhere with this release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorkonig41 viewpost.gif
Just watched this and the ringing was much ado about nothing. However, I don't know if it is my display or the disc, but I had an incredible about of ghosting going on throughout. Despite that, I felt it looked pretty good considering how bad this film has always looked. Anyone else have the ghosting problem?
Yes, I did have the ghosting problem, and I don't think it's my (active) tv. I very rarely have ghosting or crosstalk issues. Again, it didn't ruin my enjoyment of the movie, but I am a little apprehensive about a (hopefully)
future release of House of Wax.

Nothing went wrong with this release.  It's your given display.  See this post for details:

http://www.hometheat...-ray/?p=3929177

Or pick up the new Spears and Munsil Bluray test disc which also has 3D test patterns if you need further confirmation.

#183 of 194 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,440 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted May 25 2013 - 12:14 PM

There is no ghosting on my Mitsubishi DLP display. But that's a given. :)

#184 of 194 Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,071 posts

Posted May 25 2013 - 12:25 PM

It looks great on my display and better than any dual-strip 35mm or single-strip Stereovision presentation I've ever seen since March 1980.

http://www.3dfilmarc...-of-the-archive

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

As there has been some colorful debate about the meaning of "Director-approved" transfers and how it relates to how widespread 1.66 was in the UK, I will make the following point. The dominant aspect ratio at British Studios between 1955-1970 WAS 1.75. This is based on research going through trade listings of hundreds of British films, as well as studio archives and other primary sources. 1.85 was the second most listed aspect ratio, with 1.65/1.66 a distant third.

Tom Crossplot - July 2013

#185 of 194 Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,049 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted May 26 2013 - 07:53 PM

If there's no problem with this release, then WHY do so many only have ghosting with this release and not others?

#186 of 194 Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,049 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted May 26 2013 - 08:02 PM

And if CREATURE looks great on my setup, how would high contrast, objects placed in Z space, etc. have any bearing on DIAL M? The ENTIRE THING looks like ghosted garbage, whereas CREATURE, which has scenes of high contrast and much deeper, more effective use of 3D throughout, looked absolutely great.

#187 of 194 Todd J Moore

Todd J Moore

Second Unit

• 309 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted May 26 2013 - 08:16 PM

I just watched this on Friday for the third time and saw no ghosting whatsoever. None. Nada. Zip. Zero. Not a single frame. And I apparently am hardly the only one.

Viewing a 3D movie in 2D is kinda like viewing a Scope movie in Pan and Scan.

#188 of 194 EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor

• 572 posts
  • LocationHull, Yorkshire

Posted May 27 2013 - 06:00 AM

It's not just a problem with DIAL M. I don't know if you've seen it yourself, but HUGO has ghosting just as bad on my active plasma, but less frequently. 

If your TV/Projector is compatible, you might want to invest in some RF glasses rather than IR too. They are more effective at eliminating ghosting.

#189 of 194 Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,526 posts

Posted May 27 2013 - 07:18 AM

There is no ghosting on my Mitsubishi DLP display. But that's a given. :)

That's the type of display I used for my review
Of Dial M 3D. No issues on my end either.
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#190 of 194 RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,109 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted May 28 2013 - 06:20 AM

It's not just a problem with DIAL M. I don't know if you've seen it yourself, but HUGO has ghosting just as bad on my active plasma, but less frequently.

On my Sony KDL55NX810 I did notice some ghosting in certain scenes especially at the end of HUGO but, most of it is eliminated on my Panasonic AE8000U front projector.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#191 of 194 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 3,859 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted May 28 2013 - 08:12 AM

I noted ghosting on HUGO as well, but chalked it up to the combination of my plasma display and extreme contrast elements (bright lights on dark backgrounds, which are prevalent in scenes of Hugo's living quarters and the areas behind the clocks).

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#192 of 194 JSul

JSul

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted May 31 2013 - 10:45 AM

Barnes & Noble have 40% off all blurays.....good time to grab up DMFM/3d for just over 20 bucks

#193 of 194 RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,109 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted May 31 2013 - 11:10 AM

Barnes & Noble have 40% off all blurays.....good time to grab up DMFM/3d for just over 20 bucks

I went to their web site and its $35.99. It's not listed under their 40% off list.

Edited by RolandL, May 31 2013 - 11:47 AM.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#194 of 194 JSul

JSul

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted June 02 2013 - 05:33 AM

Must be an 'in store only' sale?
Was at my local BN and had signs up, all blurays 40 % off....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users