Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Lionsgate Press Release: Mad Monster Party (Blu-ray Combo)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,921 posts

Posted June 21 2012 - 06:06 AM

Posted Image

What better way to get in the Halloween sprit than by celebrating with a monster party? Lionsgate Home Entertainment makes Mad Monster Party availablefor the first time in High Definition with the release of the Blu-ray Combo Pack (Blu-ray + DVD) as well as HD Digital Download and On Demand arriving just in time for the spookiest holiday of the year as well as the theatrical release of the similarly themed Hotel Transylvania. From the team who created the stop-motion and animated holiday classics "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" and "Frosty the Snowman," Mad Monster Partystars the voice talents of Boris Karloff (Frankenstein) and Phyllis Diller (Eight on the Lam). The Blu-ray Combo Pack bonus materials include a "making of" featurette, plus two featurettes that look at the animation and the music of the film, as well as two bonus sing-along tracks. The Mad Monster Party Blu-ray Combo Pack arrives on September 4th for the suggested retail price of $14.99.

Baron Von Frankenstein (voice of Boris Karloff) has decided to retire as the head of the Worldwide Organization of Monsters. But first, he must inform the other monsters about his plans. How to deliver the news? How else - through a Mad Monster Party! Von Frankenstein's guests include a who's who of Halloween favorites, including the Werewolf, Dracula, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, the Mummy, the Invisible Man and more. But who among them is fit to be the new head of the monsters? 

BLU-RAY & DVD COMBO PACK SPECIAL FEATURES*

• "Mad Monster Party: Making of a Cult Classic" featurette
  • "Groovy Ghouls: The Music of Mad Monster Party" featurette
  • "It's Sheer Animagic! Secrets of Stop-Motion Animation" featurette
  • Two Bonus sing-along tracks for kids of all ages
  • Trailer
  • *Subject to change

CAST

Boris Karloff                  FrankensteinThriller, Bride of FrankensteinThe Mummy

Ethel Ennis                   Feature film debut

Gale Garnett                 My Big Fat Greek WeddingOvernight

Allen Swift                     TV's "Diver Dan," TV's "The Beagles"

And Phyllis Diller            A Bug's Life, TV's "Family Guy," TV's "The Phyllis Diller Show"

PROGRAM INFORMATION

Year of Production: 1967

Title of Copyright: © STUDIOCANAL - Videocraft International Ltd. All Rights Reserved.

Type: Blu-ray Disc and Digital Premiere

Rating: Not Rated

Genre: Family/Animation

Blu-ray Closed Captioned: English SDH

DVD Closed Captioned: English

Blu-ray Subtitles: English and Spanish

Blu-ray Format: 1080P High Definition 4x3 Full Screen (1.33:1)

DVD Format: 4x3 Full Screen (1.33:1)

Blu-ray Audio Status: English Monaural DTS-HD Master Audio

DVD Audio Status: English Monaural Dolby Digital Audio

Feature Running Time: 95 minutes

Ronald J Epstein
    Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 19 Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 453 posts

Posted June 21 2012 - 06:41 AM

Very cool.

Although, I find my current DVD holds up very well upconverted to my display.

#3 of 19 Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,094 posts
    • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted June 21 2012 - 07:20 AM

Nice didn't expect this!

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
    MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
    Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
    Pioneer LD CLD-D505
    Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#4 of 19 SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,400 posts

Posted June 21 2012 - 03:32 PM

Wow! Totally unexpected. I do hope they resist the temptation to paint out wires, or the animator who accidentally was captured on one frame of the pier scene. ;)

#5 of 19 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted June 21 2012 - 05:16 PM

I hope they reinstate the final "Yea!" at the very end of the movie. It has been missing from every dvd release. Other than that, the dvd was beautiful, so I expect the blu ray to be as well.

#6 of 19 SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,400 posts

Posted June 21 2012 - 09:58 PM

Curiously, it's in the trailer. I remember it from all the times I saw it on tv over the years. It was also on the old VHS copy I had from Embassy Home Entertainment. I checked it after the first time I watched the DVD, (to make sure I wasn't imagining the missing "yea!") and there did seem to be a audio splice or something at the end where it's heard. Is it possible the film was patched at some point in the distant past, and every other pre DVD incarnation used a copy that had this "fix"?

#7 of 19 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,651 posts
    • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted June 21 2012 - 11:42 PM

Been meaning to pick up that DVD. Now I'm meaning to pick up this bluray instead. Cool! I've never seen this but it looks like the live action movie Monster Club, Groovy Ghoulies and Rudolph the red nosed reindeer mixed all up together and stuff.
    Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#8 of 19 NY2LA

NY2LA

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted June 22 2012 - 12:17 AM

Im so wary of anything coming from Lionsgate due to their bad to apalling treatment of some favorites... but I wonder if this means we will eventually see The Daydreamer in HD... if so I wish they would put the curtain calls back at the end where there were made for. For news of this any any other related titles check out rankinbass.com. The more that fellow is involved the better these properties turn out.

#9 of 19 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted June 22 2012 - 02:16 AM

Maybe the "yea" isn't supposed to be there and they took it from the trailer or some other track. Maybe they used it in the past to cover a pop or splice on the soundtrack?

#10 of 19 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,008 posts
    • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted June 23 2012 - 04:06 PM

I hav the first DVD nt the second, second had more features I think. Also a bad print is on NF streaming. I hope this looks great, one of my childhood favorites.
    facebook.com/whotony

#11 of 19 NY2LA

NY2LA

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted June 24 2012 - 05:21 AM

Maybe the "yea" isn't supposed to be there and they took it from the trailer or some other track. Maybe they used it in the past to cover a pop or splice on the soundtrack?

If you go to rankinbass.com and email Rick Goldschmidt from there you can get a definitive answer.

#12 of 19 PaulMSchneider

PaulMSchneider

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted October 07 2012 - 10:12 AM

Being October, some of the old Halloween standbys are on view at my house. Sorry to report that the recent Lionsgate Blu-ray Disc release is a big step down from the Anchor Bay DVD, which I also own. Scratches, faded colors, and inconsistent contrast throughout. Sometimes, it's overly dark, other times it's milky and faded. The older DVD has a much better picture. Rich color (not faded at all), and few if any scratches. No inconsistencies, either. Surprisingly strong detail for standard def. I'm not sure what happened. I understand that both were taken from an existing print, not the original negative, but if it's the same print used in both cases, someone was storing it in direct sunlight on a sandy beach. There is no comparison in the quality. If you are interested in this (kinda silly but fun if you grew up seeing it on TV) stop-motion movie, find the old Anchor Bay DVD. The up-conversion via a BD player puts it way ahead of this new Blu-ray Disc in all respects.

#13 of 19 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,008 posts
    • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted October 07 2012 - 10:20 AM

How is the dvd in the set?
    facebook.com/whotony

#14 of 19 PaulMSchneider

PaulMSchneider

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted October 07 2012 - 10:30 AM

I didn't bother to look at it after I saw the bad Blu-ray Disc. I just went back to my old DVD because the quality was so much better. I'll take a look at it at some point, I suppose, but I assume it's from the same master as the Blu-ray Disc, which would be a shame.

#15 of 19 Bill Coolidge

Bill Coolidge

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted October 07 2012 - 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by TonyD 

I hav the first DVD nt the second, second had more features I think. Also a bad print is on NF streaming.
    I hope this looks great, one of my childhood favorites.

I too saw that this was on Amazon streaming and now it looks like it's on Netflix. It didn't look that great to me, on the other hand I'd never seen it before. Is the blu-ray a step up in quality from the streaming version?

#16 of 19 NY2LA

NY2LA

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted October 07 2012 - 01:38 PM

Lionsgate was responsible for one of the absolute worst DVDs I have ever seen. Drew Barrymore's Irreconcilable Differences - a nice likable comedy with Ryan O'Neal, Shelley Long and Sharon Stone - was very clearly mastered from an old pan/scan VHS, and this was released from them only a couple years ago. Some scenes were so dark you couldn't see what was going on, the menus were really cheesy disco themed, and the disc began with a trailer for an awful z grade recent horror movie - the quality of that stupid trailer was great, but the feature looked like s--t!. With major studios like Warner and Fox and Universal releasing old DVD transfers on Blu, is it any surprise LionsGate would do at least as bad? At least Anchor Bay made a good effort and did a nice job - their release even had an easter egg- two bonus R/B trailers

#17 of 19 SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,400 posts

Posted October 08 2012 - 11:39 AM

Glad I haven't bought this yet. I watched the AB disc last Halloween and it did look good. Maybe Lionsgate used the old VHS master? That was a horrible, dark, washed out and faded print.

#18 of 19 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted October 08 2012 - 12:31 PM

The dvd looks SO much better than this coaster.

#19 of 19 Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,074 posts

Posted October 08 2012 - 03:23 PM

I think it looks fine -- the print is a little raggedy, but not that bad and clarity of the puppets is much improved over the old DVD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users