Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

USHE Announcement: Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection (Blu-ray)

Universal

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1706 replies to this topic

#21 of 1707 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,962 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted June 21 2012 - 10:54 AM

read thru this thread and the one at bluray.com, and while i can understand the inclusion of NBNW, as a trade for Spartacus, i will say that i would have rather seen universal make an araingment with Fox for Lifeboat. its the only title that Fox has, since MGM has already done there releases, as for some of the items originaly in the WB Hitchcock set, i think some of the rumores on here is that some will be getting a relase via Criterion. as for some of the early Hitchcock titles left, i am wondering if maybe Olive will do something?

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#22 of 1707 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,466 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted June 21 2012 - 11:18 AM

I'm trusting the transfers will all be of Pillow Talk quality (and hopefully my trust will be rewarded.)  I, too, hope they've revisted The Man Who Knew Too Much, but we'll see.  I'm thrilled they're doing this big box all at once.  I'm sure individual releases will come for people who only want select titles, but for me, this is a dream.  Even at full retail price, if need be (and it won't.)

#23 of 1707 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,962 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted June 21 2012 - 11:28 AM

but with Uni's hit or miss this year think i will wait for reviews before i purchase

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#24 of 1707 OFFLINE   jacksparrow900

jacksparrow900

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted June 21 2012 - 12:08 PM

It would be nice if Warner did this with their Hitchcock Titles. They should of made a deal with paramount for to catch a thief since it's the only Paramount title not in this collection.

#25 of 1707 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted June 21 2012 - 12:44 PM

Amazon UK is offering a "Masterpiece Collection" box (minus NORTH BY NORTHWEST) that costs $151 at the moment. It should be region-free. (I bought PILLOW TALK region-free from Amazon UK. It's Blu-ray only and costs $16, $11-$12 less than the US, which also has a DVD. HARVEY will also be available Blu-only, region-free, and cheaper from the UK.)

#26 of 1707 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted June 21 2012 - 01:35 PM

Regarding the WB holdings, they lost the rights to Foreign Correspondent, yes?

#27 of 1707 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,293 posts

Posted June 21 2012 - 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by JoHud 

Regarding the WB holdings, they lost the rights to Foreign Correspondent, yes?

I believe that is correct.  Rumor mill says Criterion may release on BD (based on the fact they released Stagecoach which WHV also lost rights to)

Hopefully RAH will chime on this set to the extent he is able to speak freely.  On the surface this would be a no-brainer and "release of the year" contender but Universal's spotty record does raise a legitimate cause of concern.

Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#28 of 1707 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,168 posts

Posted June 21 2012 - 03:11 PM

I do hope they fixed the color of the Vertigo opening titles but I'm not holding my breath.

#29 of 1707 OFFLINE   Derrick King

Derrick King

Second Unit

• 499 posts

Posted June 21 2012 - 03:20 PM

I believe that is correct.  Rumor mill says Criterion may release on BD (based on the fact they released Stagecoach which WHV also lost rights to)

And the fact that it has been on Criterion's Hulu channel for some time.

#30 of 1707 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted June 21 2012 - 03:23 PM

I do hope they fixed the color of the Vertigo opening titles but I'm not holding my breath.

Universal has let me done so many times in the past that I've set my expectations fairly low. I'm expecting the incorrectly colored titles and a mislabeled "original mono" track on Vertigo.
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#31 of 1707 OFFLINE   Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Screenwriter

• 1,074 posts
  • LocationBeacon Falls, CT

Posted June 21 2012 - 03:50 PM

I'll have to wait for reviews before I pounce on this. Hoping that my personal favorites: Vertigo, The Trouble With Harry, Rear Window, Rope, and The Man Who Knew to Much will pass RAH's scrutiny.

#32 of 1707 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,749 posts

Posted June 22 2012 - 03:20 AM

Fantastic! This is great news. All my favorites, and a few I have never seen like 'Family Plot' which has been on my radar for years. Glad I'll be watching it on Blu for the first time.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#33 of 1707 OFFLINE   mikeyhitchfan

mikeyhitchfan

Second Unit

• 481 posts
  • LocationCosta Mesa CA

Posted June 22 2012 - 03:31 AM

Question for RAH..Vertigo lists a DTS Surround Mono track. Is that the original mono mix? In surround?

#34 of 1707 OFFLINE   moovtune

moovtune

Stunt Coordinator

• 123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 22 2012 - 03:55 AM

I believe that's just the way DTS names its format - "DTS Digital Surround"- what's important is what comes after 2.0 Mono. Which is 2 track mono, no surround. L & R carry the same information.

#35 of 1707 OFFLINE   mikeyhitchfan

mikeyhitchfan

Second Unit

• 481 posts
  • LocationCosta Mesa CA

Posted June 22 2012 - 04:15 AM

I hope so. With all due respect I prefer the original mono track.

#36 of 1707 OFFLINE   Paul_Warren

Paul_Warren

Second Unit

• 403 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted June 22 2012 - 04:46 AM

Would have been a blind pre-order from me especially as Amazon UK are selling for only £113 but Universals recent poor catalog blurays will make me wait on this to hear accurate consumer reviews.

#37 of 1707 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,015 posts

Posted June 22 2012 - 05:05 AM

I guess someone at Universal was a fan of the Essential Laurel & Hardy Collection as the packaging looks very similar. Hopefully, they remembered to include the paper sleeves from the beginning. I wonder if the fact that this a 15 disk set with a huge price tag says anything about what Universal might do with the classic monsters. Will it just be the major titles, or will they do the various minor titles that appeared on the Legacy Collections and various double feature dvds. How many 1 hr 15 min films could be included on a BD50? My guess would be that we'll see a press release next month. I can't wait. As for this collection, I just hope they get Rear Window right or I won't think about it.

#38 of 1707 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted June 22 2012 - 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by JoeDoakes 

I guess someone at Universal was a fan of the Essential Laurel & Hardy Collection as the packaging looks very similar. Hopefully, they remembered to include the paper sleeves from the beginning.

In all honestly, book packaging is a much bigger issue with DVD than Blu-ray. The scratch resistant coating on BDs works really well. In 7+ years of handling Blu-ray discs the only thing I've seen make one skip is fingerprints, and that was easily solved by removing the print from the disc.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#39 of 1707 OFFLINE   AL KUENSTER

AL KUENSTER

Second Unit

• 359 posts

Posted June 22 2012 - 06:18 AM

I don't have any of these titles on BR yet but do have most on DVD and some of these will definitely need remastering for BR. Like some have said here I will wait for reviews. Keeping fingers crossed!
Al Kuenster

#40 of 1707 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted June 22 2012 - 06:24 AM

In all honestly, book packaging is a much bigger issue with DVD than Blu-ray. The scratch resistant coating on BDs works really well. In 7+ years of handling Blu-ray discs the only thing I've seen make one skip is fingerprints, and that was easily solved by removing the print from the disc.

Good point. I forget that blu-rays are much more scratch resistant that DVDs, so sleeve packaging shouldn't be the issue it is with similar DVD sets.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Universal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users