What's new

2012 Panasonic Plasma discussion and owners thread GT, ST, VT (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
So, many of you saw my pain getting a defective 65" VT50, Panny's flagship for 2012:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/317509/opinion-needed-on-the-panasonic-65-vt30-series
Well, Panny still haven't returned my cash (!!!!!!) but I went and bought another at Amazon, it got here today and I made sure this one was perfect before letting the driver leave, he insisted I do so which was good.
It is BEAUTIFUL straight out of the box, not a single thing changed, no calibration, no custom color.
I can't believe that it is going to get even better than this.
I looked around and discovered I didn't have a single 3d Bluray so ran to Target quick before they closed and got the only thing I could, Ghost Rider 2, expecting it would suck.
Holy crap it BLEW ME AWAY. The 3d is STUNNING and we have only watched the first hour or so but the story isn't as bad as we feared. That and Sherlock 2 in 2D was a good first night with my new set!
Soon: Calibration!

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
Nice to hear I have the VT25 and it has been the best TV I have ever owned. You have me curious about Ghost Rider 2.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
We recently got the GT50 but I haven't had a chance to try the 3D yet...picture and sound out of the box is very nice, with even my "don't care" wife remarking on the picture and sound (yes, sound from the TV!) improvements over the 5 year old Samsung DLP it replaced...
Anyone using the PS3 for 3D playback?
I will most likely get an OPPO BDP 93 or 95 later on but was wondering how the PS3 was given some of the "limitations" from 6 year old hardware...don't get me wrong, the PS3 is a technical marvel, but I believe it has HDMI 1.3 (as 1.4 wasn't even released yet) and hence may not be able to produce full HD 3D...
Joe

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I am using the PS3 for BD playback and my STB has ESPN 3d.
I think I overdid it on my first 3D Bluray buy:
iphone.jpg

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sam Posten said:
Well, Panny still haven't returned my cash (!!!!!!) but I went and bought another at Amazon, it got here today and I made sure this one was perfect before letting the driver leave, he insisted I do so which was good.
It is BEAUTIFUL straight out of the box, not a single thing changed, no calibration, no custom color.
2 things
1) Congrats and it sounds like a dream
2) I can't remember if you get alerts for PM's on the new forum or not so -- I just sent you a PM for something you may be able to use.
Oh wait -- I meant 3 things
3) I'm so jealous. (Insert a stick my tongue out smiley in your mind since I hate those little things)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
David, thanks for that. They were always out of stock by the time I checked so it doesn't seem I will get any cash back but it was great to have you think of me!
I -FINALLY- got credited back for my busted Vt50 from Panasonic this morning, thus ending one of the most frustrating 2 months of my life. Thanks for all your support here.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
yeah on the refund!!
The Pannys are frkn awesome. I worked on another 65ST50 last evening. Very nice!!

Real Name
mac
I have the 65" vt50.
Applied the cnet settings and the picture is sick. Easily the best I've ever seen. That black levels are ridiculous

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
With the 2013s announced the VT50 is no longer the top of the line. VT50 and a Z model. 2012 prices dropping nicely: http://slickdeals.net/f/5788476-Adorama-TV-Sale-65-Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P65VT50-1080p-3D-Plasma-HDTV-2399-47-LG-47LM7600-WiFi-1080p-240Hz-3D-LED-HDTV-w-6-Pairs-3D-Glasses-799-Panasonic-DMP-BDT220-3D-WiFi-Bl

noob5684

Agent
Real Name
Colin B.
How do I save the viera link so every time we turn on the tv, We don't have to switch from tv to home theater? Please help us. :confused:

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Anyone know where I can the Panasonic 3D glasses that I'm supposed to use with my new P60GT50? The ones in the manual are ER3D4MU. Can't find them anywhere. Are there any equivalent models that will work for me?

I'm totally new to the 3D stuff.

Thanks

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Nothing really to contribute, Sam...except major congrats on the new set and getting your refund on the first one.

I have been enjoying my ST55 since Christmastime. And I mean really enjoying it. It is just marvelous.

I'm not a 3-D guy. Don't like the idea of watching TV with the glasses. The 2-D image is plenty beautiful for me.

EDIT: Just realized the date of the OP. D'oh! Gotta learn how to pay attention to the new layout better! :biggrin:

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
As a new owner of a VT50, I have a couple of questions...

1. Can I use any USB web cam with this TV to use Skype, or does it have to be Panasonic specific? I want to use USB but do not want to purchase it if it does not work (eg. Logitech).

2. I currently have the TV using the HDMI1 input. My receiver supports ARC and I have it set up for cable. I noticed that HDMI2 on the TV is apprently used for ARC. When I first turn on the system using Harmony, selecting anything other than Cable/Sat, it ends up going to Cable/Sat anyway. This happens only when the system is turned on. If it is already on, it switches to the inputs like it is supposed to. Should I be using the ARC HDMI? I found no documentation explaining when to use it depending on system configuration.

Any insight is appreciated.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Can't help you on the webcam...but, considering "everything" I've stuck into our Panny USB has worked...I see no reason for a webcam not to. Besides, if it has Skype...and no built in camera, you have to be able to add one...and if Panny made that "Ours specifically", shame on them...anyway.

ARC.

ARC sucks. All it is for is to keep you from having to run a toslink. Is there any audio you need from the set itself back to the AVR?

99% of people give up on ARC once they realize CEC is involved. And Panny(notoriously) is the worst offender when the "other piece" isn't a Panasonic HTiB.

On our Panny, I turned off all the "CEC related" functions. Having any of them on, causes issues.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Oh yeah, here's a Skype thing you can try. My Uncle has an LG(he's on standard cable and we needed a TV we knew had QAM) and Skype.

We connected a Blackberry phone via the USB and used its camera in "camcorder mode" for the Skype. The same thing worked on a Samsung at a clients house. My Panny doesn't have Skype...and have had no reason to try it at any clients with a Panny.

But...try that by connecting a smart phone in camcorder mode to the Panny. If that works...anything will. Provided your smart phone can be used as a camcorder.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Ah... so the ARC HDMI is to send audio back. Ok... I don't need that.

I was not aware of CEC... where can one disable that in the menu? That may be the source of some issues I have.

I ask about the camera since Logitech uses drivers and obviously I cannot install drivers. I guess I'll take a chance.

Thanks for your help.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Viera Link is the CEC.

Anything that uses HDMI to "send controls elsewhere" is CEC. Onkyo calls it RIHD.

I've not played around enough to remember what is what in each and every Panny...

There is probably some form of "power control" (like if you turn off the TV, everything else turns off).

Basically anything that gives the TV control over something else...turn it all off.

The only CEC I use on any of my BD or TV is in my living rooom via the Hitachi. I left its "TV power control" on because I got tired of guests being in the house and going to bed(I get lots of weekend guests), figuring out how to turn the TV off...but forgetting to turn off the BD/DVD/Directv...

So, I cured that problem by turning on the Hitachi Power Control(which is exactly what it is called). Sucks when all I want to do is turn the Hitachi off and listen to a disc...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks