Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX HOME ENTERTAINMENT DEBUTS Manufacture-On-Demand DVD SERIES

Fox

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1111 replies to this topic

#881 of 1112 OFFLINE   moviefanatic1979

moviefanatic1979

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted July 03 2013 - 10:21 AM

I watched the Archives release of Lure of the Wilderness (1952) this evening.

It's a sharp print. Some nicks and dents here and there. Looks like a unrestored print. It's surely not a remaster, but coming from the archives, I'm not surprised.

A good movie, but the black levels could have been better. The colors didn't pop like they should, being a Technicolor movie.

Don't get me wrong, the colors were strong from time to time, but they mostly weren't quite right.

But, all in all, coming from this series, it's a good print even if it may be from a dated master.

I enjoyed the movie in spite of the picture quality's shortcomings.

I wish someone else on this forum could watch it. I'd like to know if they'd agree with me.

Sincerely,

Even B, Norway

#882 of 1112 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted July 03 2013 - 11:54 AM

I watched the Archives release of Lure of the Wilderness (1952) this evening.

I wish someone else on this forum could watch it. I'd like to know if they'd agree with me.

Sincerely,

Even B, Norway

My copy should arrive this weekend and I'll post my thoughts. I'm a fan of the original version (Renoir's Swamp Water) and I'm interested to see what Negulesco did with it. Curiously enough, Walter Brennan plays the same part in Lure that he did in Swamp.

#883 of 1112 OFFLINE   borisfw

borisfw

Supporting Actor

• 844 posts

Posted July 03 2013 - 03:37 PM

I watched Lure and thought it look ok . Not great . But ok . I also watched Swamp Water recently ,from Twilight . Lure seems to be pretty much the same movie with different actors . I enjoyed both versions . Didn't compare scene for scene , but both seemed to have all the same scenes . I liked the 40s version better .

#884 of 1112 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,204 posts

Posted July 03 2013 - 06:07 PM

LURE is indeed a remake, pretty much scene-by-scene. The Fox disc is OK, about on the level of WAY OF A GAUCHO, another Technicolor Fox that came out in 1952. SWAMP WATER, movie and TT Blu-ray, are better.

#885 of 1112 OFFLINE   lionel59

lionel59

Second Unit

• 447 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted July 03 2013 - 06:30 PM

Did not realize LURE is a remake of SWAMP WATER. Hollywood was "ahead of its time" when it came to recycling. I'm wondering what has happened to the MOD releases of HARD CONTRACT and KING OF THE KHYBER RIFLES.  The news that some CinemaScope titles such as THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE may be remastered in Wide Screen is very encouraging. Fox is finally listening to its customers.

Edited by lionel59, July 03 2013 - 06:31 PM.

#886 of 1112 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 907 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted July 04 2013 - 01:17 AM

While the Fox MOD programme has misfired they are putting out some good blu-ray titles (at least in Europe). This discussion confirms my belief that the major studios see the future as MOD and streaming. I am more convinced that we won't see a big increase in the number of catalogue titles being released until MOD is available for blu-ray.

#887 of 1112 OFFLINE   davidHartzog

davidHartzog

Second Unit

• 454 posts
  • Locationupstate NY

Posted July 04 2013 - 01:32 PM

King of the khyber Rifles is still coming, but Hard Contract seems to have fallen of the radar.
Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.

#888 of 1112 OFFLINE   borisfw

borisfw

Supporting Actor

• 844 posts

Posted July 04 2013 - 05:20 PM

Too bad about Hard Contract . I wanted that one .

#889 of 1112 OFFLINE   Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted July 04 2013 - 07:43 PM

Too bad about Hard Contract . I wanted that one .

Perhaps they are waiting on a superior master to be created, given their recent change of attitude on the MOD program.

By the way, has anyone seen the MOD of The Fighting Lady yet? It'd be nice to see that public domain title get a decent release.

Edited by Lromero1396, July 04 2013 - 07:45 PM.

#890 of 1112 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted July 05 2013 - 08:20 PM

Just finished Lure Of The Wilderness and it looks pretty good. Clarity is good and colors are, for the most part, nicely rendered. I'm pleased.

#891 of 1112 OFFLINE   davidHartzog

davidHartzog

Second Unit

• 454 posts
  • Locationupstate NY

Posted July 06 2013 - 07:10 AM

Watched Western Union, good transfer.
  • RLane777 likes this
Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.

#892 of 1112 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted July 15 2013 - 10:53 PM

Movies Unlimited has two new "scope" titles from the Fox Archives on pre-order for August 6th.

Hilda Crane (1956) with Jean Simmons is listed as wide screen but alas, Mardi Gras (1958) is listed as full screen.

#893 of 1112 OFFLINE   lionel59

lionel59

Second Unit

• 447 posts

Posted July 15 2013 - 10:56 PM

5 New Fox MODs announced today for July 23rd:

HILDA CRANE, an excellent drama with a terrific Jean Simmons performance,

MARDI GRAS (a Pat Boone musical) and

ROMANCE OF THE RIO GRANDE with Cesar Romero.

A FLEA IN HER EAR (Period comedy with Rex Harrison and Rachel Roberts)

STAIRCASE (Rex Harrison and Richard Burton)

According to ClassicFlix HILDA is 'Full Screen' but MOVIES UNLIMITED lists it as being in Widescreen. FMC plays a very nice CinemaScope transfer so let's hope this is the one they're going with. MARDI GRAS is listed as 'Full Screen' on both websites (although the cover poster art misleadlingly carries the CinemaScope logo.It has only been broadcast Panned + Scanned on the FMC.) RIO GRANDE is an Academy ratio movie from 1941.

A FLEA IN HER EAR was shot in 2.35:1 Panavision but it is listed as 'Full Screen'. STAIRCASE is cited as being a Widescreen release at SAE and Movies Unlimited.

I don't know what's happened to titles like KING OF THE KHYBER RIFLES and HARD CONTRACT, announced some time ago, but the release dates have come and gone. There is an upcoming UK release of KHYBER RIFLES, but no details yet as to it's ratio and soundtrack. (The Spanish release is in stereo, the Australian release is in mono).

Edited by lionel59, July 16 2013 - 02:30 AM.

#894 of 1112 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,834 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted July 16 2013 - 12:19 AM

Since the elements of "April Love" didn't make the grade for a Twilight Time release, might Fox offload the title in their MOD series?  Just a thought, seeing as we've now got "Mardi Gras" on the horizon.

Edited by classicmovieguy, July 16 2013 - 12:20 AM.

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#895 of 1112 ONLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,784 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted July 16 2013 - 07:40 AM

Well after all the talk that Fox might have gotten the news about pan-scan releases, we are disappointed again.
  • Matt Hough and Robin9 like this
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#896 of 1112 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,705 posts

Posted July 16 2013 - 08:19 AM

I've been mostly avoiding these lately, but had to watch The Road To Glory.  As usual it leaves a bit to be desired.  Being sourced from an NTA print is already a bad sign, however despite this it actually looks fairly decent.  Some noise, softness, chopped off cast credits but otherwise very good as NTA sourced transfers go

Since the elements of "April Love" didn't make the grade for a Twilight Time release, might Fox offload the title in their MOD series?  Just a thought, seeing as we've now got "Mardi Gras" on the horizon.

If it's anything like the upcoming Mardi Gras release (FS, P&S) I'd rather they just didn't release it until they decide to put some effort into something better than a 30 year old transfer.

Edited by JoHud, July 16 2013 - 08:23 AM.

• ahollis likes this

#897 of 1112 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,445 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 16 2013 - 01:04 PM

Well after all the talk that Fox might have gotten the news about pan-scan releases, we are disappointed again.

Exactly! Seems like Fox has learned nothing from past mistakes. Disappointing and infuriating.

• ahollis likes this

#898 of 1112 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,834 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted July 16 2013 - 01:33 PM

I think it's quite arrogant of them, personally.  Makes it even more puzzling when their Blu-ray classics output has been so stellar.

• ahollis likes this

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#899 of 1112 OFFLINE   Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,537 posts

Posted July 16 2013 - 08:34 PM

Looks as if the new anamorphic remasters rumour was just a fantasy.

I got excited there for a while.

Oh well.... back to the garbage.

#900 of 1112 OFFLINE   lionel59

lionel59

Second Unit

• 447 posts

Posted July 16 2013 - 11:52 PM

The anamorphic masters may still be "in the pipeline". These ones might have been set up before they began talking about improving things. I am hopeful that HILDA CRANE will be 16:9.

Re APRIL LOVE:  I hope they have a 2.35:1 master. I think they should consider restoring it themselves and doing a Blu Ray double feature with the earlier version- HOME IN INDIANA.

One thing's for sure- whatever current state the available elements are in, they won't be too poor for a Cinema Archives release....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users