Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX HOME ENTERTAINMENT DEBUTS Manufacture-On-Demand DVD SERIES

Fox

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1111 replies to this topic

#841 of 1112 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,845 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted June 18 2013 - 01:54 PM

What was the flaw on the Aussie release, Michael?  I purchased the Bounty edition of "Prince Valiant" but the picture was awfully jerky - I contacted the label who said they hadn't had any complaints before but sent me a replacement which was exactly the same. Made me very reluctant to purchase any more from the Bounty label.

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#842 of 1112 OFFLINE   Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,539 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted June 18 2013 - 08:37 PM

I have a couple of Bounty's Western titles and while the color and sharpness are fine, both have nasty and troublesome problems within the Video. 

The problem titles are "Streets Of Laredo" and "Saskatchewan".

Problems include the appearance of very annoying and detracting horizontal lines (sound bars?) moving up and down the image throughout both movies.

There is a noticeable hum on the Laredo soundtrack.

The films are not progressive which also detracts. (see image)

laredo1.jpg

I'm certainly not buying anymore titles from Bounty, as it's possible that they may have poor and inferior replication equipment.

(It might be having problems handling NTSC to Pal conversion)

This post is a follow up to the last few postings and I apologise for wandering off the main thread.  

#843 of 1112 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,087 posts

Posted June 18 2013 - 09:02 PM

Just watched Three Coins In A Fountain on Turner Classic movies in HD and it looked great. I bet this title is going to TT. I sure will buy it if it does. Boy on a Dolphin is another I think they are going to put out.

Edited by Mark Collins, June 18 2013 - 09:34 PM.

#844 of 1112 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,845 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted June 18 2013 - 09:21 PM

I have a couple of Bounty's Western titles and while the color and sharpness are fine, both have nasty and troublesome problems within the Video. 

The problem titles are "Streets Of Laredo" and "Saskatchewan".

Problems include the appearance of very annoying and detracting horizontal lines (sound bars?) moving up and down the image throughout both movies.

There is a noticeable hum on the Laredo soundtrack.

The films are not progressive which also detracts. (see image)

attachicon.giflaredo1.jpg

I'm certainly not buying anymore titles from Bounty, as it's possible that they may have poor and inferior replication equipment.

(It might be having problems handling NTSC to Pal conversion)

This post is a follow up to the last few postings and I apologise for wandering off the main thread.  

I do have a few more Bounty titles - their release of "The Princess Comes Across" (1936 Carole Lombard/Fred MacMurray) is a direct porting of the transfer from the US 'Carole Lombard Glamour Collection' in NTSC with subtitles.  Also their release of "Midnight" (1939, Claudette Colbert) is comparative to the American release, minus subs and Robert Osbourne's introduction.  They are hit-and-miss.  

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

#845 of 1112 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,845 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted June 18 2013 - 09:23 PM

Just watched Three Coins In A Fountain on Turner Classic movies in HD and it looked great. I bet this title is going to TT. I sure will buy it if it does. Boy on a Dolfin is another I think they are going to put out.

TT's treatment of "Boy on a Dolphin" would only be an improvement over the letterboxed prints we've previously had on DVD.

#846 of 1112 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,087 posts

Posted June 18 2013 - 09:40 PM

Byron your quick. I just thought I had mess up on Boy on a Dolphin and was going to do a qick edit LOL I think Razors Edge is going to TT too. I wish they would do Presdents Lady and Marilyn.

#847 of 1112 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,845 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted June 18 2013 - 10:13 PM

"Razor's Edge" would make lots of people very happy.  

#848 of 1112 OFFLINE   moviefanatic1979

moviefanatic1979

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted June 18 2013 - 10:16 PM

I'm new here.

I became a member to tell you this:

I got the "Princess of the Nile" DVD and watched it yesterday.

It's most certainly filmed in the academy ratio.

It won't look right zooming in to approx. Superscope ratio.

Even B.,

Norway

#849 of 1112 OFFLINE   Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,539 posts

Posted June 18 2013 - 11:17 PM

Welcome Even.

I must admit that I would never use Zoom on a 4:3 image.

Not only do you compromise the ratio but you also lose some of the DVD's image quality by blowing it up. 

Even using the TV's overscan can lower the image quality a tiny fraction.

Let's pray that TT rescue "Three Coins In The Fountain" and "Boy On A Dolphin" from Fox Archive Hell !

Doug.

Edited by Doug Bull, June 18 2013 - 11:22 PM.

#850 of 1112 OFFLINE   moviefanatic1979

moviefanatic1979

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted June 19 2013 - 12:01 AM

Thanks for the welcome, Doug!

Zooming in on the picture, using my Oppo Blu-ray player (not TV zoom), looked fine on the "The Naked Jungle" (1954) DVD. That one was filmed with Superscope in mind or protected for both ratios.

Even.

#851 of 1112 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,471 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted June 19 2013 - 04:28 AM

I have Three Coins in the Fountain on DVD issued in the Fox Studio Collection, and it looks splendid on DVD, so I'm not sure there is any danger of it going to the Fox Archives. If Fox doesn't release it themselves on Blu-ray, Twilight Time will, I think. (And since they're getting Love Is a Many Splendored Thing, Twilight TIme seems to be a good guess.)

#852 of 1112 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,707 posts

Posted June 19 2013 - 09:32 AM

I must admit that I would never use Zoom on a 4:3 image.

Not only do you compromise the ratio but you also lose some of the DVD's image quality by blowing it up. 

Even using the TV's overscan can lower the image quality a tiny fraction.

The best alternative I've found (without an Oppo player) is using a PC display using VLC player.  VLC has a setting that crops the video into multiple reset aspect ratio aspect ratios.  Very useful when dealing with open-matte transfers.  Yes, zooming in the fill the screen is necessary, but if the transfer quality is already strong, the drop in video quality is very minor.  Only an issue if the video quality is poor to begin with.

Of course, I prefer when the film is presented in its correct aspect ratio to begin with but dealing with open matte transfers is far less troublesome than unworkable old P&S transfers that Fox keeps exhuming onto home video.

#853 of 1112 OFFLINE   Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,162 posts

Posted June 19 2013 - 12:25 PM

The problem with zooming 4:3 material is that true open-matte transfers are pretty rare - they're usually slightly opened up on the top and bottom, and slightly cropped on the sides. And often the amount of cropping varies from shot-to-shot.

• JoHud likes this
Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

#854 of 1112 OFFLINE   Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted June 22 2013 - 07:17 AM

What was the flaw on the Aussie release, Michael?  I purchased the Bounty edition of "Prince Valiant" but the picture was awfully jerky - I contacted the label who said they hadn't had any complaints before but sent me a replacement which was exactly the same. Made me very reluctant to purchase any more from the Bounty label.

The master that Fox has been using for Prince Valiant in all of the transfers that I've seen has had severe horizontal jerking. This is a flaw in the remastering on Fox's part. I hope that PV makes it to Blu-ray soon from a new scan.

#855 of 1112 OFFLINE   Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted June 22 2013 - 07:21 AM

I have Three Coins in the Fountain on DVD issued in the Fox Studio Collection, and it looks splendid on DVD, so I'm not sure there is any danger of it going to the Fox Archives. If Fox doesn't release it themselves on Blu-ray, Twilight Time will, I think. (And since they're getting Love Is a Many Splendored Thing, Twilight TIme seems to be a good guess.)

Byron your quick. I just thought I had mess up on Boy on a Dolphin and was going to do a qick edit LOL I think Razors Edge is going to TT too. I wish they would do Presdents Lady and Marilyn.

Marilyn seems to be getting proper treatment from Fox since she's such a marketable figure (cue rimshot). Boy on a Dolphin is long overdue from TT and I'm consistently frustrated by how their releases are getting increasingly mainstream. I hope they get around to President's Lady as well. Razors Edge probably will end up with TT as will Three Coins in the Fountain, but I'm really hoping that Fox will release those two as part of the Studio Classics series on BD like they did on DVD.

#856 of 1112 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,845 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted June 22 2013 - 01:28 PM

The master that Fox has been using for Prince Valiant in all of the transfers that I've seen has had severe horizontal jerking. This is a flaw in the remastering on Fox's part. I hope that PV makes it to Blu-ray soon from a new scan.

The Blu-ray edition from Eureka in the UK looks fine to me with no jerkiness at all... 

#857 of 1112 OFFLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 776 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted June 22 2013 - 01:40 PM

The Blu-ray edition from Eureka in the UK looks fine to me with no jerkiness at all... 

I think he's talking about gate weave in the transfer which it does have.  I have the Eureka BD and just looked at it.  I wouldn't call it severe but it is there, more in some sections than others.  Below is a link to a site with some interesting info.  I think they make a worst case scenario for the older type of scanning, but a new transfer of PV on a newer scanner could help certainly with the weave.

http://www.lasergrap...s-scanning.html

Edited by John Hermes, June 22 2013 - 02:09 PM.

• SeanAx likes this

#858 of 1112 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,845 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted June 22 2013 - 02:02 PM

The Aussie Bounty edition of "Prince Valiant" had some severe jerkiness in motion (like a bad NTSC to PAL conversion case only worse).

#859 of 1112 OFFLINE   lionel59

lionel59

Second Unit

• 447 posts

Posted June 22 2013 - 07:35 PM

I have found that certain Open Matte titles look better "zoomed in" (egs. THE LONG LONG TRAILER, THE NAKED JUNGLE, THE COUNTRY GIRL, THE BIG KNIFE). I have not noticed too much "tightness" on the sides and prefer a little of that to endless empty space above the heads  of the cast.

A reviewer on Amazon.com has stated that the Fox MOD of UNTAMED is in stereo, with the trumpets at the start of the movie (Ie. in the prologue) going back and forth between the right and left speakers. The Spanish transfer was in mono. As the Franz Waxman score is one of his best from the '50's (see my own review at Amazon), this sounds like it's worth upgrading to. A pity they could not have gone to the trouble of giving us a new anamorphic transfer. I believe this is why Twilight Time "passed" on this title.(Plus, the response from consumers was bad over the non-anamorphic master of VIOLENT SATURDAY given to them. Interestingly, Fox saw fit to give a dvd company in France a 16:9 Blu Ray transfer to release in April of this year. It comes with a documentary feature on Fleischer hosted by William Friedkin, which I'm assuming must be in English. Maybe TT should look into acquiring this master for a Blu Ray re-release as Olive are doing with their early Paramount SD releases)

#860 of 1112 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,471 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted June 23 2013 - 04:25 AM

Yes, I always reformat Them! and Tarantula when I watch them, and they play very nicely.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users