Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Lionsgate Press Release: The Flowers of War (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,537 posts

Posted June 19 2012 - 07:31 AM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

THE FLOWERS OF WAR

Experience a tragic story of love and war from internationally celebrated director Zhang Yimou staring Academy Award® winner Christian Bale in

THE FLOWERS OF WAR Coming to Blu-ray and DVD July 10th

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

Celebrate an inspiring story of wartime heroism as Lionsgate releases The Flowers of War on Blu-ray Disc, DVD, Digital Download and On Demand. Directed by acclaimed filmmaker Yimou Zhang (HeroHouse of Flying Daggers) and based on the novel by Japanese author Yan Geling, the film was nominated for a Golden Globe® for Best Foreign Film. The Flowers of War, starring Academy Award® winner Christian Bale* and introducing Ni Ni, is a powerful and epic tale of love and war, where a band of outcasts emerge as unlikely heroes from the shadows of a city’s occupation. The Flowers of War Blu-ray Disc and DVD, including a feature length “making of” documentary, is available on July 10th for the suggested retail price of $29.99 and $27.98, respectively.   In 1937, Nanking stands at the forefront of a war between China and Japan. As the invading Japanese Imperial Army overruns China's capital city, desperate civilians seek refuge behind the nominally protective walls of a western cathedral. Here, John Miller (Bale), an American trapped amidst the chaos of battle and the ensuing occupation takes shelter, joined by a group of innocent schoolgirls and thirteen courtesans, equally determined to escape the horrors taking place outside the church walls. Struggling to survive the violence and persecution wrought by the Japanese army, it is an act of heroism, which eventually leads the seemingly disparate group to fight back, risking their lives for the sake of everyone.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,537 posts

Posted June 19 2012 - 07:53 AM

I just wanted to quickly add some comments here.

I saw this film recently.  It's rather tremendous.  Some of the
most wildly shot war sequences I have ever seen.  It's also
very graphic, violent and quite difficult to watch at times given

the scenes that involve young children.

The only problem I had with this movie is that it starts as one

thing, and then ends up becoming rather melodramatic.  Still,

in its entirety, this is a film that I recommend that everyone
watch.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Martin Teller

Martin Teller

Screenwriter

• 2,414 posts

Posted June 20 2012 - 04:32 AM

I like a lot of Zhang's films and I have a lot of interest in the rape of Nanking, so looking forward to checking this one out. Considering the unspeakable atrocities that occurred there, it's no surprise that the film would be "very graphic, violent and quite difficult to watch".