-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Cape Fear 50th Anniversary?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 803 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted June 19 2012 - 06:11 AM

Anyone know if Universal has anything planned for Cape Fear this year?

#2 of 6 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,116 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted June 19 2012 - 06:41 AM

No news, but there should be!

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#3 of 6 John Morgan

John Morgan

Supporting Actor

• 664 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 19 2012 - 10:52 AM

I got the Blu Ray of this from Great Britian last year, and I think it looks and sounds super, and it's region free. I would assume Universal has the hi def master and could easily put it out. And this brings up another irritation. I have been reading reviews of some recent Universal-owned films that have been released in England on Blu, but they are not region free. Things like DOUBLE INDEMNITY, THE RUGGLES OF RED GAP, THE LOST WEEKEND, etc. Is there really that much bigger an audience in Great Britian for these American classics than here in the states?

#4 of 6 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,511 posts

Posted June 19 2012 - 11:15 AM

Cape Fear looked excellent on DVD so I'm sure a blu-ray would be high quality. I'll probably end up picking up the UK disc since it's been out for close to a year there and a North American release is nowhere in sight.

#5 of 6 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,116 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted June 19 2012 - 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by John Morgan 

And this brings up another irritation. I have been reading reviews of some recent Universal-owned films that have been released in England on Blu, but they are not region free. Things like DOUBLE INDEMNITY, THE RUGGLES OF RED GAP, THE LOST WEEKEND, etc. Is there really that much bigger an audience in Great Britian for these American classics than here in the states?

Different sales expectations.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#6 of 6 John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 723 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted June 19 2012 - 12:58 PM

Cape Fear looked excellent on DVD so I'm sure a blu-ray would be high quality. I'll probably end up picking up the UK disc since it's been out for close to a year there and a North American release is nowhere in sight.

I have the British BD release and it looks great and is pretty cheap on Amazon.uk ($11.74 US dollars). Their shipping is very reasonable and fast as well.