What's new

Rumor: Mountain Lion Release Date July 19th (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'll follow my current policy: wait until I know if it's compatible with my wife's version of Adobe CS whatever. If so, I'll upgrade both machines pretty soon. Otherwise, neither one.
Particularly with home sharing, price is negligible. It's the risk to stability and time to do it I have to consider.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
i got burned upgrading to Lion on release date. I violated my "wait until X.X.2 before upgrading" rule. I won't be making the same mistake. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Is there a compatibility listing? We're a version or two behind the latest Adobe CS. I'll have to make sure there aren't compatibility problems before upgrading.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dave,

I can vouch for CS6.

Hopefully someone can answer your question on
compatibility -- but for the most part, the Adobe
Creative Suites have not had problems with new
OSX upgrades -- at least not that I have seen over
the years.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Then you qualify for the $30 month cloud pricing. Just do it, even if it's just for the first year and then the second year pricing is no good.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'll tell my wife to look into it. I'm really trying to *not* add monthly costs right now...so I might not mention it until we close on the house ;)

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
One thing about the Creative Cloud that may, or may not, be useful is that you get access to both the Windows and OS X versions. Also, as before, you can install the software on two computers although you are only suppose to be using one of them at a time.

-Keith

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Hope so:
http://www.cultofmac.com/177285/could-apple-release-iwork-12-alongside-os-x-mountain-lion-on-july-25th/?utm_medium=twit&utm_campaign=spread-us
Essentially, the argument is that, right now, in every iWork app, clicking the share button on a document sends your document, spreadsheet or presentation to the iWork.com beta site. The only problem? Apple is shutting down the iWork.com beta site at the end of the month, so if Apple doesn’t update the app to at least give it iCloud compatibility, the iWork suite’s share functionality will be broken for millions of users.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't use iWork much, but I'd appreciate a seamless desktop-to-iOS system. It's terrible right now. Wholly un-Apple.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Golden Master available to download NOW

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/09/apple-mountain-lion-gold-master-is-up-for-the-download/

Last month at WWDC, Apple promised that consumers would be able to get their grubby paws on Mountain Lion come July. It looks like the latest version of OS X is one step closer to being fully-baked, with seeds of the Gold Master hitting the company's developer download site today. The operating system upgrade will run you $20 when it's ready for us non-developers. In the meantime, here's a hands-on with the beta version of the OS.

oesat

Grip
Real Name
Mark Webber
I use the Messenger App since a while now.
Maybe it works more in Muntain Lion?
I really like the possibility to write a iMessage, for free, to my friends directly to their mobile
from my mac.
It's quite a better experience to type a long Text with the keyboard than with a touchscreen.
I hope ML will run on my mashine :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Updated over night last night, seems stable so far. Only issue I had was that I had not updated Parallels in a while, Mountain Lion knew it was not compatible and sequestered it away so that I could not run it.
Which meant that I couldn't upgrade from the running app. Oops. No big deal, re-downloaded from the trial link and put in my key and back and running right away.
But for those of you yet to get the opportunity to download make sure you update your MAS downloads AND those that use their own system too, first, before you run your pre-upgrade backup.
You ARE backing up before you upgrade, right?

oesat

Grip
Real Name
Mark Webber
I use the Time-Mashine to back up my programs and Data.
Relly useful.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I meant that as a general comment, not directly to you Mark =)
To be clear: Anyone considering upgrading to ML is craaaaazy if they don't do a full backup (using Time Machine, Super Duper or CarbonCopyCloner) beforehand.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Call me craaaazy.
I have never had to do a backup prior to an OS upgrade.
The new OS perfectly preserves everything on the old.
Of course, if you think you won't like the new OS, then
absolutely, back it up.
Don't get me wrong -- I agree a backup is always the
perfect safeguard to something going wrong you can't
fix. I am disputing what Sam is suggesting you do.
However, for all the OS upgrades I have done since
Leopard, I have never had a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks