Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Can i replace my dvd home theater with a blue ray home theater player ?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   geordiejohn

geordiejohn

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted June 19 2012 - 02:59 AM

Hello i have got a Panasonic DVD HOME THEATER SOUND SYSTEM MODEL SC-HT855 but the remote can no longer work the machine so i have to use the front panel,does any one know if i can replace the DVD with a Blue Ray Home Theater player please ? I have also got a Panasonic plasma television model TH-37PX60B and a Panasonic dvd recorder model DMR-ES15EB/EBL I did phone Richer Sounds and they said i should replace the whole lot,but it is only the dvd machine and remote that is not working. Some one did suggest to me about getting a Harmony remote control, but even though the shop i bought my system from said there was nothing wrong with the remote i would still like to change to a blue ray player. Thank you.

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   gartronics

gartronics

Stunt Coordinator

• 101 posts

Posted June 19 2012 - 07:35 AM

Oh yeah, totally possible. They do make bluray home theater systems, any electronics store should have one. Of coarse I like separate components better. I would just buy a bluray player by its self and then get a surround sound receiver by its self. I don't care for integrated units cause if one part breaks you are stuck with a piece of gear that only half works. Just my preference though. Either way you go, your local electronics store should have what you need. Not sure if you have Wal-mart over there but they have good deals if you do. Hope this helps.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,234 posts

Posted June 19 2012 - 08:34 AM

The way I understand it is you would like to attach a BR player to either your HTiB (the SC-HT855) or your TV and have it replace the HTiB as the disk player. That's possible in general, but will depend on what inputs your HTiB has. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a manual for either the TV or the HTiB. If you could post a photo of both, that would help a lot. Otherwise, maybe just list the available input and outputs for both. In theory what you would do is connect the new BR to the SC-HT855 using an HDMI (both audio and video). Or connect the BR to the TV using SCART or component connection (R/G/B) for the video, and then to the SC-HT855 using a digital optical, digital coax (orange), or stereo connection (R/W) for the audio. A third choice is to connect everything to the TV, and then send an audio signal back to the SC-HT855, but that works least well, and if you can do it, you can do one of the other, more preferred options.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Martino

Martino

Supporting Actor

• 670 posts
  • LocationSanta Clara, CA

Posted June 19 2012 - 10:39 AM

Found the manual for that system: http://audio.manuals...l?idRes=6577197 As with most HTIB systems - it does not have any HDMI inputs that would fix your issue. It has a 2 channel RCA input for AUX in - and on page 9 they show a connection for a cable TV box or Video recorder. If you must use this unit - you will have to connect the new player directly to the TV, have the TV down convert the sound to 2 channel RCA, and use RCA cables to hook up the TV output to your HTIB system. You will then only have stereo output.....

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   geordiejohn

geordiejohn

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted June 20 2012 - 01:27 AM

i am a total novice here,so do you think i could buy a Blue Ray player and a Receiver and that would work with my Panasonic television and sub woofer or do you think i should just replace the whole lot ? thank you.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,234 posts

Posted June 20 2012 - 03:11 AM

do you think i could buy a Blue Ray player and a Receiver and that would work with my Panasonic television and sub woofer or do you think i should just replace the whole lot ?

It's possible, but would be hard to do, and not particularly cost effective unless you had access to a good assortment of used products. You didn't mention reusing the speakers, but they are <6 ohms and are therefore hard to drive. The subwoofer is a passive type, which is not compatible with most new receivers. (BTW, way to go Martino finding the manual!)

I recommend just starting over. You could get a Home Theater in a Box, which is basically what you have now, but a more parts-swapable/extendable version this time around. This is an often recommended choice: http://www.amazon.co...ords=onkyo htib, and would be very suitable for watching movies and TV. The closest I could come in the UK was this: http://www.amazon.co...40190611&sr=8-1

Or, depending on you budget and interest level you could piece together a separates system. If you frequently listen to music, I recommend separates using bookshelf speakers instead of the satelite speakers the S5400 uses.

If you gives us your usage (goals) and budget, we can probaly help you home in on a good system for you.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   geordiejohn

geordiejohn

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted June 20 2012 - 07:09 AM

Thank you every one i will look into getting the Onkyo HT-S5305B 3D Ready 5.1 AV Receiver and Speaker Package shortly and then get back to this forum to let you know how i got on.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   naitea

naitea

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted June 22 2012 - 12:50 AM

Yes this helps me tremendously! I agree. I prefer to purchase separate components just in case the one unit malfunctions, then I have my surround sound or blue ray still intact. Thanks for the suggestion!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users