Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Windows 8, Usability disaster

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#161 of 169 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,133 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted April 11 2014 - 06:37 PM

Does Windows 8 have the same update hell as Windows 7 and XP?

I'm reinstalling Win7 Home (in Parallels on my Mac) and I'm yet again gobsmacked by the (literally) hundreds of updates that require hours and hours of downloading and installing and multiple reboots. Granted, I probably reinstall windows more often than the normal person, since it goes on and off of my Macs as needed. But, wow, installation is like an endurance marathon.

#162 of 169 OFFLINE   Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Casual Enthusiast

• 2,850 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted April 12 2014 - 05:30 AM

If it wasn't necessary for my work, I would uninstall Win7 from my MBP and be done with Windows forever.

#163 of 169 OFFLINE   Dave Upton

Dave Upton

Owner

• 2,030 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted April 12 2014 - 03:23 PM

Does Windows 8 have the same update hell as Windows 7 and XP?

I'm reinstalling Win7 Home (in Parallels on my Mac) and I'm yet again gobsmacked by the (literally) hundreds of updates that require hours and hours of downloading and installing and multiple reboots. Granted, I probably reinstall windows more often than the normal person, since it goes on and off of my Macs as needed. But, wow, installation is like an endurance marathon.

That's why you have to download "new" installation media that incorporates the updates. That's what most of us Windows folks do.

#164 of 169 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,133 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted April 12 2014 - 05:16 PM

That's why you have to download "new" installation media that incorporates the updates. That's what most of us Windows folks do.

Can you give me a link? I'm familiar with the process for OS X, and finally made a USB key installer for Mavericks. But when I do Windows, I fall back to my original DVD, which requires a day and a half of updates.

#165 of 169 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 18,239 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted April 13 2014 - 03:44 PM

To answer your question, yes. If you get a new machine with 8 on it it can literally take you a whole day to patch 8, update to 8.1 then get the 8.1 update.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

UV Sales New Clarifications

#166 of 169 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,738 posts

Posted April 16 2014 - 04:58 PM

To answer your question, yes. If you get a new machine with 8 on it it can literally take you a whole day to patch 8, update to 8.1 then get the 8.1 update.

Wow. Yeah. I found that out the hard way when I updated my sister's new laptop. What's worse is after it was done, hardly anything looked that different from the previous version, except that they added a power icon and a settings? icon to the start page. Of course they couldn't bother to put those icons on the traditional desktop. They put them on the screen that would normally show on a tablet. Most changes look like they took place under the hood. I wasn't all that impressed.

Good thing I brought it home and did it. That thing was almost a gig with the update and security patches. They would have been into the next tier of the cellular data plan if they had done it themselves.

"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#167 of 169 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,882 posts

Posted April 24 2014 - 02:44 PM

Available now, mandatory install or you get no more patches.

http://www.winbeta.o...indows-81-users

Hmmm... They only mentioned patches for Win 8.1.  What if I'm still running Win 8(.0)?  :P

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (Apostle Paul)

#168 of 169 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 18,239 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted June 30 2014 - 10:07 AM

Early rumors from MJF who is probably the best source for windows news:http://www.zdnet.com...ers-7000031070/Interesting that they consider Win 8.x 'done' with the latest ui updates set to roll out.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

UV Sales New Clarifications

#169 of 169 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 15,036 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted June 30 2014 - 10:26 AM

I hated Win 8 when it came out.  I'm used to it know and have no issues.  All my old Start Menu programs I used are on the Taskbar :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users