Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Heard from Warner Archive via Facebook and they stated no news on Popeye Volume 4 episodes and Jetsons S3 coming out anytime soon.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 of 25 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted June 15 2012 - 11:23 AM

Heard from WAC via Facebook and they stated no new information or news will be forthcoming regarding Popeye Volume 4 or Jetsons S3 being available through retail or via the MOD format. Just thought i would pass this along for those that might be interested in these titles.

#2 of 25 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,293 posts

Posted June 15 2012 - 01:57 PM

Thanks, Richard. The stalling out of Popeye and the Looney Tunes Golden Collections are sore disappointments to me as I was actively buying all releases when they came out.   I understand that Popeye sales didn't meet expectations, but the failure of Looney Tunes   baffles me as Warners' own publicity machine constantly trumpeted the strong sales of LT product.

Although I'm not a Jetsons fan, I hope it does continue for those who are.

Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#3 of 25 OFFLINE   Kevin Martinez

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit

• 496 posts

Posted June 15 2012 - 02:05 PM

There's no excuse for the Jetsons, as Warner Archive is supposed to be an MOD outfit. Just grab the current Boomerang copies of those episodes and author the discs; not exactly rocket science. The latest word we've heard on Popeye is that George Feltenstein wants to do them as Blu-Rays. (on his latest interview, Jerry Beck mentioned that he was sent to inspect the nitrate to a 40's Popeye cartoon that was censored in the 1950's, which could be a hint of positive news on that front)

#4 of 25 OFFLINE   Kevin Martinez

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit

• 496 posts

Posted June 15 2012 - 03:02 PM

Incidentally, as great as WAC's work with live-action is, they're absolutely terrible with animation, as some of the kvetching in the Hanna-Barbera thread will attest. Asking about a given show, even if it's something they have clearance for release, will result in vagueness or futility. It's like they're trying their hardest NOT to release animation.

#5 of 25 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted June 15 2012 - 03:09 PM

Guys, I agree with you 100%. No excuse for WAC to not be releasing series they can be releasing on this format, but here's hoping they will next year release at least Jetsons S3, and Popeye will be given the proper treatment for Voulme 4, the Fleischer years. I'll keep you guys posted if I hear anything else.

#6 of 25 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,315 posts

Posted June 16 2012 - 06:33 AM

Don't they (WAC) have a tremendous amount of animation available already? Not trying to diminish the importance of their cartoons, but it's my understanding they have a great deal more animation out than live-action shows presently and the live-action release pace being rather slow. I'd love some more Popeye too myself by the way, though preferably on pressed DVDs like the first three volumes.

#7 of 25 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted June 17 2012 - 06:47 AM

Henry, I agree but I'll give WAC credit though...they did respond back regarding these titles whiole other studios have just stayed silent regarding when certain stuff is coming out, but just disappointing that Popeye has been stalled and who knows when we'll see a completion of the Jetsons on DVD...nowadays it's all about the MOD but they're also getting way too pricey in the process.

#8 of 25 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted June 17 2012 - 07:21 AM

Most theatrical classic animation in the WB library is essentially in purgatory at WHV. I'm pretty sure it is WHV that is sitting on these animation properties waiting for a chance to release them retail. Most of the Hannah-Barbera/Ruby Spears was already dropped by WHV and given the greenlight for the WAC to pick up where they left off. However, WHV still seems determined to release most of the theatrical animated stuff retail somewhere down the line, but is essentially keeping them in indefinite hiatus until the marketing department actually gives the go-ahead for a retail set. There is movement in the LT/MM and Tom & Jerry properties, but it seems the Popeyes, Tex Avery's, etc are still mired in indecision as to what to do with those properties in regards to a retail release. The Jetsons is in a similar situation as the unreleased Scooby Doo cartoons in that they still hold interest in possible retail releases, unlike an obscure property like Inch High Private Eye which likely had no trouble being passed on to the WAC. Only when WHV makes a definite decision that they will not handle the Popeye or The Jetsons for possible future retail release will WAC be allowed to release them through their department.

#9 of 25 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,474 posts

Posted June 18 2012 - 03:00 AM

Don't they (WAC) have a tremendous amount of animation available already? Not trying to diminish the importance of their cartoons, but it's my understanding they have a great deal more animation out than live-action shows presently and the live-action release pace being rather slow. I'd love some more Popeye too myself by the way, though preferably on pressed DVDs like the first three volumes.

You are right Henry they do have alot out and since they now remaster just about everything released since about one year ago, its not as simple as just grabing copies and releasing them. Late last year there was a real slow down in animation as a result of the remastering but since February they have already released 4 titles: Pacman, Shazan, Inch High Private Eye and Sealab 2020 plus The Amazing Chan is rumored to be released very soon so their animation titles have been coming very frequently the past few months. I'm very happy they don't just grab existing copies and release them anymore. The improved copies are worth the wait. WAC have stated before that The theatrical cartoons like Popeye plus all of Scooby Doo are still in the realm of WHV and not WAC.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#10 of 25 OFFLINE   Kevin Martinez

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit

• 496 posts

Posted June 18 2012 - 03:04 AM

With like maybe two exceptions, they are so grabbing existing copies. Jabberjaw's WAC release was sped up because it was taken from antiquated PAL masters, for God's sake.

#11 of 25 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,474 posts

Posted June 18 2012 - 03:24 AM

Yes we know about Jabberjaw and that was the past-released two years ago that is not the case anymore their releases are no different than WHV other than being MOD discs. Even WHV releases some titles that are not remastered. And even if they were to simply "dump" everything out take a look at the requests on facebook: to release everything as fast as possible to keep everyone happy would mean releasing about 100 titles everyday. Just not realistic or practical. There are close 100 HB/Ruby Spears titles left plus many more animation titles. Add to that 100's of TV show seasons to release and several thousand movie titles. They release far more titles per month than anyone else as it is.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#12 of 25 OFFLINE   Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Second Unit

• 286 posts

Posted June 18 2012 - 04:57 AM

Guys, I agree with you 100%. No excuse for WAC to not be releasing series they can be releasing on this format, but here's hoping they will next year release at least Jetsons S3, and Popeye will be given the proper treatment for Voulme 4, the Fleischer years. I'll keep you guys posted if I hear anything else.

Again, they may be just releasing the shows that have a ton of fans, and that have a very vocal fanbase (Centurions & Chuck Norris: Karate Kommandos seemingly being those two that I know of, as well as a couple of others.) My hope is that that they can get a Beetlejuice MOD DVD and a Mighty Orbots MOD DVD out, as well as the ones that others want to see, but as always, demand drives sales (and therefore, supply.)

#13 of 25 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted June 18 2012 - 09:31 AM

Let's just hope for the best and maybe next year, they will get to releasing these specific titles, as I do believe MOD is going to be the way to go, since many retailers are not putting out the classic stuff on the shelves anymore.

#14 of 25 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,293 posts

Posted June 18 2012 - 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by rmw650 

Let's just hope for the best and maybe next year, they will get to releasing these specific titles, as I do believe MOD is going to be the way to go, since many retailers are not putting out the classic stuff on the shelves anymore.

As an alternative to MOD, they could follow the lead of what CBS/P may be doing with some of their classic live action series and that is selling online only (Amazon and the usual suspects).  These are the same type of releases (pressed discs, English subtitles, etc.) that were sold in stores but now they are focusing on online distribution channels.  Win Win scenario in my book. It keeps the product coming and they are of the same quality we've gotten used to.

Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#15 of 25 OFFLINE   Towergrove

Towergrove

Supporting Actor

• 787 posts

Posted June 19 2012 - 01:06 AM

You are right Henry they do have alot out and since they now remaster just about everything released since about one year ago, its not as simple as just grabing copies and releasing them. Late last year there was a real slow down in animation as a result of the remastering but since February they have already released 4 titles: Pacman, Shazan, Inch High Private Eye and Sealab 2020 plus The Amazing Chan is rumored to be released very soon so their animation titles have been coming very frequently the past few months. I'm very happy they don't just grab existing copies and release them anymore. The improved copies are worth the wait. WAC have stated before that The theatrical cartoons like Popeye plus all of Scooby Doo are still in the realm of WHV and not WAC.

HB Amazing Chan is up for order now on the Warner Archive! Keep on with the releases!!!
Being a female is a matter of birth. Being a woman is a matter of age. But being a lady… Now that's a matter of choice.

#16 of 25 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,474 posts

Posted June 19 2012 - 02:05 AM

Thanks Sarah and another remastered title. That makes 5 HB in 5 months they are coming fast and furious now. Hope they keep it up.

Top 20 Films

#17 of 25 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,474 posts

Posted June 19 2012 - 02:11 AM

As an alternative to MOD, they could follow the lead of what CBS/P may be doing with some of their classic live action series and that is selling online only (Amazon and the usual suspects).  These are the same type of releases (pressed discs, English subtitles, etc.) that were sold in stores but now they are focusing on online distribution channels.  Win Win scenario in my book. It keeps the product coming and they are of the same quality we've gotten used to.

I have hundreds of WAC Mod titles and other than a few of the early titles they are all the same quality we are used to especially all the newly remastered titles of the past year. Also it has still not been determined if the CBS/P online only titles will be Mod or not. They may do what WAC has done recently and make about 1000 pressed discs of a more popular title and when they are gone they will be MOD only.

Top 20 Films

#18 of 25 OFFLINE   Towergrove

Towergrove

Supporting Actor

• 787 posts

Posted June 19 2012 - 04:32 AM

Thanks Sarah and another remastered title. That makes 5 HB in 5 months they are coming fast and furious now. Hope they keep it up.

I do hope so.
Being a female is a matter of birth. Being a woman is a matter of age. But being a lady… Now that's a matter of choice.

#19 of 25 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted June 19 2012 - 04:26 PM

They were supposed to be releasing Becker Season 4 on DVD but it's been on Amazon now for three months time without a release date still, and it's a MOD title to boot. Asked about it but got the scripted response.

#20 of 25 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,989 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted June 20 2012 - 01:40 AM

They may do what WAC has done recently and make about 1000 pressed discs of a more popular title and when they are gone they will be MOD only.

What WAC title(s) got a limited pressed release? FIrst I'd heard about it. Is this something that began with a limited pressed run, or did they take a popular MOD title(s), press a limited run, and then go back to MOD? I think I'd be a little bit ticked-off if they went back to do a pressed run of say, Man From Atlantis or Legends of the Super-Heroes after I've already paid for/bought the burnt ones, especially if there's no distinction between pressed/burned sets on the ordering site (leaving no guarantee as to what you'd get).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users