Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Looking for help upgrading my Home Theater system.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 dBennett

dBennett

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted June 14 2012 - 04:13 PM

Hey everyone, I'm looking to spruce up the tech in my living room. A quick overview of what I have now: 40'' Sony Bravia w/ a measly 2 HDMI inputs. (But she is 1080p :) Samsung HTiB ---> http://www.samsung.c...er/HT-C5500/XAA Verizon Fios Top-box Xbox360 So basically, my problem right now is that I cannot have all my components hooked up to each other simultaneously. I figure that getting a receiver can fix this problem for me? I know almost nothing about receivers for sure, so if someone could let me know if I'm making the right assumptions I'd really appreciate it. My assumption is this: That I can buy a receiver, hook my Xbox, Cable Box, and Blu-ray to the receiver. Then hook the receiver up to the TV (only one connection to the TV total). Now, instead of switching inputs on the TV, I would switch inputs on the receiver, right? Here is the last key bit of info: **I would disconnect my 6 speakers (5.1?) from the Blu-ray player they are currently hooked up to (as part of the HTiB) - and connect them to the receiver. Then, everything I watch (Cable, Xbox, etc) will come through the surround sound? The current wiring for the speakers has special connections to the Samsung blu-ray player, but I figure i can just strip the ends of those wires and connect them to the receiver in the typical way? (Red and black?). I would prefer to do that just for simplicities sake, but I'm not against buying new wiring if you guys recommend that. And ultimately I plan on upgrading my speakers in the near-ish future anyway... these Samsungs *buzz* at loud and/or bassy levels, if you know what I mean (very frustrating!). I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they are actually really crappy! All of this is basically a question . . . Am I thinking right? I'm willing to drop $300-$500 on a receiver, perhaps the Onkyo TX-SR313 OR the Denon AVR-1912...any thoughts on that? Thanks a lot, greatly appreciated!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users