What's new

Experience Dolby TrueHD w/advanced 96k upsampling on the San Francisco Symphony at 100 on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

ranjanis

Auditioning
Real Name
Ranjani
Last month, Dolby Laboratories announced enhancements to its loseless audio codec for Blu-ray authoring that can now deliver a full-range high-definition surround sound experience ensuring optimum performance from today's advanced A/V receivers and Blu-ray Disc players. Blu-ray discs premastered using Dolby® TrueHD with advanced 96k upsampling enables facilities to integrate the benefits of 96 kHz playback quality audio into the final master while simultaneously reducing the incidence of digital artifacts introduced during the content-creation process. The resulting content is fully playback compatible.
The San Francisco Symphony’s 2011 Centennial Opening Night Gala live recording was released on Blu-Ray earlier this month and is one of the first Blu-ray releases available featuring DolbyTrueHD with advanced 96k upsampling.
"We were particularly impressed with the excellent results of Dolby's new Dolby TrueHD with advanced 96k upsampling on one of our most recent projects, the San Francisco Symphony at 100 Blu-ray," said Luke Fazzary, Director of Operations, Giant Interactive. "We're very pleased to be able to share the benefits of this technology with our clients and plan to use it on future projects, whether concerts, live-action films, or episodic programming.
Learn more about the use of Dolby TrueHD with advanced 96k upsampling used in the San Francisco Symphony at 100 Blu-ray Disc release:
[VIDEO]http-~~-//vimeo.com/42325868[/VIDEO]

*****For a limited time, use coupon code "DOLBY" at the San Francisco Symphony's online store for 10% off*****
"Lossless audio is a key distinguishing feature of Blu-ray content. All things being equal, you cannot improve on the quality of lossless audio coding; however, you can improve on the quality of the source PCM content prior to lossless encoding, and this is precisely what we have achieved with our advanced 96k upsampling technology," said Craig Eggers, Director, Content Creation and Playback, Home Theater Ecosystem, Dolby Laboratories. "A significant amount of Hollywood content has been captured in native 48 kHz. Studios and authoring facilities that implement Dolby TrueHD with advanced 96k upsampling can elevate the quality of PCM audio prior to lossless Dolby TrueHD encoding, ensuring that consumers get the very best audio performance possible from their Blu-ray playback systems."
Besides enabling optimum 96k upsampling, this technology features a unique apodizing filter that "masks" the unwanted digital artifacts known as "preringing," which is introduced during the content-capture and content-creation process. These digital artifacts can introduce an unnatural edginess or harshness to the audio. Dolby TrueHD with advanced 96k upsampling restores the natural tonality of the soundtrack. The effect can be subtle or dramatic, depending on the quality of the source material. Content mastered with Dolby TrueHD with advanced upsampling is fully playback compatible with all Dolby TrueHD enabled Blu-ray™ players and A/V receivers. Listeners are assured the highest-quality playback experiences possible through their systems.
Further reading:
Dolby Official Website
Shop SF Symphony
Dolby on AVS

Claude S

Stunt Coordinator
i never saw the concert when it was shown on PBS and want to get the BD but the $70.00 price is too rich for my blood.
Can anyone tell me why this disc is so expensive?
Most of the operas, ballet and symphonic concert discs I had purchased so far has never exceeded more than $45.00. Most have been in the $35.00 range such as BD's from Opus Arte.
-Claude

nealg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Neal
Claude, it's $34.99 if you order directly from the San Francisco Symphony using the link above. Plus, enter "Summer" in the coupon code box for FREE shipping!

Claude S

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, nealg. I will be placing an order for the disc early next week with the information you had provided. Can't wait to receive the disc. I have a couple of CDs by the SFO and Michael Tilson Thomas but this will be my first video by that great orchestra.
Although the SFO is celebrating their one hundred anniversary, it is unfortunate the oldest orchestra in the western United States no loner exist. I believe our orchestra, the Honolulu Symphony was about a hundred and ten years old when it had to cease operating because of financial difficullties. It was recently replaced by another fine orchestra, the Hawaii Symphony Orchestra and it too is a fantastic group. By the way, the score in the film, PRINCESS KAIULANI was recorded by the now defunct Honolulu Symphony . I had season tickets to the HSO for many years and had an opportunity to enjoy concerts with guest performers such as Van Cliburn, Jacquiline Du Pre, Ravi Shankar and many others. I even had the opportunity to see and hear great modern composers such as Aaron Copland, Aram Katchuturian and Igor Stravinsky conduct our orchestra before they passed away.
-Claude

FanboyZ

Second Unit
Real Name
Zolly Shoah Ben-Becker
What about Leon: The Professional? I really don't think that film is natively 96/24...

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by FanboyZ /t/321549/experience-dolby-truehd-w-advanced-96k-upsampling-on-the-san-francisco-symphony-at-100-on-blu-ray#post_3938870
What about Leon: The Professional? I really don't think that film is natively 96/24...

Can you explain what you mean, i'm reading the article above and see no mention of Leon. ?

Regarding 96/24, my understanding is they upsample so it doesn't have to be native.

Something weird happened when I went to order this at SFS. The default shipping there is UPS Ground for $10.03, but I clicked through and found that you can select USPS First Class Mail at $2.63, so I specifically selected that. However, when I clicked submit, the order processed with UPS Ground shipping. Did this happen to anyone else? Could it be because I used the DOLBY code?
EDIT: Just received a response from SFS. They refunded the difference and updated the order. :) Can't wait to get this--a steal at $34.12 shipped when the Amazon price is a whopping $69.98!

FanboyZ

Second Unit
Real Name
Zolly Shoah Ben-Becker
Leon the Professional's DTS HD Master Audio track is encoded at 96/24, certainly up-sampled.
The fact of the matter is that up-sampling something isn't a new thing- but it is a NEW way for TrueHD tracks to have larger files sizes, which seem "better".

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by FanboyZ /t/321549/experience-dolby-truehd-w-advanced-96k-upsampling-on-the-san-francisco-symphony-at-100-on-blu-ray#post_3940120
Leon the Professional's DTS HD Master Audio track is encoded at 96/24, certainly up-sampled.

This is news to me, so is the current worldwide Blu release 96/24 or is it just the Sony versions. ?

moovtune

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
Originally Posted by FanboyZ /t/321549/experience-dolby-truehd-w-advanced-96k-upsampling-on-the-san-francisco-symphony-at-100-on-blu-ray#post_3940120
The fact of the matter is that up-sampling something isn't a new thing- but it is a NEW way for TrueHD tracks to have larger files sizes, which seem "better".
Leon the Professional is not upsampled. The original digital multitrack tapes of the stems were transferred into Protools at 96K, remastered at Blu-Wave Audio on the Universal lot at 96K and a new 96K printmaster was created... this was last year (or maybe it was in 2010, I can't remember), before this new upsampling process was released.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
moovtune said:
Leon the Professional is not upsampled. The original digital multitrack tapes of the stems were transferred into Protools at 96K, remastered at Blu-Wave Audio on the Universal lot at 96K and a new 96K printmaster was created... this was last year (or maybe it was in 2010, I can't remember), before this new upsampling process was released.
All I know is that my system reads 96k and it sounds terrific!

FanboyZ

Second Unit
Real Name
Zolly Shoah Ben-Becker
moovtune said:
Leon the Professional is not upsampled. The original digital multitrack tapes of the stems were transferred into Protools at 96K, remastered at Blu-Wave Audio on the Universal lot at 96K and a new 96K printmaster was created... this was last year (or maybe it was in 2010, I can't remember), before this new upsampling process was released.
Yes but the original Digital Multitrack Tapes were assuredly 48/16, unless they were analogue.

Emmaking

Auditioning
Real Name
Emmaking
ranjanis said:
Last month, Dolby Laboratories announced enhancements to its loseless audio codec for Blu-ray authoring that can now deliver a full-range high-definition surround sound experience ensuring optimum performance from today's advanced A/V receivers and Blu-ray Disc players. Blu-ray discs premastered using Dolby® TrueHD with advanced 96k upsampling enables facilities to integrate the benefits of 96 kHz playback quality audio into the final master while simultaneously reducing the incidence of digital artifacts introduced during the content-creation process. The resulting content is fully playback compatible.
The San Francisco Symphony’s 2011 Centennial Opening Night Gala live recording was released on Blu-Ray earlier this month and is one of the first Blu-ray releases available featuring DolbyTrueHD with advanced 96k upsampling.
"We were particularly impressed with the excellent results of Dolby's new Dolby TrueHD with advanced 96k upsampling on one of our most recent projects, the San Francisco Symphony at 100 Blu-ray," said Luke Fazzary, Director of Operations, Giant Interactive. "We're very pleased to be able to share the benefits of this technology with our clients and plan to use it on future projects, whether concerts, live-action films, or episodic programming.
Learn more about the use of Dolby TrueHD with advanced 96k upsampling used in the San Francisco Symphony at 100 Blu-ray Disc release:
[VIDEO]http-~~-//vimeo.com/42325868[/VIDEO]

*****For a limited time, use coupon code "DOLBY" at the San Francisco Symphony's online store for 10% off*****
"Lossless audio is a key distinguishing feature of Blu-ray content. All things being equal, you cannot improve on the quality of lossless audio coding; however, you can improve on the quality of the source PCM content prior to lossless encoding, and this is precisely what we have achieved with our advanced 96k upsampling technology," said Craig Eggers, Director, Content Creation and Playback, Home Theater Ecosystem, Dolby Laboratories. "A significant amount of Hollywood content has been captured in native 48 kHz. Studios and authoring facilities that implement Dolby TrueHD with advanced 96k upsampling can elevate the quality of PCM audio prior to lossless Dolby TrueHD encoding, ensuring that consumers get the very best audio performance possible from their Blu-ray playback systems."
Besides enabling optimum 96k upsampling, this technology features a unique apodizing filter that "masks" the unwanted digital artifacts known as "preringing," which is introduced during the content-capture and content-creation process. These digital artifacts can introduce an unnatural edginess or harshness to the audio. Dolby TrueHD with advanced 96k upsampling restores the natural tonality of the soundtrack. The effect can be subtle or dramatic, depending on the quality of the source material. Content mastered with Dolby TrueHD with advanced upsampling is fully playback compatible with all Dolby TrueHD enabled Blu-ray™ players and A/V receivers. Listeners are assured the highest-quality playback experiences possible through their systems.
Further reading:
Dolby Official Website
Shop SF Symphony
Dolby on AVS
Je suis tout à fait d'accord avec votre point de vue
------------------------------------------------------------
diagnostic outil pour voiture|Launch X431 Diagun|Scanner OBD

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks