Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Output surround through all devices. please help.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   TheLK

TheLK

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted June 14 2012 - 12:15 PM

Hello, I have a Sharp HD TV, Playstation 3, and a Sony surround sound system but currently I can only use the surround sound when im using the set top box or using the dvd player from the surround sound. How can I set it up so the sound will work at all time?:)

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   gartronics

gartronics

Stunt Coordinator

• 101 posts

Posted June 14 2012 - 03:42 PM

Ok, so I assuming your dvd player is part of your surround system. Hook up your ps3, and cable box to the tv. Then hook up the tv's audio out to the aux input on your surround system. Match output type to input type, Depending on your hardware the surround system may only take a certain type of input. Most likely RCA jack but you may get lucky and it might accept optical or coaxial. Just check your tv for what type of audio output jack it has and match to receiver input type. Once you do that, anything that is on the tv will play through the surround system. Hope this helps you.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   TheLK

TheLK

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted June 15 2012 - 11:51 AM

So I hooked it up the way you said (properly) but the sound still wont come out other then from the dvd player.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,216 posts

Posted June 15 2012 - 01:17 PM

You generally don't want to connect anything directly to the TV. Sometime you have to, if the receiver doesn't have the right connections, or sometime if you have an antenna. I don't have enough information, and it's too hit and miss to guess. If you list the model numbers of everything, we can usually look up manuals on-line. For now, if nothing else, connect the PS3 to the receiver if the right connection is available. If you hook something to the TV and then use a digital optical or a stereo connection to the receiver, you almost always only get stereo or simulated surround (not true 5 channel sound).

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   gartronics

gartronics

Stunt Coordinator

• 101 posts

Posted June 15 2012 - 09:06 PM

I only suggested hooking everything to the tv because I was assuming it was a HTIB setup and those usually have one aux input. Sorry if I caused any issues. If the dvd player is part of the surround receiver/HTIB system than the sound should come through because it is an internal connection. If not than something is wrong with the unit. More info about the specific devices you are hooking up might help paint a clearer picture and better assist you.

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   TheLK

TheLK

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted June 16 2012 - 09:29 AM

Okay the TV is a Sharp Aquos 46" TV It has RCA Audio out and 6 HDMI ports. The DVD Player/Sound System is a Sony model it has RCA and HDMI aswell, it has a coaxial input for an antenna I presume. And my playstation is HDMI to the TV. Right now I have my set-top box plugged into the TV with HDMI, the PS3 is also into the TV with HDMI, The sound System I had plugged into the set top box which works for tv shows but I want it to work with the play station also. Thanks for everyone's help so far, greatly appreciated hope someone thinks up something that will solve my problem! :)

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   gartronics

gartronics

Stunt Coordinator

• 101 posts

Posted June 16 2012 - 04:11 PM

Ok, So the dvd player is part of the system. So the sound system probably only has one input for audio (RCA). The coaxial input is a audio input but is for dolby digital. It looks like an RCA jack but is colored orange. If your tv don't have that output than don't worry about it cause you can't use it. So given that info I still would say to hook the ps3 and cable box to the tv and the audio out from the tv to the to the sound system via RCA jacks. The HDMI on the sound/dvd system is most likely an output, run that to the tv too if it's not already. When you play a dvd you will need to put the sound/dvd system into "dvd" mode and select the appropriate HDMI input on the tv. For your ps3 or cable box the sound/dvd system will need to be set to "aux" input and the tv set to the desired input for the device you are using. Do go into the tv's setup menu and make sure the audio output is turned on, most tv's come with this feature turned off. If this don't work, I would suggest getting a separate surround sound receiver that has 3 or more HDMI inputs and a separate dvd player. But I see no reason why it wouldn't work this way. I have attached a picture that may be of more help outlining everything I just said. Hope you get it figured out weather you use my way or another, Good luck. http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,216 posts

Posted June 18 2012 - 12:38 AM

Hopefully what Garry has works. If not, we need model numbers.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Adie

Adie

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted June 24 2012 - 03:35 AM

can u pls tell me how to get my surround sound to come through my tv,ive got a ps3 and a tivo box my tv is a samsung ue46es5500kxxu and my surround is a samsung 5.1 home entertainment ht-4500 i have hdmi leads and optical cable pls help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users