Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Can I extend home LAN with multiple switches in multiple rooms?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,046 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted June 12 2012 - 01:24 PM

New is going to be pre-wired ethernet to every room with the master junction in the basement utility space. Can I put multiple switches onto this network to add ethernet ports in multiple rooms?

I want to make sure I don't need to pre-wire multiple ethernet ports to key rooms. That I can extend my network with switches (or routers or hubs) ad hoc. 

Put a four-port switch off the ethernet port in the Living Room for the four devices there; put a switch in the media room for a few more devices there; maybe a third switch in the bedroom for a couple more there?

Thanks!

#2 of 4 ChristopherG

ChristopherG

Screenwriter

• 1,447 posts

Posted June 13 2012 - 10:07 AM

That should work just fine as long as you dont restrict the number of IP addresses your router assigns to a smaller number than you need (he said having done that exact thing)

It takes 52 pounds of pressure to rupture an eyeball... :blink: 

#3 of 4 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,046 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted June 13 2012 - 12:39 PM

Thanks. I can go forward with my pre-wire plans!

#4 of 4 Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,118 posts

Posted June 14 2012 - 05:00 AM

Not only can you do that, but it's proabably a good idea if you have sources of data other than the internet. With local switches you can limit the impact of traffic local to a room or portion of the house. For instance, I have a media server, which I have on a switch that connects the most frequent users of the server. This sub-net is separate from the network my son uses to access the internet to play games. This mean that traffic from media streaming is not competing for space on the home net with the traffic from the game. (Or with the traffic from someone who is streaming from Netflix. Although Netflix and Xbox collide, which makes for interesting negotiations betwen my son and my daughter.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users