Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Scent of a Woman -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 ONLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,610 posts

Posted June 09 2012 - 12:19 PM

Martin Brest's 1992 Scent of a Woman, is yet another Blu-ray release that deserved better attention.

Same old story.

Old transfer, now with uncompressed audio, which will make little different to almost everyone.

Mr. Pacino, who won Best Actor in a Leading Role for his performance, could have been far better served by the studio, had they simply done a new image harvest, and created "archival" data at the same time.

A wonderfully entertaining film, that fails as a Blu-ray.

Steer clear.

Image - 2

Audio - 4

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

HTF Premium Member

• 3,303 posts

Posted June 10 2012 - 01:47 AM

Great. Once again, thanks for nothing Universal. No sale.

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   willyTass

willyTass

Second Unit

• 353 posts

Posted June 10 2012 - 02:50 AM

gee Universal's really on a roll aren't they?

#4 of 6 ONLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,750 posts

Posted June 10 2012 - 09:33 AM

Good gravy, is this the new standard in Blu-Ray catalog titles? Average, to bad releases that I planned on purchasing but am skipping thanks to Robert's input. My dedicated home theater project with a 120" screen and a really decent projector is sadly starting to become of much less importance as of late. In fact, I'm starting to consider scrapping the whole idea. Why? Because the heart and soul of my movie collection has been, and alway will be catalog titles. And a Blu-Ray title that could look 6 times better than dvd, but instead looking just slightly better....absolutely pathetic.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 10 2012 - 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by willyTass 

gee Universal's really on a roll aren't they?

Imagine how bad the releases will be once the 100th anniversary is over with because if this is Universal at their best.......well you know.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   willyTass

willyTass

Second Unit

• 353 posts

Posted June 11 2012 - 02:52 AM

i must apologize for my earlier excitement of the remastered Out of Africa- the more i see it the more it seems not quite right - most scenes look great but others look like paint by number with stupid, unnecessary Noise reduction Universal is easily the worst studio for catalogue quality control at the moment

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users