• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 OFFLINE   Shatner's Grim Reaper

Shatner's Grim Reaper

Supporting Actor

• 565 posts

Posted June 09 2012 - 08:13 AM

1. Time Enough At Last 2. The Monsters on Maple Street 3. The Howling Man 4. Deaths-Head Revisited 5. Nightmare At 20,000 Feet 6. Judgment Night 7. The Masks 8. The Invaders 9. The Purple Testament 10. It's A Good Life

#2 of 21 ONLINE   Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,619 posts

Posted June 09 2012 - 09:00 AM

MIRROR IMAGE PERCHANCE TO DREAM IT'S A GOOD LIFE WILL THE REAL MARTIAN PLEASE STAND UP? TWO SHADOW PLAY LIVING DOLL NIGHTMARE AT 20,000 FEET THE HOWLING MAN THE INVADERS

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)

#3 of 21 OFFLINE   Carabimero

Carabimero

Screenwriter

• 1,231 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 09 2012 - 09:14 AM

And The Sky Opened Time Enough At Last Third From The Sun Nightmare at 20,000 Feet The Howling Man A Stop at Willoughby Long Live Walter Jamison A Game of Pool Nothing in the Dark I Sing The Body Electric A World of His Own

#4 of 21 ONLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,231 posts

Posted June 09 2012 - 11:38 AM

Time Enough At Last A Game of Pool Two Nightmare at 20,000 Feet The Monsters are Due on Maple Street One for the Angels The Obsolete Man Nothing in the Dark The Eye of the Beholder The Dummy

#5 of 21 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted June 09 2012 - 12:54 PM

Couldn't get it down to 10 but 12 is close..... - Third From The Sun - The Howling Man - Walking Distance - People Are Alike All Over - The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street - The After Hours - A Hundred Yards Over the Rim - The Rip Van Winkle Caper - To Serve Man - The Little People - On Thursday We Leave For Home - A Nice Place to Visit "There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition. And it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call...The Twilight Zone." Favorite opening theme S1

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#6 of 21 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,099 posts

Posted June 09 2012 - 05:52 PM

What does the thread title mean?

#7 of 21 OFFLINE   DVD S.

DVD S.

Stunt Coordinator

• 79 posts

Posted June 09 2012 - 06:09 PM

.The Fever .Perchance To Dream .The Eye Of The Beholder .The After-Hours .The Lonely .Third From The Sun .Nightmare At 20,000 Feet .Walking Distance .To Serve Man .The Rip Van Winkle Caper It is hard, I think that here are too many to choose from, though, these are not my dad's favorites, they are mine 'cause he would not like this show, he would not like it at all. :star:

#8 of 21 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,052 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 10 2012 - 12:16 AM

This is one of those questions where if I got asked again in an hour, I'd probably give you a different list but as of right now: The Hitch-Hiker is my favorite episode and after that (in air date order): Walking Distance Time Enough At Last Perchance To Dream The After Hours The Eye Of The Beholder The Invaders Will The Real Martian Please Stand Up The Midnight Sun Nightmare At 20,000 Feet And another 15 episodes that I love (in air date order): Third From The Sun Mirror Image The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street Nick Of Time The Grave It's A Good Life Deaths-Head Revisited The Jungle To Serve Man The Changing Of The Guard Death Ship On Thursday We Leave For Home You Drive Night Call The Masks

What does the thread title mean?

I was wondering the same thing but I assume that "Father's" was a mistype.

#9 of 21 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,126 posts

Posted June 10 2012 - 12:05 PM

I've already done a list for another forum so...

25. Long Distance Call

24. Living Doll

23. The Incredible World of Horace Ford

22. The Last Flight

21. Mirror Image

20. Nick of Time

19. Time Enough at Last

18. The Encounter

17. Shadow Play

16. A World of Difference

15. Perchance to Dream

14. The Obsolete Man

13. It's a Good Life

12. The Masks

11. In His Image

10. A Hundred Yards Over The Rim

09. The Invaders

08. The Midnight Sun

07. Five Characters in Search of an Exit

06. Death Ship

05. An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge

04. Eye of the Beholder

03. Third from the Sun

02. The Monsters are Due on Maple Street

01. Walking Distance

...awaits Craig to diss my poor taste.

#10 of 21 OFFLINE   Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green

Supporting Actor

• 595 posts

Posted June 10 2012 - 12:24 PM

Although they may not be the best TZ episodes, here are my personal favorites:

The Hitch-Hiker

Night Call

The After Hours

Eye of the Beholder

Twenty-Two

Nightmare as a Child

Mirror Image

Ring a Ding Girl

Two

Nothing in the Dark

"Congratulations. You're still in the running towards becoming America's Next Top Model."

#11 of 21 OFFLINE   EdG

EdG

Stunt Coordinator

• 144 posts

Posted June 10 2012 - 02:33 PM

I Shot an Arrow into the Air The Monsters are Due on Maple Street People are Alike All Over The Odyssey of Flight 33 A Hundred Yards Over the Rim The Midnight Sun The Little People Five Characters in Search of an Exit Nightmare at 20,000 Feet Stopover in a Quiet Town

#12 of 21 OFFLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,686 posts

Posted June 11 2012 - 04:52 PM

I've already done a list for another forum so... 25. Long Distance Call 24. Living Doll 23. The Incredible World of Horace Ford 22. The Last Flight 21. Mirror Image 20. Nick of Time 19. Time Enough at Last 18. The Encounter 17. Shadow Play 16. A World of Difference 15. Perchance to Dream 14. The Obsolete Man 13. It's a Good Life 12. The Masks 11. In His Image 10. A Hundred Yards Over The Rim 09. The Invaders 08. The Midnight Sun 07. Five Characters in Search of an Exit 06. Death Ship 05. An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge 04. Eye of the Beholder 03. Third from the Sun 02. The Monsters are Due on Maple Street 01. Walking Distance ...awaits Craig to diss my poor taste.

Aw hell no, man. That's a really good list. Here's my top 20. Not gonna specify specific rankings, but my top 10 are in all caps: Season 1: Walking Distance The Lonely PERCHANCE TO DREAM AND WHEN THE SKY WAS OPENED THIRD FROM THE SUN THE HITCH-HIKER Mirror Image Long Live Walter Jameson The After Hours Season 2: The Eye of the Beholder SHADOW PLAY THE OBSOLETE MAN Season 3: A GAME OF POOL It’s a Good Life Death’s-Head Revisited THE MIDNIGHT SUN TO SERVE MAN Season 4: In His Image DEATH SHIP Season 5: In Praise of Pip

#13 of 21 OFFLINE   Shatner's Grim Reaper

Shatner's Grim Reaper

Supporting Actor

• 565 posts

Posted February 02 2013 - 02:19 AM

See what you guys and gals mean...I had to modify my bottom 3. :) 1. Time Enough At Last 2. The Howling Man 3. Nightmare At 20,000 Feet 4. Judgment Night 5. The Monsters on Maple Street 6. Deaths-Head Revisited 7. The Masks 8. To Serve Man 9. The Hitch Hiker 10. A Game of Pool

#14 of 21 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,777 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted February 02 2013 - 04:19 PM

The After Hours Living Doll Jess-Belle Miniature Nightmare at 20,000 Feet Queen of the Nile A World of Difference The Invaders Eye of the Beholder Cavender is Coming

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#15 of 21 OFFLINE   jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 1,965 posts

Posted February 03 2013 - 12:46 PM

i cant believe it. everyone is placing 20,000 feet in their top 10. (i am assuming that is the one with william shatner and the creature on the plane ?) to me, that was one of the worst ones. it didnt really have any real meaning behind it, like most of them did. it would be hard for me to pick out 10. i havent seen the show since its original airing. but just about every week, there was a good moralistic twist to it. the one about all the ugly doctors working on the beautiful woman to make her ugly is one that comes to mind that had a really good lesson in it.

#16 of 21 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,052 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 03 2013 - 12:55 PM

i cant believe it. everyone is placing 20,000 feet in their top 10. (i am assuming that is the one with william shatner and the creature on the plane ?) to me, that was one of the worst ones. it didnt really have any real meaning behind it, like most of them did.

I like it because it's just a good scary tale. I enjoy that The Twilight Zone frequently had a message but not every episode has to do that.

#17 of 21 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,777 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted February 03 2013 - 03:32 PM

Agreed. It's just a very entertaining story.

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#18 of 21 ONLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,231 posts

Posted February 03 2013 - 04:06 PM

I think the message is about finding one's confidence and overcoming fears to regain self-respect. Remember that Wilson has just been released from an institution after recovering from a nervous breakdown. Everything that occurs feeds his shame and self-doubt, but ultimately he finds his inner belief and acts on it. That's why he is so serene at the end. It doesn't matter if they don't believe him. Finally, he believes in himself.

#19 of 21 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,506 posts

Posted February 04 2013 - 03:26 AM

i cant believe it. everyone is placing 20,000 feet in their top 10. (i am assuming that is the one with william shatner and the creature on the plane ?) to me, that was one of the worst ones. it didnt really have any real meaning behind it, like most of them did. it would be hard for me to pick out 10. i havent seen the show since its original airing. but just about every week, there was a good moralistic twist to it. the one about all the ugly doctors working on the beautiful woman to make her ugly is one that comes to mind that had a really good lesson in it.

It's funny how we all see these episodes differently. I see some of the episodes on these lists and have the same reaction: "you picked that as one of the best!?". Certain stories appeal to certain people more than others. For example, the one you referenced about the beautiful young woman/plastic surgery is not a favorite of mine. There's nothing wrong with it; I just see it as a "one-shot" episode. Once you know the ending, it has little replay value, IMHO. There are other "surprise ending" episodes that do appeal to me for different reasons. For example, The Hitchhiker could be dismissed as a typical surprise ending episode; but the beautiful Inger Stevens gives an Emmy caliber performance, and the episode is beautifully directed and photographed, so that one is a favorite of mine. I'd post my own list, but I have not finished going through the Blu-ray set. I'm just beginning season 4; and I don't want to make a list based on vague memories of reruns and marathon showings. BTW, I have no idea what my father's list would look like. I don't think he's a fan of the show.

#20 of 21 OFFLINE   Berkshires

Berkshires

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted February 04 2013 - 04:32 AM

Here's another one for you, Jimmy. Even though my list is quite different from most of the others in the thread, Nightmare At 20,000 Feet is in there. In order of original airdate:

Walking Distance
Perchance To Dream
Nick Of Time
A Hundred Yards Over The Rim
Dead Man's Shoes
Little Girl Lost
Nightmare At 20,000 Feet
You Drive
Number 12 Looks Just Like You
The Masks

"Miss Garbo should be kept away from the bed entirely." - Joseph L. Breen

0 user(s) are reading this topic