Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ The Color of Money -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 of 57 OFFLINE   WinstonCely

WinstonCely

Stunt Coordinator

• 237 posts

Posted June 13 2012 - 06:15 AM

It's interesting that the quality of the transfer could effect this films content so much. I've seen it a number of times on VHS and DVD, and it's always proved to be my least favorite of all of Scorsese's films. Like to the point of really, really, not liking it. Just found the story boring, the acting boring, and even the direction pretty bland for a Scorsese film. It'd be interesting to see a copy of this film the way it should be shown and see if my opinion changes at all.

#42 of 57 OFFLINE   Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted June 13 2012 - 08:56 AM

Color of Money has never had a decent-looking release on home video, and I'm guessing now that it never will.

#43 of 57 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 13 2012 - 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toddwrtr /t/321398/a-few-words-about-the-color-of-money-in-blu-ray/30#post_3938126

Color of Money has never had a decent-looking release on home video, and I'm guessing now that it never will.

I think Scorcese will get involved and i think there will be a second release of this, probably next year, we already know Thelma Schoonmaker worked on a new state of the art transfer, it would make no sense to withhold that from the public thus a new release will come just as it did with Gangs Of New York.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#44 of 57 OFFLINE   Brian Husar

Brian Husar

Stunt Coordinator

• 101 posts

Posted June 13 2012 - 11:41 AM

Another thing no one has brought up, a 25th anniversary release and no special features? No retrospective? No interviews with Scorsese about what it was like? No wonder the price was lowered after the pre order on Amazon.

#45 of 57 OFFLINE   Hank E

Hank E

Stunt Coordinator

• 159 posts

Posted June 13 2012 - 09:57 PM

I'm not sure what to think about the DVD. I don't remember where or when I bought it, but is it possible they fixed the problem and reissued it? Because the copy I have is anamorphic 16x9.

#46 of 57 OFFLINE   Brian Husar

Brian Husar

Stunt Coordinator

• 101 posts

Posted June 14 2012 - 07:55 AM

I'm not sure what to think about the DVD. I don't remember where or when I bought it, but is it possible they fixed the problem and reissued it? Because the copy I have is anamorphic 16x9.

That is possible, I felt the need to not re buy ot because I thought it would be the same problem.

#47 of 57 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,342 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted June 15 2012 - 09:25 PM

So, I'm finally getting around to watching it on my larger projection system, and I definitely see the problem. It's far too "electronic" looking, or as Robert says "out of focus" and meandering, like a sheath of slightly-green tinted video-ness, almost as if being projected onto an 80s Apple monitor. The blacks are completely crushed - I can't see the break between Cruise or Mastrantonio's hair and the black shadows in the early dinner scene. Heck, Newman's suit and the black shadows of the bar can't be distinguished from each other.   All in, it's as disappointing as advertised for a HD image. I feel pretty confident that, on memory alone, it is a step up from the lousy DVD, but it's more by default than anything else. I never picked up the DVD for myself in the past, and I enjoy the movie too much to outright return, so here's hoping Thelma Schoonmaker and/or Martin Scorsese can get involved and get Disney to re-issue this with the Schoonmaker supervised master, hopefully via free replacement program.   I tell you what though - Paul Newman is simply the best. Five minutes in, notably poor image quality, and he has me hooked anyway. Off to finish it, warts and all...

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#48 of 57 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,342 posts

Posted June 15 2012 - 11:19 PM

OK, just finished the whole film.   I looked out for blue pool tables - the ones that were there because of the lighting used according to the Schoonmaker interview from a few years back - and there weren't any. I'm thinking one of two things happened:   a) Disney took an old master and tried to replicate what Schoonmaker's describes as turning the blue tables to green but with far messier, less sophisticated methods, or   b) they took the new master prepped by Schoonmaker and did unsupervised tweaking because... well, who the hell knows why.     In any case, I can't believe Scorsese and Schoonmaker would be OK with this release. I know that what happened with Gangs of New York was that Miramax took the old DVD master approved by Schoonmaker/Scorsese in 2000 and simply ported it over, which was therefore badly over sharpened and insufficient for HD, since it was prepared for a SD DVD release only. This, though, seems like something else entirely.   Just too bad, because Newman is such a joy to watch otherwise.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#49 of 57 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,667 posts

Posted June 16 2012 - 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon Conway /t/321398/a-few-words-about-the-color-of-money-in-blu-ray/30#post_3939108

OK, just finished the whole film.

I looked out for blue pool tables - the ones that were there because of the lighting used according to the Schoonmaker interview from a few years back - and there weren't any. I'm thinking one of two things happened:

a) Disney took an old master and tried to replicate what Schoonmaker's describes as turning the blue tables to green but with far messier, less sophisticated methods, or

b) they took the new master prepped by Schoonmaker and did unsupervised tweaking because... well, who the hell knows why.

In any case, I can't believe Scorsese and Schoonmaker would be OK with this release. I know that what happened with Gangs of New York was that Miramax took the old DVD master approved by Schoonmaker/Scorsese in 2000 and simply ported it over, which was therefore badly over sharpened and insufficient for HD, since it was prepared for a SD DVD release only. This, though, seems like something else entirely.

Just too bad, because Newman is such a joy to watch otherwise.

Only problem is that the DVD of GoNY was horrific.  I cannot believe it would have been approved.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#50 of 57 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,342 posts

Posted June 16 2012 - 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Harris /t/321398/a-few-words-about-the-color-of-money-in-blu-ray/30#post_3939130

Only problem is that the DVD of GoNY was horrific.  I cannot believe it would have been approved.

RAH

Well, just relating what I heard through certain channels.

#51 of 57 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,815 posts

Posted June 16 2012 - 07:10 AM

So, I'm finally getting around to watching it on my larger projection system, and I definitely see the problem. It's far too "electronic" looking, or as Robert says "out of focus" and meandering, like a sheath of slightly-green tinted video-ness, almost as if being projected onto an 80s Apple monitor. The blacks are completely crushed - I can't see the break between Cruise or Mastrantonio's hair and the black shadows in the early dinner scene. Heck, Newman's suit and the black shadows of the bar can't be distinguished from each other.

I had the same reaction(again, size doesn't matter on such a lousy transfer...I noticed all of the overtuned digitized mistakes on my 40" monitor) and many scenes looks so unnatural, I might as well be watching a cartoon. I'm just hoping for a recall, or a do over.

I tell you what though - Paul Newman is simply the best. Five minutes in, notably poor image quality, and he has me hooked anyway. Off to finish it, warts and all...

Ha, ha. Me too. I cringed at the transfer, but watched the whole thing. If there is one saving grace from not sending it back to Amazon for a refund, it's that I got to watch a great film again.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#52 of 57 ONLINE   Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,135 posts

Posted June 18 2012 - 02:42 AM

I just skimmed through my copy and, wow, what a crappy, dingy, contrast-free transfer. I was hoping that all the grousing was hyperbole. I was wrong. Holding onto it for the time being, but man, this is the pits.

#53 of 57 OFFLINE   Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted June 18 2012 - 09:33 AM

Has anyone tried called Disney's Customer Service hotline regarding this title?

#54 of 57 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 18 2012 - 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toddwrtr /t/321398/a-few-words-about-the-color-of-money-in-blu-ray/30#post_3939673

Has anyone tried called Disney's Customer Service hotline regarding this title?

All they got was Mickey Mouse squeaking something about quality control being on holiday with Pluto.

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#55 of 57 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,342 posts

Posted June 18 2012 - 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoxyMulder /t/321398/a-few-words-about-the-color-of-money-in-blu-ray/30#post_3939732

All they got was Mickey Mouse squeaking something about quality control being on holiday with Pluto.

In defense of people in QC, digital manipulation like this can be reported and ignored. I've seen it happen quite often.

#56 of 57 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 18 2012 - 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon Conway /t/321398/a-few-words-about-the-color-of-money-in-blu-ray/30#post_3939767

In defense of people in QC, digital manipulation like this can be reported and ignored. I've seen it happen quite often.

I was joking. ( well half joking, i just wanted to get Mickey and Pluto in a sentence. )

#57 of 57 OFFLINE   FanboyZ

FanboyZ

Stunt Coordinator

• 242 posts

Posted June 20 2012 - 11:52 AM

It looks like everything in the foreground was hit with massive filtering. The background has some grain and looks better than the foreground.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users