What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Color of Money -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Martin Scorsese's The Color of Money is not an antique film. It is not in dire need of restorative efforts. Which means that the new Blu-ray from Disney should be a veritable slam dunk.

My first exposure to the film was via a 70mm blow-up, with 6-track stereo.

Every grain as captured by cinematographer Michael Ballhaus' camera was there on the screen. Color, densities, shadow detail, all gorgeous.

It was, in every way possible, not only a beautifully produced film, but a masterwork, and one of Paul Newman's most enduring performances.

I've mentioned here before that when something goes wrong, it affects everything to do with a film, and allows even major works to take on an unfortunate visage.

Disney's new Blu-ray of The Color of Money, is one of those unfortunate releases.

The Color of Money, which is a film that I love, is no longer quality entertainment.

Simple as that.

What appears to be original grain is there, but it's out of focus. There is neither sharpness, resolution, nor any detail whatever. There are definite digital problems. The image tends to meander around the screen, never quite certain if or where it wishes to light.

It appears that someone was given an old transfer, told to "fix it," and just kept turning knobs until the all the old problems went away.

And new ones appeared.

I'd run a budget for a proper image harvest for the film -- forget about the audio -- it's good enough for Blu-ray, and we'll not worry about it. But if I ran that budget, it might be overly embarrassing to the wonderful folks at Disney, as it wouldn't be high enough to even bring the concept of releasing what is on this Blu-ray disc into conversation.

I don't understand what's going on here. They're spending far too much money on their animated library, and then allow one of the live action jewels in their crown to go public in an manner in which it should never be seen.

It's almost as if they have something against the filmmaker, and this is one way of showing their corporate displeasure.

The new Blu-ray of Martin Scorsese's The Color of Money, which strangely won Mr. Newman an Academy Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role, is garbage, plain and simple. What is unfortunate is that if this were to be one's only exposure to the film, viewers might find it difficult to understand why anyone was even nominated for anything.

It makes the film look like low-budget product, filmed by a hack.

Image - 0

Audio - 4

Recall!

RAH

• Agreed
Reactions: PMF

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This is just sad. Has anyone inside Scorsese's circle had a chance to give an opinion on this release?
What about the Disney people -- hopefully somebody will acknowledge that this can't possibly be the intended disc and maybe institute a recall or replacement like they have with other mistakes.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
David Norman said:
This is just sad. Has anyone inside Scorsese's circle had a chance to give an opinion on this release?
What about the Disney people -- hopefully somebody will acknowledge that this can't possibly be the intended disc and maybe institute a recall or replacement like they have with other mistakes.
Would love to hear that someone punched in the wrong numbers and delivered an outdated master. But what does that then say about QC?

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
The powers that be at Disney need to re think their live action catalog titles! Esp if the releases are going to be this poorly done. They need to recall this title it really is sad a highly regarded title would get poor treatment. Then again ... MY FAIR LADY!

Evita is due out this month and I hate to think the transfer will be bad on that title also. Not to mention my guilty pleasures of Romy and Michelle's HS reunion, Adventures in Babystitting.. as well as the Cusack films High Fidelity and Gross Pointe Blank

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
What's all the more puzzling is that we know Thelma Schoonmaker was working on the remaster of this title 3 years ago. What in the world compelled Disney to spend the money on that and then completely ignore it for the blu-ray? That's just... moronic.
When I get back home after this weekend I'll see it on my projector. Doesnt seem like I'll wanna watch it for long.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
That bad, is it? This is one title I'm just going to pass on entirely.
I wouldn't mind too much if it was just a somewhat lower-res, older HD transfer since I watch my blu-rays on a relatively modest-sized screen, but it seems like there is far more wrong with this than that.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
"Image - 0"

Something you don't see every day.

Not 1 or 2. Zero.

So, now what?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by JoHud /t/321398/a-few-words-about-the-color-of-money-in-blu-ray#post_3936535
That bad, is it? This is one title I'm just going to pass on entirely.
I wouldn't mind too much if it was just a somewhat lower-res, older HD transfer since I watch my blu-rays on a relatively modest-sized screen, but it seems like there is far more wrong with this than that.

This will certainly look better on smaller screens, but from this point on, if product fails in projection, it fails.

RAH

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
When I saw the diffused-looking screencaps, I was hoping they were misleading and it would actually look better projected in motion. How disappointing. I think the economy has just got the suits at the studios in a penny-pinching mode and they are passing off junk and hoping nobody will notice.

FanboyZ

Second Unit
Real Name
Zolly Shoah Ben-Becker
It's moment like theses that have me thinking that the dream that was Blu Ray, has failed...

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Do the studios have something against Scorsese's films when releasing them in high definition?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Timothy E said:
Do the studios have something against Scorsese's films when releasing them in high definition?
You'd think that Disney would have learned from Gangs Of New York that a) he cares how his movies are presented on video and b) apparently he has the juice to get things fixed when they screw up.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
I bought it because I thought good things would come of it...I mean it's Scorsese, how can they mess this up? Now I don't have a lot of hi tech equipment, I watch on a Toshiba 45 inch, so I know they say "smaller screen looks better", but I do notice details, and if it's bad it's bad and it can be seen. I popped this in when I got it along with Yellow Submarine on Tuesday when it came out (which is a high quality release...hopefully reviews will come soon), and something did not look right...I saw grain, not a lot, but the colors, where were they? Glad you confirmed the things I was thinking. I guess the only positive with this is that, unlike the DVD it's a 16x9 transfer, which the DVD was not, but if the DVD was, I would be returning this ASAP. And an anniversary edition with no special features? RAH, there was a sticker on the front claiming "restoration", I know how you feel about that.

FanboyZ

Second Unit
Real Name
Zolly Shoah Ben-Becker
I think this has to do with Disney promising to China that they would dick with Scorsese's work as penance for the whole "Kundun" situation.
Remember they erased Billy Ray Cyrus after he was critical of Hannah Montana:

THEY WILL VAULT YOU BECAUSE THEY ARE DISNEY.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
FanboyZ said:
It's moment like theses that have me thinking that the dream that was Blu Ray, has failed...
But it's moments like watching Yellow Submarine right after this so-called "restoration" per sticker, and seeing the care Paul Rutan and Triage labs put into Yellow Submarine that immediately restored my faith back in Blu Ray.
Critereon, Warners, and Columbia I will usually buy anything they do. Warner's has some occasional hiccups. But MGM/UA, Disney (non animated), and especially Universal I usually wait. Except here, I thought they would do right by Scorsese. This is a Blu Ray budget release.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Robert Harris said:
This will certainly look better on smaller screens, but from this point on, if product fails in projection, it fails.
RAH
If this is the new criteria, it makes these 'reviews' utterly worthless for those of us who don't project. As someone who watches on a 55 inch screen, I can gather no information, whatsoever, about this title.
David

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
David Weicker said:
If this is the new criteria, it makes these 'reviews' utterly worthless for those of us who don't project. As someone who watches on a 55 inch screen, I can gather no information, whatsoever, about this title.
Given the very negative reactions that this disc is getting, it sounds like it's pretty lousy on any larger screen. This doesn't seem like other times when RAH has said that a disc could be better and other people over react and want to storm Castle Universal with pitchforks and torches. And he can chime in but when he says "smaller screens", I take that to mean monitors much smaller than 55 inches.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Robert Harris said:
RAH
Better than projection, but still very, very poor on a 40" screen. No real detail, and lacks any kind of filmic look that Blu-Ray is capable of. I would give it better marks for at least having better sound than the dvd, and finally anamorphic widescreen but for such a great film(and one of Paul Newman's best performances) this is a slap in the face.
"Who is minding the store?"

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I wouldn't mind a bit more detail on this blu-ray's faults in regards to image quality. It doesn't seem like a transfer problem, at least not entirely. The suggestion of someone knob-turning in an attempt to fix the video leads me to believe that a mediocre transfer was made worse by an inept home video staff. Heck, it practically sounds like an upconversion.
I'm just clutching straws that it might not be "that bad" on my 50" TV since this is likely one of those instances where the DVD isn't a recommended alternative under any circumstances and hoping the blu-ray could be a borderline acceptable...er..."upgrade." However, I'm getting the impression its just no good period.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Robert Harris /t/321398/a-few-words-about-the-color-of-money-in-blu-ray#post_3936482

The new Blu-ray of Martin Scorsese's The Color of Money, which strangely won Mr. Newman an Academy Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role, is garbage, plain and simple.

Image - 0

Audio - 4

Recall!

RAH

So Bluray.com called it right and DVDBeaver called it wrong, shame that another great film has been ruined on what should have been the ultimate movie format.

These studio's are saving me a fortune, not buying this.

So why did they not use the Thelma Schoonmaker approved version that was worked on last year. ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks