Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Ten Favorite Star Trek TOS Episodes

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 of 70 OFFLINE   Shatner's Grim Reaper

Shatner's Grim Reaper

Supporting Actor

• 565 posts

Posted June 09 2012 - 04:58 AM

No need to say why unless you want to. 1. City On The Edge of Forever 2. Balance of Terror 3. The Menagerie 4. Where No Man Has Gone Before 5. Shore Leave 6. Tomorrow Is Yesterday 7. The Galileo Seven 8. The Conscience Of The King 9. Court Martial 10. The Naked Time Honorable Mention: Mirror, Mirror

#2 of 70 OFFLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,334 posts

Posted June 09 2012 - 06:00 AM

First-season purist, I see! The City on the Edge of Forever Mirror, Mirror The Tholian Web The Devil in the Dark Journey to Babel Amok Time Arena Errand of Mercy This Side of Paradise The Immunity Syndrome Honorable Mentions (one per year): The Galileo Seven, Return to Tomorrow, The Empath

#3 of 70 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,171 posts

Posted June 09 2012 - 07:25 AM

1-The Doomsday Machine 2-The Trouble With Tribbles 3-All Our Yesterdays 4-Balance Of Terror 5-Mirror, Mirror 6-The Ultimate Computer 7-City On The Edge Of Forever 8-The Tholian Web 9-The Galileo Seven 10-Space Seed

#4 of 70 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted June 09 2012 - 12:38 PM

I didn't # mine snce it's too hard for me to pick in order for 10 of these. - City on the Edge of Forever - Tomorrow is Yesterday - The Doomsday Machine - Elaan Of Troyius - The Return of the Archons - The Corbomite Maneuver - Assignment: Earth - Bread and Circuses - The Enterprise Incident - All Our Yesterdays Favorite opening theme

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#5 of 70 OFFLINE   Shatner's Grim Reaper

Shatner's Grim Reaper

Supporting Actor

• 565 posts

Posted June 09 2012 - 12:45 PM

Jeff....I didn't realize that you loved "Tomorrow Is Yesterday" so much. :)

#6 of 70 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted June 09 2012 - 01:06 PM

Jeff....I didn't realize that you loved "Tomorrow Is Yesterday" so much. :)

Corrected :laugh: Posted Image

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#7 of 70 OFFLINE   EdG

EdG

Stunt Coordinator

• 144 posts

Posted June 09 2012 - 03:03 PM

City on the Edge of Forever Shore Leave The Menagerie Mirror, Mirror The Doomsday Machine Bread and Circuses A Piece of the Action Where No Man Has Gone Before The Enterprise Incident Tomorrow is Yesterday Too many honorable mentions for me to mention.

#8 of 70 OFFLINE   Jeff*H

Jeff*H

Supporting Actor

• 704 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted June 09 2012 - 05:12 PM

Some Season 3 shows made it onto my list! 1). The Doomsday Machine- this one has it all 2). Space Seed- loved this one long before 1982's "Wrath of Khan" came along 3). Mirror, Mirror- fantastic concept, well executed 4). The Ultimate Computer- the best "computer run amok" story 5). Tomorrow is Yesterday- favorite time travel adventure 6). Balance of Terror-the Romulans at their finest 7). Spectre of the Gun- sheer fun, Star Trek at the OK Corral 8). Shore Leave- lots of fun seeing new sides to the characters 9). The Paradise Syndrome- loved the scenery, the score and always thought this was the classic series' version of TNG's "Inner Light" 10). Metamorphosis- another great score, and the sad story of Zefram Cochrane Tally: 4 season 1's, 4 season 2's and 2 season 3's. For a runner up, I'd go with "Amok Time". For all-time worst, it would have to be "The Way to Eden".
Facebook members, be sure to visit my Hawaii Five-0 Celebration page:  http://www.facebook....113331868678710

#9 of 70 ONLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,691 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted June 10 2012 - 06:11 AM

I made a point to *not* look at anyone else's list before I did this. Picking only 10 was difficult and I had to cut a good half-dozen other episodes to get down to just 10. There were a few I knew would make the final cut from the start (the Romulan episodes in particular). In no particular order these are my 10 most favorite episodes: S1: Balance of Terror Shore Leave Space Seed The Devil in the Dark S2: Amok Time The Trouble With Tribbles The Doomsday Machine S3: The Enterprise Incident The Tholian Web All Our Yesterdays All time worst? For me, it's The Empath. I know lots of people like this one and it typically ranks very high in view polls, but it just doesn't do anything for me. I didn't like this one when I saw it during first run. Following close on the heels of that one is: The Omega Glory, And the Children Shall Lead, and The Way to Eden. In spite of how many feel about Spock's Brain I'd rather watch it than any of those 4 (and a half dozen or so others for that matter). And a special mention for the original pilot, The Cage. I like the stand-alone episode better than the integrated-into-a-2-parter The Menagerie. It *almost* made my top 10 episodes.

#10 of 70 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,171 posts

Posted June 10 2012 - 06:43 AM

Worst episode for me is "Patterns Of Force". The premise is even dumber than anything Lost In Space did and is an example only of a studio trying to save on the budget by getting use out of Hogan's Heroes costumes that were available.

#11 of 70 OFFLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,334 posts

Posted June 10 2012 - 07:20 AM

Howie, I'm curious about your view of the popular conception of The Empath. I like it a lot, but my impression was that most other viewers feel the way you do about it. There are at least a dozen episodes I like better, but I think of it as the most underrated episode, if not the best. Don't worry: you can still hate it! Just wondered where you saw it fare so well in polls...it will make me feel less eccentric.

#12 of 70 ONLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,691 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted June 10 2012 - 10:58 AM

Howie, I'm curious about your view of the popular conception of The Empath. I like it a lot, but my impression was that most other viewers feel the way you do about it. There are at least a dozen episodes I like better, but I think of it as the most underrated episode, if not the best. Don't worry: you can still hate it! Just wondered where you saw it fare so well in polls...it will make me feel less eccentric.

Specifically it's highly ranked in Star Trek Magazine #36 - The Ultimate Guide Part 1. They ranked it as the 3rd best episode from Season 3. The ratings they assigned were done by a single writer who had been assigned a season and tasked with ranking the top 5 episodes as well as selecting the worst of the season. It also has a 6.8/10 at IMDB. While not stellar, it's more than respectable. The Space Seed, and City on the Edge of Forever, 2 episides that are *always* at the top of lists, received 8.9 and 9.2 respectively. It seems like everywhere I see episodes discussed The Empath gets high marks with many supporters making comments like yours that it's "the most underrated episode".

#13 of 70 OFFLINE   Carabimero

Carabimero

Screenwriter

• 1,404 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 10 2012 - 11:18 AM

First ten that come to mind: The Doomsday Machine The Corbomite Maneuver City on the Edge of Forever Amok Time The Devil In The Dark Balance of Terror Tomorrow is Yesterday Mirror, Mirror Journey to Babel Arena Favorite: The Doomsday Machine Worst: The Empath

#14 of 70 OFFLINE   bryan4999

bryan4999

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted June 10 2012 - 11:48 AM

In no particular order: The Cage - I like the roughness about it, seemed more like the military than it did later, the early scene between Pike and the Doctor is one of my favorite Star Trek moments Journey to Babel - strong story with lots of personal and Star Fleet info and great guest stars The Galileo Seven - love seeing Spock in the hot seat, his interactions with McCoy, and his final gambit, this is also one where I really love the new CGI on the blu-ray version Court Martial - great mystery, legal and physical peril, intense acting, and the sets and lighting are so colorful The Devil in the Dark - a very human story, which Star Trek is so good at, and the kind of social commentary Roddenberry wanted to do (and in 1966 yet) The Enterprise Incident - great twists in the story, Kirk in pointed ears and the sexiest Vulcan commander ever Tomorrow is Yesterday - action, time travel, ethical dilemmas - Star Trek at its best City of The Edge of Forever - great romance and great sci-fi all in one - like Casablanca they just aren't meant to be together. The Ultimate Computer - interesting story (Skynet anyone?) and important to me personally - I was just a little kid when this was first shown but I remember seeing it in prime time and being fascinated by the Trek universe Amok Time - so important in Spock and Kirk's relationship and in depicting Vulcan culture Hard to choose, so many are so compelling. There are only a few that I avoid: Patterns of Force, This Way to Eden, Omega Glory

#15 of 70 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,792 posts

Posted June 10 2012 - 11:51 AM

Kind of difficult to rank them, but something like this: The City on the Edge of Forever Where No Man Has Gone Before The Omega Glory Mirror, Mirror Arena The Changeling The Enterprise Incident The Naked Time Balance of Terror The Ultimate Computer All Our Yesterdays - Walter.
Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#16 of 70 OFFLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,334 posts

Posted June 10 2012 - 11:59 AM

Thanks, Howie. I am pleased and amused at the thought of millions of us harboring the illusion that it is underrated. I'll have to go try to find that magazine issue. In any case, I may not have the pulse of fandom, as I would not have expected some of the most frequent titles listed in this thread.

#17 of 70 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,173 posts

Posted June 10 2012 - 12:16 PM

Balance of Terror

The City on the Edge of Forever

The Doomsday Machine

Amok Time

Space Seed

Mirror, Mirror

The Naked Time

Errand of Mercy

The Mark of Gideon

The Changeling

#18 of 70 ONLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,691 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted June 10 2012 - 01:45 PM

With 11 lists posted I thought it might be interesting to see what's received the most votes. Here are the combined totals so far: 9 - The City On The Edge of Forever 7 - Balance of Terror 7 - Mirror, Mirror 7 - The Doomsday Machine 6 - Tomorrow Is Yesterday 5 - Amok Time 5 - The Enterprise Incident 4 - Shore Leave 4 - Space Seed 4 - The Devil in the Dark 4 - The Ultimate Computer 3 - All Our Yesterdays 3 - Arena 3 - Journey to Babel 3 - The Galileo Seven 3 - The Naked Time 3 - The Tholian Web 3 - Where No Man Has Gone Before 2 - Bread and Circuses 2 - Court Martial 2 - Errand of Mercy 2 - The Changeling 2 - The Corbomite Maneuver 2 - The Menagerie 2 - The Trouble With Tribbles 1 - A Piece of the Action 1 - Assignment: Earth 1 - Elaan Of Troyius 1 - Metamorphosis 1 - Spectre of the Gun 1 - The Cage 1 - The Conscience Of The King 1 - The Immunity Syndrome 1 - The Mark of Gideon 1 - The Omega Glory 1 - The Paradise Syndrome 1 - The Return of the Archons 1 - This Side of Paradise It came as no surprise that The City On The Edge of Forever received the most votes. I was one of 2 people who did not include this episode. Like The Cage, it *almost* made my top 10.

#19 of 70 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,368 posts

Posted June 10 2012 - 01:56 PM

My top 10 would be the following: 1. Space Seed 2. Doomsday Machine 3. Bread and Circus 4. Shoreleave 5. Enterprise Incident 6. Spectre of the Gun 7, Balance of Terror 8. The Trouble with Tribbles 9. A Piece of the Action 10. Arena. There were some amazing episodes. I like the digitally re-mastered doomsday as my favorite!

#20 of 70 OFFLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,334 posts

Posted June 10 2012 - 03:22 PM

Thank you for compiling that list, Howie. It was the high frequency of The Enterprise Incident and, especially, Tomorrow is Yesterday that surprised me. I enjoy both shows, but don't often see them in top 10 lists.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users