Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Just signed up from U-Verse, leaving Dish Network

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   JeremyR

JeremyR

Second Unit

• 405 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted June 08 2012 - 06:13 AM

I must admit I'm a little nervous about the switch. Dish has always been pretty good, but I've never been a fan of their menus, the interface, or the DVR particularly. We only have two HDTV's in our home hooked up to broadcast TV, and intend to keep it that way. The kiddo's room doesn't need it. Our current Dish DVR only outputs HD to one TV, and SD to the other. I wanted to go to HD on both TV's, and AT&T gave me an awfully attractive offer to go to U-Verse. I am concerned about the picture quality from U-Verse and while I don't expect it to be as good as Dish, how much of a downgrade is it? Has anybody ever done the switch and had a problem with the quality of the picture?

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,263 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted June 08 2012 - 06:41 AM

I'm also interested in hearing some testimonials, pro or con, because I've considered switching over from Comcast.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   ShowMeCables

ShowMeCables

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted June 08 2012 - 08:47 AM

Jeramy, The menus are easy to navigate on Uverse, i think you will find them easy to use. There are a couple of negatives that i have found with the UVerse. First off, When i had DTV, I would leave TV on for dog while i was at work. When I would do this with my Uverse, it shuts itself down after so many hours of time if you don't change any channels. So, i would come home from work and the TV was on with the Blue screen of death and the STB was turned off. The second, and more bothersome to me, is that the video signals amongst the boxes in your home will not be synced up to eachother. So, if you have a tv in your kitchen and can hear the tv in family room, they will be a fraction off. Other than that, I like the fact that you can get an RF remote so you can have equipment in a cabinet or closet

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,917 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted June 08 2012 - 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by ShowMeCables 

Jeramy,
The menus are easy to navigate on Uverse, i think you will find them easy to use. There are a couple of negatives that i have found with the UVerse. First off, When i had DTV, I would leave TV on for dog while i was at work. When I would do this with my Uverse, it shuts itself down after so many hours of time if you don't change any channels. So, i would come home from work and the TV was on with the Blue screen of death and the STB was turned off. The second, and more bothersome to me, is that the video signals amongst the boxes in your home will not be synced up to eachother. So, if you have a tv in your kitchen and can hear the tv in family room, they will be a fraction off.
Other than that, I like the fact that you can get an RF remote so you can have equipment in a cabinet or closet

I wonder if the auto-off can be turned off in the menu?

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,279 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted June 08 2012 - 09:57 AM

Just make sure you factor in the cost of HD channels on U-Verse. Many assume HD is included with the package, but it is not, not even your locals.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   JeremyR

JeremyR

Second Unit

• 405 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted June 10 2012 - 12:45 PM

The rate they are quoting me right now does include HD Channels, but thanks for the heads up. U-Verse has generally seemed the priciest option, but they offered a pretty amazing deal to stick around and with only a one year committment with the price locked in for that year, so I just couldn't say no.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   ShowMeCables

ShowMeCables

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted June 11 2012 - 05:47 AM

negative. You cannot adjust the auto off in the menu section.