What's new

1492 CONQUEST of PARADISE Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

Ernest

Supporting Actor
I received the Blu-Ray of Ridley Scott's 1492 today that I ordered from Amazon.Fr. The French title is 1492 Christophe Colomb. To my pleasant surprise the back of the cover states:
Video: 1080P (Not the 1080i/50 showed on the website)
Audio: DTS-HD 2.0 MA (This would be the correct lossless for a 1992 release)
Region Code: "Region-Free"
Running Time: 2 hours and 30 minutes.
The packaging states Region "B" but I was able to play the Blu-Ray in a Philips player that is a designated Region "1" for DVD & "A" for Blu-Ray player. I will watch the movie tonight and post a short review tomorrow.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I use this film in some of my classes and I'm still relying on the widescreen VHS copy I bought nearly 20 years ago (and it is not in the greatest of shape). Was this expensive?

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Viewed the movie tonight and the Blu-Ray is a big improvement compared to the region 4 DVD I previously purchased. Much more detail in all the scenes with vivid colors and very deep blacks. The DTS-HD 2.0 MA was very dynamic my Sony HD receiver spread the sound throughout the 5 speakers with the subwoffer adding lots of bass during the action scenes. The delivered price including the shipping was $28.33.

ricktech12

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
Yes Ernest the Blu-ray from France for the film definitely is a huge improvement, it's as close to how the film looked theatrically (I saw it at the theater so I can vouch for that). That disc won't play in every Region A and Region 1 Blu-ray player, it has some kind of hertz issue, so you lucked out there. In my opinion the film has been neglected in the USA, it deserves a Blu-ray/DVD release and a proper HD master supervised by Ridley Scott, it doesn't deserve to not be seen, it's a very well done movie.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
I own 4 Region-Free DVD/Blu-Ray players that will play Blu-Ray regions "A, B, or C" and 1080i/50. I knew when I made the purchase my players would be able to play the Blu-Ray. According to the packaging 1492 is 1080P/24 so their is no hertz problem. The problem occurs when the International Blu-Ray (Strike Back) is presented in 1080i. The international standard for 1080i is 50 hertz while the USA is 60 hertz. Most USA players are set to display in 60 hertz and don't convert the 50 to 60 resulting in a blank LCD/Plasma screen. The TV's can only display 60 hertz and it is the TV that upconverts the 60 to 120 or 240 or 480.
As I have said before anyone interested in buying DVD's or Blu-Ray that are other than region 1 or A needs to purchase a Region-Free player. You can purchase a Region-Free Toshiba or LG from many sellers for under $200.00. You can also buy an Oppo if you want to spend several hundred more. The players I purchased have a hardware fix so firmware updates do not affect the players region-free capability. I mention this because I have read there was a firmware update for the Momitsu Blu-Ray player that changed it to region 1/A cancelling its region-free capability. I haven't read if there was a fix so if anyone owns a Momitsu best not to download any firmware updates.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks