Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Time/Life Press Release: The Carol Burnett Show: The Ultimate Collection

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
335 replies to this topic

#321 of 336 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted October 03 2013 - 05:18 PM

Just ordered mine and waiting for it to get here by the week's end.

#322 of 336 OFFLINE   cherisland

cherisland

Stunt Coordinator

• 166 posts

Posted October 04 2013 - 01:26 PM

The Walmart stores in the city I live in here in Wpg. MB,Canada all have the "Christmas With Carol" dvds priced at $10. Wish I had known that before ordering mine off amazon.ca - oh well i only paid a dollar more for it!

#323 of 336 OFFLINE   chadHobbick

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator

• 141 posts

Posted April 17 2014 - 08:42 AM

Has anyone else purchased the new 6 disc set, Carol's Crack Ups?  I purchased it off Amazon this week and when it arrived it was missing disc 3.  If you get this set make sure you have all the discs.

I decided to contact time-life/star vista first about this as I thought it might be a widespread issue, and was rudely told there was nothing they could do for me.  I don't think I've ever been spoken to so curtly as that representative did.  She said I purchased it through Amazon and it was their problem, not ours.  She said she would be more than glad to place a new order for me at a nice discount, $2 off the retail price.  I said thanks for the help and just hung up on her.  Amazon said they would just ship me out a new set and I asked them to please look into if they received a bad batch missing discs.

#324 of 336 OFFLINE   mrz7

mrz7

Stunt Coordinator

• 138 posts

Posted April 17 2014 - 12:06 PM

I did receive my copy of the 6 DVD set of "Carols Crackups", but my DVDs were all there.  However, I notice the case they were in could fit 8 DVDs......so two of the holders had no DVDs in them.  I thought it was odd that Star Vista would spend extra money on an eight disc holder for a 6 DVD set.  Then I found out that Costco has an exclusive of this set (8 DVDs) with 3 additional shows and bonus features.  Makes me very mad that Star Vista keeps doing this.....for one, because I already ordered the 6 DVD set AND two, I don't have a membership to Costco (nor do I want one). 

In any case, I only finished watching the 1st DVD.....so far all the shows are intact (they are uncut).  They are all new shows (nothing is repeated from the 2012 Ultimate Collection).  However, if you have the Columbia House version, only 7 of the 17 shows are repeated from the Columbia House (31 DVD set).  Lots of bonus sketches featuring Tim Conway (including the old man sketch featuring the old man as a fireman......been waiting for that sketch to come on DVD for a long time!!!).  Also, the full uncut show featuring Charo......which I have also been waiting for long time......luv the skit in which Carol plays Charo's mother......frickin hysterical!!!!  Only other disappointment, I thought the full sketch of the "Family" skit featuring the Tim Conway's "Siamese Elephants" was on the first DVD.....but it's not the show that I thought it was.  There is a small segment though of this skit featured in one of the featurettes on the first DVD (not the greatest quality....very similar to the one found on YouTube).  Also, just to let you all know, you won't find too many "Family Skits" (only one that I have notice with Rodney McDowall from the 11th season) and there are no "Tuddball and Wiggins" skits.  So if you are looking for more these skits....you might be a little disappointed in this set.

But if you want more new shows from the Carol Burnett Show (with the exception of 7 shows repeated from the Columbia House set).....this 6 DVD set is what you want.  Or if you are a Costco member the 8 DVD set (btw.....the 7th DVD of Costco's version features 3 uncut new shows (one has been repeated from the Columbia House version...and that would then make it 8 repeated shows if you bought this version)).  And 8th DVD of the Costco set just features some featurettes and interviews (no additional shows). 

I hope that helps you all!!!    

#325 of 336 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted April 17 2014 - 11:41 PM

Has anyone else purchased the new 6 disc set, Carol's Crack Ups?  I purchased it off Amazon this week and when it arrived it was missing disc 3.  If you get this set make sure you have all the discs.

I decided to contact time-life/star vista first about this as I thought it might be a widespread issue, and was rudely told there was nothing they could do for me.  I don't think I've ever been spoken to so curtly as that representative did.  She said I purchased it through Amazon and it was their problem, not ours.  She said she would be more than glad to place a new order for me at a nice discount, $2 off the retail price.  I said thanks for the help and just hung up on her.  Amazon said they would just ship me out a new set and I asked them to please look into if they received a bad batch missing discs.

It's happened to me as well, when i got a WWE set once that had two of the same discs in there and so I just took it back to Wal-mart where i got it originally and they allowed me to get another set, so factory defects can happen. That person at TL should be reported immediately and hoping you got a name and just ask for a supervisor when you call back and they rectify this matter once and for all, through proper discipline or her being fired. But it didn't stop her from wanting to place another order for you at the instant, now did it? Glad you told her off.

#326 of 336 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted April 17 2014 - 11:42 PM

I did receive my copy of the 6 DVD set of "Carols Crackups", but my DVDs were all there.  However, I notice the case they were in could fit 8 DVDs......so two of the holders had no DVDs in them.  I thought it was odd that Star Vista would spend extra money on an eight disc holder for a 6 DVD set.  Then I found out that Costco has an exclusive of this set (8 DVDs) with 3 additional shows and bonus features.  Makes me very mad that Star Vista keeps doing this.....for one, because I already ordered the 6 DVD set AND two, I don't have a membership to Costco (nor do I want one). 

In any case, I only finished watching the 1st DVD.....so far all the shows are intact (they are uncut).  They are all new shows (nothing is repeated from the 2012 Ultimate Collection).  However, if you have the Columbia House version, only 7 of the 17 shows are repeated from the Columbia House (31 DVD set).  Lots of bonus sketches featuring Tim Conway (including the old man sketch featuring the old man as a fireman......been waiting for that sketch to come on DVD for a long time!!!).  Also, the full uncut show featuring Charo......which I have also been waiting for long time......luv the skit in which Carol plays Charo's mother......frickin hysterical!!!!  Only other disappointment, I thought the full sketch of the "Family" skit featuring the Tim Conway's "Siamese Elephants" was on the first DVD.....but it's not the show that I thought it was.  There is a small segment though of this skit featured in one of the featurettes on the first DVD (not the greatest quality....very similar to the one found on YouTube).  Also, just to let you all know, you won't find too many "Family Skits" (only one that I have notice with Rodney McDowall from the 11th season) and there are no "Tuddball and Wiggins" skits.  So if you are looking for more these skits....you might be a little disappointed in this set.

But if you want more new shows from the Carol Burnett Show (with the exception of 7 shows repeated from the Columbia House set).....this 6 DVD set is what you want.  Or if you are a Costco member the 8 DVD set (btw.....the 7th DVD of Costco's version features 3 uncut new shows (one has been repeated from the Columbia House version...and that would then make it 8 repeated shows if you bought this version)).  And 8th DVD of the Costco set just features some featurettes and interviews (no additional shows). 

I hope that helps you all!!!    

So there is a limited edition available then of this newest set. Why did I have a feeling that was going to happen? 

#327 of 336 OFFLINE   chadHobbick

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator

• 141 posts

Posted April 18 2014 - 09:47 AM

Why do they do this bonus disc crap w/more episodes?  If you are going to have a bonus disc make it just that, bonus stuff like more interviews or something.  This type of stuff frustrates me to no end!

#328 of 336 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,456 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted April 18 2014 - 01:03 PM

I don't mind so much that they have exclusives, but put that in the press release so people can plan their purchases accordingly.

So here is the updated schedule of episodes released, for anyone that is interested.  With this release, counting the new Costco exclusive, we now have 85 episodes on dvd.  8 episodes are exclusive to the Columbia House/Guthy-Renker sets, while 23 are exclusive to Time-Life/StarVista.  However, of those 23 StarVista exclusives, 4 are edited and missing their musical finales.

If I hear of any more exclusives (Walmart, etc.), I'll update the schedule.

Attached File  CAROL BURNETT SHOW ON DVD.pdf   11.44KB   99 downloads 

• Rob_Ray likes this

#329 of 336 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,507 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted April 18 2014 - 01:42 PM

I don't mind so much that they have exclusives, but put that in the press release so people can plan their purchases accordingly.

So here is the updated schedule of episodes released, for anyone that is interested.  With this release, counting the new Costco exclusive, we now have 85 episodes on dvd.  8 episodes are exclusive to the Columbia House/Guthy-Renker sets, while 23 are exclusive to Time-Life/StarVista.  However, of those 23 StarVista exclusives, 4 are edited and missing their musical finales.

If I hear of any more exclusives (Walmart, etc.), I'll update the schedule.

attachicon.gifCAROL BURNETT SHOW ON DVD.pdf

Thanks for the updated list, John.  I just picked this up at Costco this morning.

#330 of 336 OFFLINE   chadHobbick

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator

• 141 posts

Posted April 18 2014 - 02:27 PM

I received my replacement set today from Amazon, and disc 3 was missing again.  I opted for just a refund and i'll try my luck locally or something.

#331 of 336 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,456 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted April 18 2014 - 02:56 PM

I received my replacement set today from Amazon, and disc 3 was missing again.  I opted for just a refund and i'll try my luck locally or something.

Oh, that is just too crazy! :(  

If you go with the Costco set, it was only $29 at my local Costco.  Quite a bit cheaper, plus extra episodes.  Pretty good deal for those with a Costco membership.  

#332 of 336 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted April 18 2014 - 05:58 PM

Chad, like John said, go with the Costco one and save yourself a few bucks and you'll get more fresh content on there or if not, then try Ebay as well. I wish TL/Stavista would stop playing these games with their sets and just allow us the chance to purchase these sets with the bonus materials on them and make them available everywhere. Enough of the store exclusive stuff already.

#333 of 336 OFFLINE   chadHobbick

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator

• 141 posts

Posted April 19 2014 - 06:18 PM

I'm in OKC, so we don't have a Costco anywhere close by nor am I a member.  Thanks for the suggestions though

#334 of 336 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted April 20 2014 - 01:53 PM

I'm in OKC, so we don't have a Costco anywhere close by nor am I a member.  Thanks for the suggestions though

I see what you mean Chad as the closest one to you in all the way in Frisco, Texas, about 163 miles away. Ebay would be your best bet then, unless Amazon Marketplace will have one available.

#335 of 336 OFFLINE   texboil

texboil

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted April 29 2014 - 09:32 AM

Was the "One More Time" set ever released individually, i.e., outside of the Time-Life Ultimate Collection?

#336 of 336 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted April 29 2014 - 04:27 PM

Tex, it was at one time or another but it sold out rather quickly at Amazon and through their marketplace sections, so not sure if we'll be seeing this version available again, unless you buy the whole set again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users