What's new

Motion Interpolation Breakdown (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Shawn Lilianstrom
Anyone know of where I can find a breakdown of which company's televisions provide the best motion interpolation with anti-judder? I've got my television decision down to two, and I want to see how they rank.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by raptorspike /t/321205/motion-interpolation-breakdown#post_3933817
best motion interpolation

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Most folks find any sort of motion interpolation distracting for at least some material. To me, the best motion interpolation is one you can completely disable.

That being said, I don't think you're likely to find any online list of the "best" motion interpolation method since everyone's preferences on the subject will vary dramatically from person to person.

Really, what you need to do is audition both sets in person and judge for yourself what is acceptable and preferrable for a variety of sources. I would be sure to compare the effectiveness for TV sources - sports programming, news/talk programming, as well as traditional programming. Also see what you think about movies (animated and live-action) with motion interpolation active.

Actually, if you've already reduced your options to two models, why would you want a comprehensive list anyway? Wouldn't that just confuse the issue and possibly render your current choices moot? Compare the two sets in person and you'll know for certain which is the better set for you.

Real Name
Shawn Lilianstrom
I ask because I have read that there are two kinds. Ones that just double each frame and ones that actually clean the blurring up as the scene goes.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
interpolation, by definition is the addition of "new" frames that bridge the difference in motion between the original frames. I have never seen this as a "good" thing and always adds a fluidity to the video that makes the film source look very unnatural.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks