Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Motion Interpolation Breakdown

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   raptorspike

raptorspike

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted June 02 2012 - 12:31 PM

Anyone know of where I can find a breakdown of which company's televisions provide the best motion interpolation with anti-judder? I've got my television decision down to two, and I want to see how they rank.

#2 of 4 ONLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,952 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted June 04 2012 - 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by raptorspike 

best motion interpolation

Isn't that an oxymoron? Posted Image

Most folks find any sort of motion interpolation distracting for at least some material.  To me, the best motion interpolation is one you can completely disable.

That being said, I don't think you're likely to find any online list of the "best" motion interpolation method since everyone's preferences on the subject will vary dramatically from person to person.

Really, what you need to do is audition both sets in person and judge for yourself what is acceptable and preferrable for a variety of sources.  I would be sure to compare the effectiveness for TV sources - sports programming, news/talk programming, as well as traditional programming.  Also see what you think about movies (animated and live-action) with motion interpolation active.

Actually, if you've already reduced your options to two models, why would you want a comprehensive list anyway?  Wouldn't that just confuse the issue and possibly render your current choices moot?  Compare the two sets in person and you'll know for certain which is the better set for you.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   raptorspike

raptorspike

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted June 05 2012 - 01:42 PM

I ask because I have read that there are two kinds. Ones that just double each frame and ones that actually clean the blurring up as the scene goes.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Producer

• 6,326 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted June 14 2012 - 10:32 PM

interpolation, by definition is the addition of "new" frames that bridge the difference in motion between the original frames. I have never seen this as a "good" thing and always adds a fluidity to the video that makes the film source look very unnatural.

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current