Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Hatfields and McCoys

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 of 26 OFFLINE   MarkMel

MarkMel

Screenwriter

• 1,610 posts

Posted May 30 2012 - 08:49 AM

Surprised there wasn't a thread on this, especially since it broke ratings records. From CelebrityCafe.com "Memorial Day’s premiere showing of Hatfields & McCoys brought the History Channel miniseries record-high numbers with 13.9 million viewers. The numbers made the show the highest-rated non-sports telecast in recent cable history, even holding its own against NBC’s America’s Got Talent. " I have it DVRd and have watched almost all of part 1. Although it moves slowly, at the onset it seems to be a well acted and put together mini-series. We'll see how it feels at the conclusion. I'm also trying to find out how true to history the mini-series is. From what I've read so far, good records weren't kept and a lot of the story is coming from accounts printed in the sensationalized newspaper stories. Fictional or based on true events - not sure how I feel about that kind of programing on the History Channel.
"and no one seems to understand the glory of guitar, when out of tune, the off timing, the singers who can't sing, - the beauty of flaw!"

"I apologize if there is anyone in this room I have not offended" - Brahms

My Band - Charlie Don't Surf! https://www.facebook...arlieDontSurfCT

#2 of 26 ONLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 15,304 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted May 30 2012 - 10:05 AM

Fictional or based on true events - not sure how I feel about that kind of programing on the History Channel.
Considering that we're talking about the network behind Ice Road Truckers, Ax Men and Pawn Stars alongside "documentaries" about monsters, aliens and conspiracies I think the ship of historical accuracy sailed a long time ago.

#3 of 26 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 26,164 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 30 2012 - 10:39 AM

I love it so far after viewing the second episode today. 

Here is a good article about it.

http://tvbythenumber...history/136055/

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#4 of 26 ONLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,659 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted May 30 2012 - 10:47 AM

Is there a single one of those "cable" channels whose programming has anything to do with original concepts?     Not only has the ship sailed ... I believe the train has left the station and the horse has gotten out of the barn.

#5 of 26 OFFLINE   MarkMel

MarkMel

Screenwriter

• 1,610 posts

Posted May 30 2012 - 11:20 AM

Considering that we're talking about the network behind Ice Road Truckers, Ax Men and Pawn Stars alongside "documentaries" about monsters, aliens and conspiracies I think the ship of historical accuracy sailed a long time ago.
Ha so true, when you look at it that way.
"and no one seems to understand the glory of guitar, when out of tune, the off timing, the singers who can't sing, - the beauty of flaw!"

#6 of 26 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 15,127 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted May 30 2012 - 12:16 PM

Posted Image

#7 of 26 OFFLINE   Jeffery_H

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted May 30 2012 - 03:39 PM

I really like the mini-series so far and will watch it wrap up tonight. Very good period piece and the acting and sets are great too. I really like Costner in most things Western based. In real life history, it is very murky at best. While they did research on this and there are indeed historical documents supporting some of the events between the two families, some aspects are still unclear. Like tonight on the National news, they said the feud ALL started over a pig, but that's not entirely true either. They did show the two families in present day and neither side is remotely like their old relatives thank goodness and survive happy and peaceful even having family reunions. A very colorful family history though to say the least.

#8 of 26 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 26,164 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 30 2012 - 03:54 PM

The big ratings continue through the second episode.  Excellent for a channel like the History Channel.

http://news.yahoo.co...-184545841.html

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#9 of 26 OFFLINE   Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,223 posts

Posted May 30 2012 - 04:13 PM

Hopefully, I will get around to watching the rest of Part 1 today. From what I've seen so far and hearing from others, it does look interesting, with the beginning reminding me a little bit of "Dances With Wolves", mainly because of Kevin Costner in the Civil War setting.

TV Episodes Watched - 2015 - May
Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read) / 2014 (1 read)

#10 of 26 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Executive Producer

• 10,071 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 31 2012 - 10:18 AM

I caught a few minutes here and there during timeouts in the basketball game, and liked what I saw. I think my wife would enjoy it too. Hopefully I can catch it in full in reruns. It may not be completely true to historical events, but it's nice to see some new material on History that's at least *related* to history. Not to mention the great ratings! Hopefully that will send a message.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#11 of 26 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 26,164 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 31 2012 - 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman /t/321112/hatfields-and-mccoys#post_3932223

I caught a few minutes here and there during timeouts in the basketball game, and liked what I saw. I think my wife would enjoy it too. Hopefully I can catch it in full in reruns.
It may not be completely true to historical events, but it's nice to see some new material on History that's at least *related* to history. Not to mention the great ratings! Hopefully that will send a message.

It's not too far from the facts as I know them.  A finished the third episode a few hours ago and I have to say this was a great program with top notch writing and acting.

Another article that reflects the ratings for all three episodes.

http://news.yahoo.co...-222023302.html

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#12 of 26 OFFLINE   Diallo B

Diallo B

Screenwriter

• 1,076 posts

Posted May 31 2012 - 05:07 PM

this is very true. one this started happening i lost alot of respect for the "History" channel.
listen with your own ears...
watch with your own eyes...
make your own decision.

#13 of 26 ONLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,659 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted May 31 2012 - 05:11 PM

Every channel has to be "reality" TV now.

#14 of 26 OFFLINE   Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,648 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 01 2012 - 09:22 AM

I've only seen the first two parts so far...but, it is seemingly accurate from what I know of the story. It's actually a pretty well produced work and I've enjoyed it quite a bit. A great cast with Costner and Paxton doing solid work. Maybe it's not Lonesome Dove, but I'd say it's the best western I've seen made in several years.

#15 of 26 OFFLINE   Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,223 posts

Posted June 02 2012 - 08:54 AM

I have only seen the first part in its entirety, and enjoyed it very much. I look forward to the rest of this mini-series, seeing what the Hatfields and McCoys are all about, after hearing references about it in numerous TV shows. Hopefully, I will watch Part 2 tonight.   The History Channel does have a few worthwhile shows, like The Universe and How the States Got Their Shape. But the rest of their reality stuff is dreck.

TV Episodes Watched - 2015 - May
Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read) / 2014 (1 read)

#16 of 26 OFFLINE   Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Screenwriter

• 1,581 posts

Posted June 02 2012 - 09:59 AM

I thought it was excellent and well done all around. My only complaint was Paxton, not sure if I didn't like him or his character though, I could only take someone drunk and stumbling.
I have seen Larry David in action, and that man is an animal, and he has to be stopped.

#17 of 26 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,276 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted June 02 2012 - 07:57 PM

I just went through the entire three parts in one setting and I thought it was extremely good. There were some major flaws including the god-awful song they played during a few portions of the film and I also wasn't too thrilled with the music score at times. As far as the truth.... I'm really not sure how much truth could be learned anyways. This was for entertainment and not a documentary so I really don't mind whatever facts might have been changed. It was great seeing Costner, Paxton and Berenger being able to work with great material again and I think all three really nailed their performances. Last night I watched BASTARD OUT OF CAROLINA for the first time and wondered whatever happened to Jena Malone and to my shock I saw her in the credits. I think the most impressive thing is that even though it clocked in nearly five hours, it never really felt too long. I'd say the first twenty-minutes were the weakest parts and once the pig trial kicked in I thought it flew by.

#18 of 26 OFFLINE   xfile94

xfile94

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted June 07 2012 - 07:22 AM

There is something that bothers me very much--everytime I see this air, the picture is unwatchable. Continual jumps in the very first showing are unbelievable. Am I the only person that saw this???:(

#19 of 26 OFFLINE   MarkMel

MarkMel

Screenwriter

• 1,610 posts

Posted June 07 2012 - 07:44 AM

On the third part, I definitely noticed jerkiness of the picture. It looked like a film with every third frame missing.

#20 of 26 OFFLINE   xfile94

xfile94

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted June 09 2012 - 08:19 AM

Did you just see it in the third part? I turned it on to see the beginning, and it was awful. After a few minutes, I turned it off. The repeat was fine, but there is no excuse for that kind of television. I have never seen anything like that before. To be so high rated, it was treated like junk.:confused:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users