Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Blade Runner 30th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray available for preorder

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 of 40 ONLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,571 posts

Posted May 30 2012 - 03:32 AM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

Over 10 hours of bonus content
"Final Cut" feature on Blu-ray and DVD
Three additional feature versions on one disc, seamlessly branched
All new bonus content disc featuring the existing EC from the UCE plus
Photo Gallery with 1,000+ new images
"Dangerous Days" documentary
The Work Print feature version
Over 6 featurettes and more

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 40 OFFLINE   Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,748 posts

Posted May 30 2012 - 03:43 AM

I'd go for this only if the versions of the film themselves have newer, high bit-rate encodes instead of the constrained HD-DVD spec encodes of the original release, plus the extras in HD since Charles De Lauzirika produced his documentaries in High Definition. Vincent

#3 of 40 OFFLINE   ijthompson

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator

• 147 posts

Posted May 30 2012 - 04:10 AM

Ditto.

#4 of 40 ONLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,262 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted May 30 2012 - 04:18 AM

Yep, same.  One of my favorite Blu-rays, but a double dip would require all of that -- and positive reviews.

#5 of 40 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

HTF Premium Member

• 3,297 posts

Posted May 30 2012 - 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Chas in CT 

Yep, same.  One of my favorite Blu-rays, but a double dip would require all of that -- and positive reviews.

I agree 100%.

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

#6 of 40 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted May 30 2012 - 04:41 AM

At a $65 list price I will wait for it to be heavily discounted before pulling the trigger.

#7 of 40 OFFLINE   MattAlbie60

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific Railroad.

• 561 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Maryland

Posted May 30 2012 - 04:50 AM

According to The Digital Bits, they say that Warners have confirmed that DANGEROUS DAYS is still SD-only. So probably no sale for me, unless I find it 18 months from now in a "Discount" bin somewhere.

#8 of 40 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,036 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted May 30 2012 - 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Garysb 

At a $65 list price I will wait for it to be heavily discounted before pulling the trigger.

This. I picked up the Blu 5 disc set for $25 to stick in my DVD version briefcase set. I'll only bite on this when the reviews are great and it's dirt cheap.

#9 of 40 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,929 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted May 30 2012 - 08:52 AM

OK, multiple choice time. WB is reissuing this film again because: 1) The last release is OOP and they want to give people who missed out another opportunity to buy it 2) To capitalize on Ridley Scott's Prometheus 3) To drum up publicity for the possible upcoming remake 4) They've run out of movies to release and now it's time to double and triple dip. well, that's it, this was all I could come up with. What other reasons could there possibly be? Anyone who wanted Blade Runner on Blu-ray would've picked up the briefcase or regular versions that came out, what, 2 years ago?

RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos. 

#10 of 40 ONLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,262 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted May 30 2012 - 08:59 AM

Four and a half years ago.  December 2007.  Looked it up to be sure.  This release was the single most responsible one for being the kick in the ass I needed to buy my first Blu-ray player.  I'd just gone high-def on TV and cable six months earlier.  Oddly enough, my briefcase is the DVD version, too.  Bought it JUST before moving into Blu-ray, then probably a month or so later is when I bought the 5-disc BD set.

#11 of 40 ONLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,262 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted May 30 2012 - 09:06 AM

It's hilarious to look back on that.  I thought at the time that while I was sure I'd want Blu-ray for certain films, there really couldn't be more than half a dozen essential ones to buy in the format.  Okay, maybe a dozen.  All right, maybe a couple of dozen, but surely no more than that would justify the additional expense.  I seriously thought that I'd get those special few on BD and carry on with DVD for everything else.  Positively amazing.

#12 of 40 OFFLINE   AlexCosmo

AlexCosmo

Stunt Coordinator

• 246 posts

Posted May 30 2012 - 09:54 AM

Isn't there some licensing thing where Warner loses their rights if they don't do something with the property every 4 or 5 years?

#13 of 40 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,167 posts

Posted May 30 2012 - 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by AlexCosmo 

Isn't there some licensing thing where Warner loses their rights if they don't do something with the property every 4 or 5 years?

If that were the case we would have never gotten a remastered Director's Cut in 2006.

#14 of 40 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,917 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted May 30 2012 - 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by elDomenechHTF 

OK, multiple choice time. WB is reissuing this film again because:

1) The last release is OOP and they want to give people who missed out another opportunity to buy it
2) To capitalize on Ridley Scott's Prometheus
3) To drum up publicity for the possible upcoming remake
4) They've run out of movies to release and now it's time to double and triple dip.

well, that's it, this was all I could come up with. What other reasons could there possibly be? Anyone who wanted Blade Runner on Blu-ray would've picked up the briefcase or regular versions that came out, what, 2 years ago?

5) 1, 2 and 3

#15 of 40 OFFLINE   AaronMan

AaronMan

Second Unit

• 286 posts

Posted May 30 2012 - 03:00 PM

The original was just about perfect in every way. If the extras were in HD, I'd at least think about it. I still probably wouldn't pull the trigger though.

#16 of 40 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,167 posts

Posted May 30 2012 - 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by AaronMan 

The original was just about perfect in every way. If the extras were in HD, I'd at least think about it. I still probably wouldn't pull the trigger though.

I wouldn't say it was perfect. The bitrates were pretty low and the archival versions had lossy sound only (not to mention that weird instance where Desolation Road creeps into the Director's Cut 5.1 mix). Its still an incredible set but technically it hasn't aged well.

#17 of 40 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,917 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted May 30 2012 - 04:37 PM

I didn't realize that the 5 disc BD was out of print.  I was eventually planning on doing the red2blu and trade in my HD DVD for the BD.  So much for that idea.

#18 of 40 OFFLINE   Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner

Supporting Actor

• 790 posts

Posted May 30 2012 - 05:37 PM

No interest unless they release a high bit rate version this time with the grain intact.

#19 of 40 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted May 30 2012 - 05:41 PM

Well Im on the fence, I have the Briefcase DVD edition, the BluRay of the Final Cut of Blade Runner...kind of a toss up, how many editions do I need :)

#20 of 40 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted May 30 2012 - 08:29 PM

I'd go for this only if the versions of the film themselves have newer, high bit-rate encodes instead of the constrained HD-DVD spec encodes of the original release, plus the extras in HD since Charles De Lauzirika produced his documentaries in High Definition. Vincent

Higher bit rates wouldn't do much for this or almost any other film. When it needs it, the bit rate jumps up around 28mbps. Also almost a1/3 of the image area is taken up by the black bars, and large areas of the film frame are actually black with no detail through out much of the film. Add to that it was encoded in the VC-1 codec which is somewhat more efficient than AVC. For the vast majority of visual material, an average bit rate above 20mbps is over kill and a waste of space. Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users