What's new

Fox Cinema Archives - MODs are coming in June (1 Viewer)

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Lou Lumenick is reporting that Fox will (finally) start their MOD series in June:
When Fox began distributing the MGM Limited Edition Collection in 2012, it seemed likely that Fox would eventually follow with its own manufacture-on-demand program. The Fox Cinema Archives, as it's called, is finally arriving sometimes this month, with three titles already available for pre-order at Amazon for $19.98 apiece: Rouben Mamoulian's romantic comedy "Rings on Her Fingers'' (1942) starring Gene Tierney and Henry Fonda; Irving Cumming's Technicolored Betty Grable musical "Sweet Rosie O'Grady'' (1943) with Robert Young; and Henry Hathaway's thriller "Diplomatic Courier'' (1951) starring Tyrone Power and Patricia Neal.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/movies/slate_extra_selznick_busy_rko_year_vICHuCtouImBWmB3tEhy8M#ixzz1wHJu2w8j
More titles that will likely be availble in the first batch, according to the article in the New York Post:
"The Foxes of Harrow'' (1947)
"Dangerous Years'' (1947)
"The Perfect Snob," (1941)
"The Raid'' (1954)
"Twelve Hours to Kill'' (1960)
"Hudson's Bay'' (1941)
"The Man I Married'' (1940)
"Secret Agent of Japan'' (1942)
"Life Begins at 8:30'' (1942)
"Frontier Marshal'' (1939)
"Love is News'' (1937)
The next wave should arrive in late July/August and according to the article at this year's end, approx. 150 titles should be available.
I guess there will be a press release soon.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Finally.
Any by the looks of it, it seems like a serious effort in line with the Columbia Classics launch. Great chance to get some B-movie gems and other obscurities that likely wouldn't have garnered a Twilight Time release in at least a decade.
Now all we can do is cross out fingers and hope the transfers are up to snuff.
Also, I have a feeling many of these 150 launch titles will be double-dips on previous DVD releases if Frontier Marshal and Love is News being announced is any indication.
Edit: There also seems to be 3 more already on pre-order on Amazon:
"Rings on Her Fingers'' (1942)
"Sweet Rosie O'Grady'' (1943)
"Diplomatic Courier'' (1951)

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
Everything Betty Grable...will we finally get MOTHER WORE TIGHTS?
Everything Tyrone Power -- LLOYD'S OF LONDON, SECOND FIDDLE, THIN ICE, SUEZ, PONY SOLDIER, KING OF THE KHYBER RIFLES, AMERICAN GUERRILLA IN THE PHILIPPINES. Of course the new R2 version of DIPLOMATIC COURIER is already in the mail to me (Murphy's law strikes again) but nice that it's coming out in R1 through the Fox program.
SUNNY SIDE UP, CHANGE OF HEART and all the other talkies Charles Farrell and Janet Gaynor made together. And all the movies at Fox they made without each other (like ADORABLE with Gaynor).
Henry King movies -- REMEMBER THE DAY, MARGIE, MARYLAND, the talkie remake of SEVENTH HEAVEN with James Stewart and Simone Simon, STATE FAIR...
John Payne! Maureen O'Hara! Linda Darnell! STAR DUST, REMEMBER THE DAY (I want this one so much I had to list it twice) :), SENTIMENTAL JOURNEY. SENTIMENTAL JOURNEY (I had to list SENTIMENTAL JOURNEY twice too).
COMANCHE TERRITORY with Maureen O'Hara -- I've never seen it but Wikipedia has this quote from O'Hara about it: "The film in which I mastered the American bullwhip. By the time the picture was over, I could snap a cigarette out of someone's mouth." Yup, gotta see that!
ZOO IN BUDAPEST
SMOKY (1946 version, with Fred MacMurray and Anne Baxter)
NO HIGHWAY IN THE SKY
SOMETHING BIG
KID BLUE
The TV western series THE MONROES.
Some of these I think should be Blu-rays (ZOO IN BUDAPEST, SMOKY, KING OF THE KHYBER RIFLES) but if all I can get is MOD -- I'll take it.
Any possibility of a widescreen version of VIOLENT SATURDAY?

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
also 'my gal sal', 'tales of manhattan', and ALL of sonja henie's musicals..... thanx fox for opening the floodgates, please keep them coming!!

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Press release? If it's an Amazon-only initiative, I doubt it. At least they let someone know.
VIOLENT SATURDAY is available widescreen via Twilight Time, but not anamorphic WS.
KID BLUE is available as an Amazon download if you can't wait.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
The first "wish list" title from Fox that comes to mind for me is
Inferno (1953) - A terrific thriller / survival film with Robert Ryan and Rhonda Fleming. I viewed this on cable nearly 30 years ago and it has stuck with me since then.
- Walter.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Walter Kittel said:
The first "wish list" title from Fox that comes to mind for me is
Inferno (1953) - A terrific thriller / survival film with Robert Ryan and Rhonda Fleming. I viewed this on cable nearly 30 years ago and it has stuck with me since then.
- Walter.
This film begs for a BluRay 3D release

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
PaulaJ said:
COMANCHE TERRITORY with Maureen O'Hara -- I've never seen it but Wikipedia has this quote from O'Hara about it: "The film in which I mastered the American bullwhip. By the time the picture was over, I could snap a cigarette out of someone's mouth." Yup, gotta see that!
Not through the Fox MOD program, you won't. Comanche Territory is a Universal film. I have the R2 British release but it's available from France and Germany too.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
I will resist a list...but this is great news! Maybe we will finally get the most underrated film of the 60s....Gigot. And some curiousities like Welcome Home Soldier Boys.
With MOD, licensees and streaming -the catalog titles have come to overrule new releases.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I wonder how many movies that are already available for download will also be ported to DVD-R? know the Warner title THE AWAKENING was (eventually), but there are a number of Fox and other studio titles (Lionsgate has a bunch) that may be left hanging.
Still, good news. (And note that if you have multiregion capalbility some of these are on pressed disc already.)

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Bob Cashill said:
I wonder how many movies that are already available for download will also be ported to DVD-R? know the Warner title THE AWAKENING was (eventually), but there are a number of Fox and other studio titles (Lionsgate has a bunch) that may be left hanging.
Still, good news.
Fox ' At Long Last Love would seem a natural. My only hope is that they put a little effort into them. I was very disappointed in a few columbia Classics. I recently watched Chapter Two- my favorite James Caan performance-and despite the cool cover art (the poster I remembeer were Mason and Caans heads facing one another)-which made it seem more Seems Like Old Times than Only When i Laugh-its a lousy, lazy transfer. I could 've gotten a vhs for 99 cents that looked the same.
It would be a shame that after all this time ALLL would be the same old transfer. I hope Fox has trailers as well.
Yes-Lionsgate gate has many titles on Amazon Prime not ever releaseed on DVD. And I've downloaded from there The Games, Kid Blue, I The Jury-3 Fox titles. Any other good Fox titles for download?

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Interesting list - some of these have not played on FOX MOVIE CHANNEL (or over on TCM)

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The Incident with Beau Bridges, Martin Sheen, Tony Musante, Jack Gilford, Gary Merrill, Jan Sterling, Mike Kellen, Ruby Dee, Brock Peters, and even Ed McMahon. GREAT cast.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
FIVE FINGERS (52) is also available an Amazon download (and an R2 disc).

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I hope we get the missing Jeanne Crain movies, particularly Home In Indiana and the missing Linda Darnell movies, particularly Chad Hanna.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Sorry to see that they are taking the standard MOD pricing of $20 each as a starting point. Sorry to hear too that it's going to be on Amazon. They need a website, or to get onto the WB's.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I hope they'll soon make this 'want list' obsolete:
BERKELEY SQUARE (1933)
POWER AND THE GLORY, THE (1933)
TRICK FOR TRICK (1933)
ZOO IN BUDAPEST (1933)
DANTE'S INFERNO (1935)
BANJO ON MY KNEE (1936)
THREE BLIND MICE (1938)
STANLEY AND LIVINGSTONE (1939)
STORY OF ALEXANDER GRAHAM BELL, THE (1939)
WIFE, HUSBAND AND FRIEND (1939)
MAGNIFICENT DOPE, THE (1942)
TALES OF MANHATTAN (1942)
BRASHER DOUBLOON, THE (1947)
COME TO THE STABLE (1948)
CRY OF THE CITY (1948)
FORBIDDEN STREET, THE (1949)
LUCK OF THE IRISH, THE (1948, stand-alone release)
SITTING PRETTY (1948)
BEAUTIFUL BLONDE FROM BASHFUL BEND, THE (1949)
EVERYBODY DOES IT(1949)
MR. BELVEDERE GOES TO COLLEGE (1949)
SLATTERY'S HURRICANE (1949)
AMERICAN GUERRILLA IN THE PHILIPPINES (1950)
MISTER 880 (1950)
BIRD OF PARADISE (1951)
MR. BELVEDERE RINGS THE BELL (1951)
FIVE FINGERS (1952)
LURE OF THE SWAMP (1952)
DESTINATION GOBI (1953)
INFERNO (1953)
MAN ON A TIGHTROPE (1953, stand-alone release)
GOOD MORNING, MISS DOVE (1955)
23 PACES TO BAKER STREET (1956)
BACK FROM THE DEAD (1957)
SHE DEVIL (1957)
UNKNOWN TERROR, THE (1957)
CATTLE EMPIRE (1958)
FROM HELL TO TEXAS (1958)
SPACE MASTER X-7 (1958)
HAND OF DEATH (1962)
SODOM AND GOMORRAH (1962)
DAY MARS INVADED EARTH, THE (1963)
INCIDENT, THE (1967)
TO KILL A CLOWN (1972)
Made-for-TV Movies:
SPECTRE (1977)
TERROR ON THE BEACH (1973)
WHERE HAVE ALL THE PEOPLE GONE? (1974)
Short-run TV Series:
BLUE LIGHT
BUS STOP
JOURNEY TO THE UNKNOWN
MAN WHO NEVER WAS, THE
WESTERNER, THE

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks