Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Fox Cinema Archives - MODs are coming in June

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#21 of 108 DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,907 posts

Posted May 29 2012 - 03:03 PM

Someone suggested we might be seeing some reissues of OOP titles, such was what Sony and MGM have been doing. No word on the prints, either - considering what has turned up on Fox Movie Channel -who knows!

#22 of 108 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,558 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted May 30 2012 - 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by DeWilson 

Someone suggested we might be seeing some reissues of OOP titles, such was what Sony and MGM have been doing.
No word on the prints, either - considering what has turned up on Fox Movie Channel -who knows!

Yes, that's not encouraging. I've never seen The Best Things in Life Are Free in widescreen; they always show the pan-and-scan print.

#23 of 108 DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,907 posts

Posted May 30 2012 - 12:14 AM

Yes, that's not encouraging. I've never seen The Best Things in Life Are Free in widescreen; they always show the pan-and-scan print.

I can top that - B.S. I LOVE YOU (1971) is shown on FOX MOVIE CHANNEL not only full-screen but the edited TV Print in rough shape!

#24 of 108 Louis Letizia

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor

• 813 posts

Posted May 30 2012 - 01:59 AM

I can top that - B.S. I LOVE YOU (1971) is shown on FOX MOVIE CHANNEL not only full-screen but the edited TV Print in rough shape!

I fear Fox is just gonna issue there back catalog with the same care as their FMC. This is the same version they streamed on Netflix. I am a movie lover -not a cinephile. I grew up watching Cleopatra on a 13 inch black and white tv -and still got caught up in it. As for tv versions-B.S. I Love You was a very tame R (although I did miss seeing Isis (Joanna Cameron) au naturel. But do not miss Radar O'reilly's bare ass)-and it doesnt lose much in translation-especially for those weaned on the 4:30 Movie where Planet of the Apes and its progeny were reduced to 65 minutes , and still surprisingly enjoyable. Way before vhs, I was so hungry for movies I would buy Patton to play on my Bell and Howell projector. It was so washed out and cut to ribbons and the only sound from it was from the whir of the projector! I still opt to watch movies on a commercial laden , low powered tv station as a nostalgia trip. Its comfort food for the brain. I very much am thrilled with these MOD programs. I do not get angry at the sometimes poor quality as much as I do thast the studios who used to shun catalog titles or put them out ramshackled with truly ugly cover art are now kissing our asses and not only putting out these obscure movies in grreat volume , but putting the original poster art as the cover! I could only think that either their photoshop software has broken or they are truly listening to us. And I am grateful theyt are. y

#25 of 108 Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted May 30 2012 - 02:16 AM

THE MEANEST MAN IN THE WORLD, THE MOON IS DOWN, THE 13TH LETTER, THE BIG SHOW, HOLY MATRIMONY, LADIES IN LOVE, THE PIED PIPER, THE LION, A BELL FOR ADANO, STELLA, both versions of THE FARMER TAKES A WIFE, MR. 880, SUN VALLEY SERENADE, EVERYTHING HAPPENS AT NIGHT, THE SICILLIAN CLAN, WHEN IRISH EYES ARE SMILING, and any chance of WINGED VICTORY or the Will Rogers version of STATE FAIR?
Charles Hoyt

#26 of 108 Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,877 posts

Posted May 30 2012 - 02:56 AM

Now only if this extended to their TV catalog: The reminder of Peyton Place Nanny and the Professor Julia The Ghost & Mrs. Muir Anna & The King Judd: For The Defense Felony Squad Bus Stop Dobie Gillis Adventures in Paradise The Long Hot Summer Bracken's World The Green Hornet -and of course, the Holy Grail, Batman.
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#27 of 108 Louis Letizia

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor

• 813 posts

Posted May 30 2012 - 03:17 AM

Now only if this extended to their TV catalog: The reminder of Peyton Place Nanny and the Professor Julia The Ghost & Mrs. Muir Anna & The King Judd: For The Defense Felony Squad Bus Stop Dobie Gillis Adventures in Paradise The Long Hot Summer Bracken's World The Green Hornet -and of course, the Holy Grail, Batman.

Thats a great list! Hopefully they will follow WB template. Dobie Gillis was a brilliant, way ahead of its time show. Tuesday Weld was my first black and white crush! (Wrangler Jane was my color one). I didnt know Fox owned this. WB released the movie version with Bobby Van (we can segue back to Lost Horizon now)! Julia was groundbreaking, but when Nick at Nite had this on a few years back -it seemed rather bland. The Ghost and Mrs. Muir/ Nanny and the Professor used to be on ABC back to back. Very soothing shows . I miss them. With the publicity Kim Richards is getting as the wacky housewife and Juliet Mills on Hot in Cleveland-this would be a prime release for this. They had very few episaodes --so it would be easy. Batman would make a great complete set with the one season only Green Hornet as an extra. This would need a deluxe treatment after all these years of anticipation.

#28 of 108 Nebiroth

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor

• 716 posts

Posted May 30 2012 - 03:35 AM

The Ghost and Mrs Muir and Long Hot Summer are out here in the UK....

#29 of 108 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted May 30 2012 - 03:50 AM

Hand of Death and Space Master X7 for me please

#30 of 108 flagbrothers

flagbrothers

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted May 30 2012 - 04:02 AM

Fox, Please release as many CinemaScope films as possible.

#31 of 108 PaulaJ

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor

• 575 posts

Posted May 30 2012 - 05:33 AM

VIOLENT SATURDAY is available widescreen via Twilight Time, but not anamorphic WS.

I saw 4:3 and thought it was fullscreen... good to know it's widescreen although non-anamorphic. Maybe I will eventually get it. But Fox really should remaster this title (if possible).

KID BLUE is available as an Amazon download if you can't wait.

I have the Spanish DVD of Kid Blue. It's widescreen, but non-anamorphic. I'm hoping for an anamorphic DVD.
PaulaJ

#32 of 108 Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,059 posts

Posted May 30 2012 - 06:36 AM

The Ghost and Mrs Muir and Long Hot Summer are out here in the UK....

I believe Mr. Ellis is referring to the television shows (not the the films), which to the best of my knowledge are not available in the U.S., UK or anywhere else.

#33 of 108 Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,455 posts

Posted May 30 2012 - 07:45 AM

This film begs for a BluRay 3D release

Agree wholeheartedly. In the meantime, there is a 2D Spanish DVD.

#34 of 108 DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,907 posts

Posted May 30 2012 - 08:10 AM

Thats a great list! Hopefully they will follow WB template. Dobie Gillis was a brilliant, way ahead of its time show. Tuesday Weld was my first black and white crush! (Wrangler Jane was my color one). I didnt know Fox owned this. WB released the movie version with Bobby Van (we can segue back to Lost Horizon now)! Julia was groundbreaking, but when Nick at Nite had this on a few years back -it seemed rather bland. The Ghost and Mrs. Muir/ Nanny and the Professor used to be on ABC back to back. Very soothing shows . I miss them. With the publicity Kim Richards is getting as the wacky housewife and Juliet Mills on Hot in Cleveland-this would be a prime release for this. They had very few episaodes --so it would be easy. Batman would make a great complete set with the one season only Green Hornet as an extra. This would need a deluxe treatment after all these years of anticipation.

Are we even sure they are going to do any TV? I also wouldn't expect them to release anything they don't already have transfers on - Movies, or TV. ...and I'd bet my last dollar the first TV Series if they do it would be Peyton Place! The serialized nature of the show would be perfect for MOD - people will continue to buy volumes to follow the story,

#35 of 108 kingfish

kingfish

Supporting Actor

• 971 posts

Posted May 30 2012 - 08:53 AM

twelve o'clock high tv series.

#36 of 108 battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 643 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted May 30 2012 - 09:09 AM

YEE HAAA!!!!

For me, it's: The Pied Piper (1942), East Lynne (1930), The White Parade (1934) And The Turning Point (1977).

And yes, I know fully well the conditions of the middle two... after all, i went 3,000 KM to UCLA just to view 'em.

I recently watched all 485 Best pictures (plus about 10 others films) in 365 days! www.oscarmovs.com

#37 of 108 kingfish

kingfish

Supporting Actor

• 971 posts

Posted May 30 2012 - 10:33 AM

china gate with angie dickenson.

#38 of 108 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,465 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted May 30 2012 - 12:45 PM

I will be happy with some more Ritz Brothers, Alice Faye, and Betty Grable.  And let's don't forget about the existing silents.

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#39 of 108 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,439 posts

Posted May 30 2012 - 02:15 PM

I'm also looking forward to the unreleased Will Rogers films, unreleased films from Zanuck's pre-Fox 20th Century Pictures, and the largely unreleased pre-Zanuck Fox films. Seeing some of Raoul Walsh's early films would also be a treat. I've also been waiting for a few of the Ernie Kovacs Fox features to finally be available. I don't think Fox owns any short subjects outside of Movietone newsreels, correct? And perhaps Fox can right some past wrongs by making Tobacco Road, the newly released films in the Elia Kazan set, and Cavalcade available as singles, even if they are MODs.

#40 of 108 PaulaJ

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor

• 575 posts

Posted May 30 2012 - 05:43 PM

I guess what I really wanted to ask was... do you all think that Fox will remaster any titles that need it (especially widescreen titles that currently have only fullscreen video masters) like Warner and Sony... or will they go the MGM route and slap onto the disc whatever is on hand?
PaulaJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users