What's new

Shazam (1 Viewer)

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Wow, I really didn't expect this one. My copies are fair to poor. I am definitely buying this one. The show is so square its cool.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'll never doubt WB again.
They have just made my year!! I have been longing to see this show again for many years and poof just like that my dreams have come true.
It will fit perfectly in my Filmation library of Isis, Ark II, Space Academy and others.
THANK YOU WB!
d8089abe_shazam-2-09.jpeg

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Two things before I get excited.

One - wasn't there also an animated version of Shazam! by Filmation? If so, let's be sure it's the live action and not the cartoon. Maybe we'll get REALLY lucky and get both.

Two - We do not have official confirmation on this yet. I'm not popping the corks until we get official word.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Jack P /t/321028/shazam#post_3930799
No, there wasn't an animated version by Filmation.
OK then. I could have sworn I remember an animated Shazam! from when I was a kid, wonder who did that.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Oh yes there was... a few years after the live-action series, Filmation brought him
(and, occasionally, ISIS) back, in animated form, in 1981. It was part of the KID SUPER POWER HOUR show, paired-up with HERO HIGH:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kid_Super_Power_Hour_with_Shazam!#Shazam
-here's the overall show intro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr4kFB5e-WQ&feature=related
-and here's the animated SHAZAM! intro:

I watched both incarnations when I was a kid; neither are anything I'd personally buy or watch (in full) again, but facts are facts. :laugh:

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Peter M Fitzgerald /t/321028/shazam#post_3930826
Oh yes there was... a few years after the live-action series, Filmation brough him
(and, occasionally, ISIS) back, in animated form, in 1981. It was part of the KID SUPER POWER HOUR show, paired-up with HERO HIGH:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kid_Super_Power_Hour_with_Shazam!#Shazam
-here's the overall show intro:

-and here's the animated SHAZAM! intro:

I watched both incarnations when I was a kid; neither are anything I'd personally buy or watch (in full) again, but facts are facts.

Glad to know I'm not going nuts. I wonder if WBA would consider releasing both live and animated in one set. Make for a neat package. Wish it could be re-paired with Hero High, but separate rights now, I think. BCI did Hero High (OOP now), so I wonder where the rights went after BCI folded.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
MattPeriolat said:
Two things before I get excited.
One - wasn't there also an animated version of Shazam! by Filmation? If so, let's be sure it's the live action and not the cartoon. Maybe we'll get REALLY lucky and get both.
Two - We do not have official confirmation on this yet. I'm not popping the corks until we get official word.
It's the live action version that is being discussed for release.
there is a clear shot of the DVD with the title of the first episode "the joy riders" on the disc.
http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Shazam-DVDs-Planned/17003

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
MattPeriolat said:
. I wonder if WBA would consider releasing both live and animated in one set. Make for a neat package.
I'd buy the animated series also.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
er, does anyone have an idea what the condition of the episodes are, or even if they were shot in 35mm?

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
DeWilson said:
er, does anyone have an idea what the condition of the episodes are, or even if they were shot in 35mm?
All Filmation live-action shows except for The Ghost Busters were shot in 16mm (35mm was used for the SFX model footage for Jason of Star Command, however, as I recall, and Ghost Busters was made on videotape).
However, unlike the other live-action shows, when the US run stopped, the rights reverted back to DC/Waner, so unlike Isis, Ark II and the rest, the films have remained with Warner Brothers this whole time (and, thus, were never converted to PAL tape and junked by Hallmark).
The handful of repeats of the series as shown on TV Land about a decade ago looked in decent-enough condition to me (I recorded all of them on S-VHS). The only thing that might be unclear is exactly what versions of the season 1 episodes reside with Warner (the original airings of season 1 did not have the end-of-episode "moral tags" on them. Those were added for the reruns (according to Jackson Bostwick, it was his idea to convince the studio--and CBS--to go back and do them), so it might be that's what was meant in previous HTF Warner Chats that they were having "master" issues (maybe they had trouble locating all 15 of the seaosn 1 morals), unless there were other problems (dirty/faded/damaged films, etc).
Pity it's going to be an MOD release, though. I suspect this one is going to sell far better than they expected (like Legends of the Super-Heroes), especially if they have it available at ComiCon.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
I am really wondering if a deal will be cut to include the ISIS crossover episodes on this set??
Were they included in the SECRETS OF ISIS COMPLETE SERIES SET??

paste

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
bretmaverick2 said:
I am really wondering if a deal will be cut to include the ISIS crossover episodes on this set??
Were they included in the SECRETS OF ISIS COMPLETE SERIES SET??
The Isis episodes with Captain Marvel were included on the Isis set, so the Shazam! episodes with Isis should be on the Shazam! set.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
paste said:
The Isis episodes with Captain Marvel were included on the Isis set, so the Shazam! episodes with Isis should be on the Shazam! set.
Exactly. That's the way the rights were worked out back "in the day". Since there were three cross-over episodes for each of the two series, Filmation (and their successors) retained the rights to the Isis episodes that guest-starred Captain Marvel, and Warner Bros. retained the rights to the Shazam! episodes that guest-starred Isis.
I wonder if the Classic Media "volume 1" release of Isis sold well enough for them to reissue the rest of the episodes? Glad I have my complimentary BCI set and have no need of them, but it would be nice to have the episodes out there again for those who need them (especially giving the ridiculous prices the BCI sets are going for now. Almost makes me wish I'd bought up a bunch when they were closing them out).

paste

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
I guess the release is confirmed now. On the Warner Archive's Facebook page, they have the information for the Archive's panel at Comic Con and it looks like they are highlighting the release of Shazam! and actor Michael Gray, who played Billy Batson, will be there, too.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I loved this show. It really reminds me of that time period. I am very happy that this is coming out.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if we dare hope that the initial batches of SHAZAM! be on pressed media (like ALICE: season 1 was)? I know that I, for one, would be much more motivated to buy now if that meant getting a pressed set, rather than waiting for a big sale (like I did with MAN FROM ATLANTIS).
Heck, if they were doing pressed ones initially, I might even be motivated to buy two sets, to have an extra salted away as an investment piece...

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
AndyMcKinney said:
I wonder if we dare hope that the initial batches of SHAZAM! be on pressed media (like ALICE: season 1 was)? I know that I, for one, would be much more motivated to buy now if that meant getting a pressed set, rather than waiting for a big sale (like I did with MAN FROM ATLANTIS).
Heck, if they were doing pressed ones initially, I might even be motivated to buy two sets, to have an extra salted away as an investment piece...
I hope so. I was lucky enough to get a pressed set of Alice, and I'm going to order Shazam the 1st day it is available just to be safe.

krantzbucks

Auditioning
Real Name
Bryan
I have wanted this one for a long time. I have the Thundarr MOD set and it looks okay but I was hoping for a "real" set for Shazam.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
krantzbucks said:
I have wanted this one for a long time. I have the Thundarr MOD set and it looks okay but I was hoping for a "real" set for Shazam.
I am also a huge Shazam fan! I remember watching the show as a kid, especially liking the Winnebago and the message the show taught with each episode!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks