Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

FALL ROMAN EMPIRE / EL CID BLU-RAY

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 of 45 OFFLINE   Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann

Supporting Actor

• 582 posts

Posted January 28 2013 - 05:29 AM

The German EXODUS is really the same transfer as the French one, but without the forced sub-titles, in stereo but not multi-channel. All in all, a rather nice transfer, good grain, clear images and SO much nicer than EL CID or FOTRE BDs. Add me to Philip's list as I love FOTRE and am so in the "better than GLADIATOR" group. I'd buy several Region 1 re-release BDs as gifts if someone would make an effort to do it right. Many friends have recently "gone" blu-ray and are also nuts about these classic wide-screen epics.

#42 of 45 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,370 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted January 28 2013 - 05:36 AM

The German EXODUS is really the same transfer as the French one, but without the forced sub-titles, in stereo but not multi-channel. All in all, a rather nice transfer, good grain, clear images and SO much nicer than EL CID or FOTRE BDs. Add me to Philip's list as I love FOTRE and am so in the "better than GLADIATOR" group. I'd buy several Region 1 re-release BDs as gifts if someone would make an effort to do it right. Many friends have recently "gone" blu-ray and are also nuts about these classic wide-screen epics.

It's not a bad transfer for an image taken from a 35mm negative. But this film should be breathtaking and would be if they'd go from the large format negative, presuming it exists.

#43 of 45 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,846 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted January 28 2013 - 07:43 AM

Does the German EXODUS have the intermission?
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#44 of 45 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,228 posts

Posted January 28 2013 - 04:52 PM

It has an intermission card that plays for just a few seconds at about the 2:08 mark. For what is is it is a decent transfer.

#45 of 45 OFFLINE   OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted January 28 2013 - 07:52 PM

OliverK -- the existing FALL discs are missing a few minutes. The dialogue on the wooden stairs between Boyd and Plummer should be a couple of minutes longer. Near the end of the film, there is a brief reaction shot featuring Plummer missing from the burning at the stake scene (watch for a tell-tale jump cut). Would be nice to see that stuff back in. Perhaps it could be found at Rank. More info here: http://www.imdb.com/...ternateversions

Yes, I am aware of that and maybe some cut footage is still around, who knows? Even the 16mm negative if it is still around would be good enough. Overall, and compared to other epics FALL does remain remarkably intact in its current form. The problem here is the ridiculously bad quality of the current digital elements.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users