-

Photo
- - - - -

Your Favorite Ten TV Shows of ALL Time

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
103 replies to this topic

#41 of 104 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted May 26 2012 - 04:51 AM

Just out of curiosity, what is it about S6 that you don't like? It wraps up the conspiracy storyline (as much as the show ever wrapped things up), there's solid mythology and standalone episodes, the production values got even better with the move to Los Angeles and while leaving Vancouver changed the gloomy look of the show somewhat, I think the episodes are overall stronger than S5. Episodes like Drive, Triangle, How The Ghosts Stole Christmas, S.R. 819, Two Fathers, One Son, Monday, Milagro and The Unnatural range from excellent to very good. I guess what I'm saying is if you haven't seen S6 in a while, watch it again and you might be pleasantly surpised. And while on the subject of The X-Files, I know people wrote off the seasons without Duchovny but S8 is one of the best years of the show. With S8, I think the writers knew that they had to up their game (especially after S7 which, in my opinion, is the weakest year of the entire series) because Duchovny was gone and they ended up with some really excellent monster-of-the-week shows and the mythology episodes focused on finding Mulder which was much more interesting than S7 or S9's mythology episodes where they were basically forced to shoehorn new elements into the conspiracy storyline in order to keep the mythology story going.

I really didnt care the bright LA look the show had when it moved. But, to be fair, i did not finish the season. I was never a fan of the conspiracy storyline. It seemed to go all over the place, and never quite worked, for me. If you say season 6 is good, maybe i should revisit it. Beyond that, i bet i only saw 5 or 6 episodes. And they SUCKED! For example... A movie based on the antics of Mulder and Scully. I remember it had Dechoney's wife. A kid that made everything like The Brady Bunch, including his house. COPS The final episode. I didn't get it. I must have missed too much after i stopped watching. I might have seen a few Robert Patrick episodes, but i really do not remember them. I think one had the shape changing alien assassin. But, once again, alien conspiracy stuff, and i was lost by then. I would love to check out a few gem episodes from later seasons. I just don't want it to spoil the stuff i know i like (if you know what i mean).

#42 of 104 OFFLINE   Steve Armbrust

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit

• 281 posts

Posted May 26 2012 - 05:44 AM

I'll take a shot, but after #1, the order is subject to change. 1. Friday Night Lights 2. Mad Men 3. Fringe 4. West Wing 5. Star Trek TNG 6. The Sopranos 7. 24 8. Smothers Brothers 9. The Avengers 10. Breaking Bad Couldn't quite fit Rescue Me in, and I'm sure I forgot something else really good.

Living in the Baseball Wasteland.

#43 of 104 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,566 posts

Posted May 26 2012 - 06:24 AM

Okay, here's my latest self-imposed challenge: I'm going to find at least one show off everyone's list thus far that I could consider a "favorite" of mine (no repeats allowed).  Let's see how this shakes out.

Roy = Naked City

Theodore = I Love Lucy

Travis = The Twilight Zone

Jack = Dick Van Dyke Show

WaveCrest = The Incredible Hulk

mattCR stumped me, although I've heard good things about Firefly from a good friend of mine.  But since I've yet to dive into that series I can't in fairness choose it.

Walter = Columbo

Jeff*H = Hawaii-Five O

DaveHof = Ozzie & Harriet

Lee = The Honeymooners

GMBurns = Father Dowling

Howie = Adventures of Superman

John Hermes = Combat

Brent = Andy Griffith Show

Peter = Fugitive

Richard = The Rifleman

David Weicker = Doctor Who (if we are talking the Hartnell/Troughton era, if not I'm stumped)

Patrick = Flintstones

Steve O = Lone Ranger

Scott = Gunsmoke

Rick = Harry O

RickER = Six Million Dollar Man

Henry = Barnaby Jones

Kasey = The Donna Reed Show

Mark = Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea

Regulus = Lassie

Steve Armbrust stumped me too.  Sorry.

Gary "that was fun" O.  Posted Image

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#44 of 104 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,380 posts

Posted May 26 2012 - 06:53 AM

I don't know what my favorite shows really are, so I'm going to have to go with repeat viewings: 1.) I Love Lucy 2.) Bewitched 3.) Dynasty 4.) Lost in Space 5.) Mama's Family 6.) South Park 7.) Star Trek TOS 8.) The Big Valley 9.) 3rd Rock from the Sun 10.) Buffy the Vampire Slayer --Weird list! But I like stuff from all genres and all eras.

#45 of 104 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,355 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted May 26 2012 - 07:18 AM

Hard to pick just ten, but if forced to... in alphabetical order:

Alfred Hitchcock Presents

All in the Family

The Avengers

Bewitched

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Dark Shadows

The Dick Van Dyke Show

I Love Lucy

The Mary Tyler Moore Show

M*A*S*H

Lots of other great shows bubbling just under these, of course.

#46 of 104 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,614 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted May 26 2012 - 07:47 AM

Okay, here's my latest self-imposed challenge: I'm going to find at least one show off everyone's list thus far that I could consider a "favorite" of mine (no repeats allowed).  Let's see how this shakes out... Gary "that was fun" O.  :)

Neat idea Gary! I'll give it a shot just for kicks! :) Roy = Mission Impossible: Seasons 1-3 - I'd probably include S4 just for the first season with Nimoy. Theodore = Mister Ed Travis = Seinfeld Jack = Dick Van Dyke Show WaveCrest = The X Files mattCR = BlackAdder Walter = Battlestar Galactica (new version) Jeff*H = Sledge Hammer! DaveHof = The Donna Reed Show Lee = The Odd Couple GMBurns = The Avengers (but only if we're talking the Emma Peel years - otherwise Diagnosis Murder) Gary = Leave it to Beaver John Hermes = Get Smart Brent = Cheers Peter = Rawhide Richard = I Love Lucy David Weicker = Babylon 5 Patrick = Lost in Space - Especially S1 Steve O = Lone Ranger Scott = I Dream of Jeannie Rick = Remington Steele RickER = Space: 1999 Henry = WKRP in Cincinnati Kasey = Bewitched Mark = Star Trek Deep Space Nine Regulus = Get Smart Steve Armbrust = Smothers Brothers Ethan = 3rd Rock from the Sun John = Alfred Hitchcock Presents That was harder than it sounds and took a bit of shuffling/going back to re-select on a few. I also included my posted "Top 25" in the "no repeats" clause.

#47 of 104 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,052 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 26 2012 - 08:02 AM

Rick, you might like S6 of The X-Files more than you realize.

For example... A movie based on the antics of Mulder and Scully. I remember it had Dechoney's wife.

That episode is 'Hollywood A.D.' from S7.

A kid that made everything like The Brady Bunch, including his house.

That's 'Sunshine Days' from S9.

COPS

That's 'X-COPS' from S7. In my estimation, that's probably the best episode of that year but alot of XF comedy episodes are controversial amongst fans.

The final episode. I didn't get it. I must have missed too much after i stopped watching.

They tried to explain and confirm a ton of different story threads with that last episode and if you weren't up on your XF lore, you probably got left behind and understandably ended up being bored by alot of the episode. It does have some really big action sequences (that are still really big by today's standards and were MASSIVE for a TV show in 2002) but it's not the great ending that I would have hoped for. After 9 years, I'm glad that they took the time to lay the conspiracy plot out a little more explicitly than usual but those scenes don't make for the most exciting viewing. The last scene with Mulder and Scully is really nice though and a cool echo of a similar scene in the pilot. Not all of S6 is gold (you probably want to avoid episodes like The Rain King, Arcadia, Alpha and Trevor if you want to keep those memories of the golden years) but the show still had some life in it so you might want to take a look if you're bored some time and have a Netflix account.

#48 of 104 OFFLINE   MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted May 26 2012 - 09:13 AM

Pick ten? It's impossible because they all tend to be so diverse. Plus it really isn't fair to compare 1950s I Love Lucy to 2000s Lost or Sopranos. Different timeframes, different themes, different presentations.

In no particular order, my favorites are:

- I Love Lucy

- Twilight Zone

- Star Trek

- Lost

- Buffy the Vampire Slayer

- Star Trek: The Next Generation

- Mystery Science Theater 3000

- Westinghouse Studio One

- Perry Mason

- Law and Order

Just off my cuff. Most of them could change in the morning.

So much TV... So little money! Please visit my blog at: http://tvhistoryondvd.blogspot.com/

#49 of 104 OFFLINE   tvgreats

tvgreats

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted May 26 2012 - 09:48 AM

Great lists so far.  As many have mentioned, very hard to narrow it down to just 10, but something that is really fun to do.  Here is my list:

1.  The Honeymooners

2.  McHale's Navy

3.  The Bob Newhart Show

4.  The Dick Van Dyke Show

5.  Magnum P.I.

6.  Sgt. Bilko

7.  All in the Family

8.  Andy Griffith Show

9.  Hawaii Five-O (original)

10. Green Acres

Honorable mention: Gunsmoke, Mannix, Cheers, Kojak, Dallas, Wild Wild West, Petticoat Junction, and the Mary Tyler Moore Show.

#50 of 104 OFFLINE   Ian K McLachlan

Ian K McLachlan

Stunt Coordinator

• 180 posts

Posted May 26 2012 - 11:09 AM

My top ten would be - 1. Doctor Who 2. Adam Adamant Lives! 3. Lost in Space 4. U.F.O. (Gerry Anderson) 5. Land of the Giants 6. Babylon 5 7. The Prisoner 8. The Avengers 9. Prisoner Cell Block H 10. Department S

#51 of 104 OFFLINE   Jeff*H

Jeff*H

Supporting Actor

• 694 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted May 26 2012 - 12:58 PM

Upon revisiting my list (post #10), I realized that I had no black & white shows on my list, which is an inaccurate representation given my love for so many shows of that era. Here they are: Addams Family Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet (early seasons with Thorny) The Lone Ranger Gilligan's Island (b/w season is my fave) The Rifleman Burns & Allen Dobie Gillis (Bob Denver makes the list twice) Leave It to Beaver (early seasons) The Fugitive I'm Dickens, He's Fenster (John Astin makes the list twice)
Facebook members, be sure to visit my Hawaii Five-0 Celebration page:  http://www.facebook....113331868678710

#52 of 104 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,566 posts

Posted May 26 2012 - 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff*H 

Upon revisiting my list (post #10), I realized that I had no black & white shows on my list, which is an inaccurate representation given my love for so many shows of that era.

Good for you, Jeff.  Posted Image

I actually like the b/w season of Gilligan's Island too.

Gary "very well done, my friend" O.

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#53 of 104 OFFLINE   MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted May 26 2012 - 01:18 PM

Ugh, I'm an idiot. I forgot one of my all time favorite shows and one I am surprised has not shown up on more lists:

- The Walt Disney anthology series (Disneyland/Walt Disney Presents/Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color/Wonderful World of Disney/Disney Sunday Night Movie).

So much TV... So little money! Please visit my blog at: http://tvhistoryondvd.blogspot.com/

#54 of 104 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,748 posts

Posted May 26 2012 - 03:13 PM

Following up on Gary's idea (because these types of lists are invariably fun to create). Picks from everyone else's choices (apologies if I miss anyone): Roy - The Andy Griffith Show Mike - The Wonder Years Travis - The Wire Jack P - The Avengers WaveCrest - Twin Peaks MattCR - MST3K Jeff - The Six Million Dollar Man DaveHof - Bewitched (haven't watched this in ages.) FanCollector - Barney Miller Glenn Burns - The Fugitive Gary OS - Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Howie - Monty Python's Flying Circus (which really should have made my top 10 list.) John - Hogan's Heroes Brent - Get Smart Peter - The Addams Family (original) Richard - The X-Files (another close but no cigar on my top ten.) David - Dr. Who (Tom Baker version for me) Patrick - Space 1999 Steve - NCIS (somewhere in a list of top 20 shows for me.) Scott - All in the Family Rick Thompson - Hill Street Blues RickER - Farscape (great series) Henry - Harry O Kasey - Charlie's Angels (the original series, I hope. :) ) Mark - Mannix William - Dragnet Steve - The Smothers Brothers (excellent choice) Ethan - Buffy The Vampire Slayer John - Alfred Hitchcock Presents Matt - Star Trek TNG tvgreats - The Bob Newhart Show Ian - The Prisoner An interesting challenge to find non-overlapping shows that I can honestly attest to having viewed and enjoyed. - Walter.
Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#55 of 104 OFFLINE   MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted May 26 2012 - 03:19 PM

I was just thinking... imagine if the forum were to have a convention where we all bring our collections and just have screening parties for three to four days. I shudder to think of the arguments that might break out over what we all would watch next and what show was better than what, but, oh what fun it would be and what a fantastic way to celebrate and inspire others in our hobby of choice.

#56 of 104 OFFLINE   Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,248 posts

Posted May 26 2012 - 11:12 PM

I was just thinking... imagine if the forum were to have a convention where we all bring our collections and just have screening parties for three to four days. I shudder to think of the arguments that might break out over what we all would watch next and what show was better than what, but, oh what fun it would be and what a fantastic way to celebrate and inspire others in our hobby of choice.

That's a Great Idea! :D We need to form a DVD Collectors Organization and hold a Convention somewhere each year. Now what should we call ourselves? :confused:

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 36,372 :biggrin: ( 755 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,413  :biggrin: Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B)

#57 of 104 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,543 posts

Posted May 27 2012 - 03:19 AM

Wow, bringing my collection would involve renting a large moving van. :laugh:
See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#58 of 104 OFFLINE   Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,619 posts

Posted May 27 2012 - 03:22 AM

That's a Great Idea! :D We need to form a DVD Collectors Organization and hold a Convention somewhere each year. Now what should we call ourselves? :confused:

"The Secret Order of the Glazed Eyeball'? Members could wear fez hats emblazened with a bloodshot variation of the CBS logo, topped with rabbit-ear antennae. The password phrase to get in: "Please Stand By". :laugh:

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)

#59 of 104 OFFLINE   MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted May 27 2012 - 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Peter M Fitzgerald 

"The Secret Order of the Glazed Eyeball'?
Members could wear fez hats emblazened with a bloodshot variation of the CBS logo, topped with rabbit-ear antennae. The password phrase to get in: "Please Stand By". Posted Image

*bites back a joke about CBS not that interested in classic TV anymore* Sorry, it is kind of true.

The reason why the idea came to me is, let's face it, we all love having our private collections of material. But it's kind of a closed loop in as much as we are rewarding only ourselves. That's great, but the hobby inevitably will die with us if we do not pass it on. Since Nick at Nite, TV Land and most other forms of syndication have gone the way of the dodo, maybe going the private convention/meeting/screening is the way to go. Do that, get enough people coming, maybe someday (fantasy in the nursery time here) invite reps from media groups to come and see physical representation for the support of some of these programs. Would also be a way to collect donations for those going a more private route like what is being attempted with Ozzie and Harriet and Donna Reed.

By the way, symbol should be the old round test pattern. Remember those?

#60 of 104 OFFLINE   bretmaverick2

bretmaverick2

Second Unit

• 433 posts

Posted May 27 2012 - 09:31 AM

Maverick Dark Shadows Boston Legal Cheers Sanford and Son Still Standing Two and a Half Men Mission Impossible The Big Bang Theory Law & Order: Criminal Intent Kind of a varied list, eh??