Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Your Favorite Ten TV Shows of ALL Time

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#1 of 104 Shatner's Grim Reaper

Shatner's Grim Reaper

Supporting Actor

• 565 posts

Posted May 25 2012 - 05:25 AM

If I'm repeating a thread....my apologies. I want VTTBOTS and LIS fans to have a chance to critique my favorites. :) 1. Star Trek TOS: Season One 2. The Fugitive 3. Gunsmoke 4. The Twilight Zone (original) 5. Have Gun Will Travel 6. Mission Impossible: Seasons 1-3 7. Naked City 8. Hill Street Blues 9. The Andy Griffith Show 10. The Mary Tyler Moore Show

#2 of 104 Theodore J. Mooney

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor

• 538 posts

Posted May 25 2012 - 05:55 AM

In no particular order, sitcom wise: The Lucy Show The Golden Girls The Wonder Years (dramedy) I Love Lucy Happy Days Laverne & Shirley Bewitched Mister Ed Here's Lucy The Mary Tyler Moore Show
Music Video of the Week (Feb. 8th-14th):
 ("Hands To Heaven" sung by Breathe)

"I Love Lucy wasn't just a title" ~ Desi Arnaz
"Desi Arnaz was the love of my life" ~ Lucille Ball

#3 of 104 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,421 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 25 2012 - 06:23 AM

Off the top of my head and in alphabetical order: Breaking Bad Lost Parks And Recreation Seinfeld The Simpsons The Sopranos The Twilight Zone Twin Peaks The Wire The X-Files And I'll cheat and add 11 runners up: Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Battlestar Galactica (2004), Curb Your Enthusiasm, Deadwood, Futurama, The Larry Sanders Show, Leave It To Beaver, Mad Men, Millennium, The Shield and 24.

#4 of 104 Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,520 posts

Posted May 25 2012 - 07:05 AM

Roy, I love many of the shows on your list and at least 3 of your picks would be in my top 10.  I'll post mine later, which will mean very little because every time I compose this type of list I change my mind within a few minutes.  LOL

Gary "the one thing that's a staple for me is that your #2 is my #1" O.

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#5 of 104 Jack P

Jack P

Screenwriter

• 2,913 posts

Posted May 25 2012 - 07:10 AM

1-Battlestar Galactica (ORIGINAL!!!) 2-Columbo 3-Dick Van Dyke Show 4-Dragnet 5-Adam-12 6-The Avengers 7-Hawaii Five-O 8-Ellery Queen 9-The FBI 10-(An open slot for the many other shows that would tie for the last position!)

#6 of 104 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,421 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 25 2012 - 07:28 AM

...every time I compose this type of list I change my mind within a few minutes.  LOL

I posted mine about an hour ago and I've already changed my mind. :)

#7 of 104 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,075 posts

Posted May 25 2012 - 07:44 AM

1. Knots Landing

2. Twin Peaks

3. The Simpsons

4. Hawaii Five-O (the original series)

5. The X Files

6. Law & Order (the 'mothership')

7. Auf Wiedersehen, Pet (the first two series)

8. The Equalizer

9. Knight Rider

10. The Incredible Hulk (the Bill Bixby series).

The shows in the above list are roughly in the right order, but I'd probably move some shows around. And damn, you rack your brains and there's a show you've missed, Magnum, p.i.

#8 of 104 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted May 25 2012 - 07:46 AM

Could change radically with more time to think on this but.. and in NO order:

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

The Wire

The Sopranos

The Shield

Mystery Science Theater 3000 (though mostly the Joel era, I enjoy it all)

The NEW Outer Limits (call that heresy!)

BlackAdder

Angel

Frasier

Ok, now, here's the thing:

Shows that didn't make the cut but could have.. Firefly- would easily be in my Top 10, but it didn't run long enough for me to really consider it fair to put it there.   These shows COULD be there, but since they aren't finished, I can't rank them: Dexter, Homeland, Breaking Bad, Downton Abbey, Mad Men, Walking Dead.   All of those shows could be in my Top10, but how a show finishes says a lot about what I think of it, which is why "LOST" and "Alias" are not on my list.

Shows that don't qualify but I still consider great television.. this is the category for all event programming, reality shows, etc.. so like Survivor, The Amazing Race

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#9 of 104 Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,570 posts

Posted May 25 2012 - 08:12 AM

Roughly in order (and like others this is an extremely variable list, especially the last few choices):
  • Star Trek TOS
  • Gilmore Girls
  • Kung Fu
  • Columbo
  • Babylon Five (S1-S3)
  • The Outer Limits (original series)
  • Battlestar Galactica (new version)
  • Mission Impossible (original)
  • The Twilight Zone (original)
  • Wild, Wild West
- Walter.
Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#10 of 104 Jeff*H

Jeff*H

Supporting Actor

• 688 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted May 25 2012 - 08:40 AM

My favorite ten (so hard to choose): Hawaii Five-O (Classic) Twin Peaks Arrested Development Star Trek Deadwood Lost Mannix The Six Million Dollar Man Magnum, P.I The Larry Sanders Show Sledge Hammer! (Ooops, that 11.....don't want to remove any from the list!)
Facebook members, be sure to visit my Hawaii Five-0 Celebration page:  http://www.facebook....113331868678710

#11 of 104 DaveHof

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator

• 212 posts

Posted May 25 2012 - 08:59 AM

If I were to list the shows I think were the best creatively, my choices would be different. But as "favorite" implies the shows that make me happiest when I'm watching them, here's that list: 1. The Brady Bunch 2. The Dick Van Dyke Show 3. Star Trek: The Next Generation 4. The Avengers 5. The Donna Reed Show 6. Doctor Who 7. The Secrets of Isis (I know, I can't explain it either) 8. I Love Lucy 9. Bewitched 10. The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet

#12 of 104 FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,005 posts

Posted May 25 2012 - 09:18 AM

(Not necessarily in order) Star Trek Columbo The Honeymooners The Odd Couple Remington Steele All in the Family Barney Miller Soap The Prisoner Batman (But it would be very easy to double that list at a moment's notice. The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Phil Silvers Show, The Fugitive, The Twilight Zone, I Spy, Frasier, The Rockford Files, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Maverick, Quincy, M.E. See?) (Or triple it...Rumpole of the Bailey, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Have Gun Will Travel, Mission:Impossible, Get Smart, Green Acres, The Golden Girls, Secret Agent, Mannix, Everybody Loves Raymond.) (Or...The Outer Limits, Ellery Queen, Maude, Perry Mason, Kojak, Cannon, Ironside, M*A*S*H, It Takes a Thief, Burke's Law.) (I promise to stop now...Fawlty Towers, Freaks and Geeks, The Rogues, The Bob Newhart Show, Cheers (1-5), Harry O, Naked City, The Addams Family, It's Your Move, The Defenders.) For all the junk and time-filler the medium is forced to produce, there sure has been a lot of great stuff. I'll spare you, but I could certainly find 50 more top quality shows in my memory and my DVD collection.

#13 of 104 GMBurns

GMBurns

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts
  • LocationPlainville, CT

Posted May 25 2012 - 09:25 AM

This reminds me of a high school sociology project. You're stranded in the Pacific in a life raft with two bottles of water and your entire classic TV dvd collection. In order to keep the raft afloat you have to jettison all but ten of your tv shows. Which ten would you keep and why? My ten, not necessarily in order (except for the first two): Magnum pi The Fugitive Diagnosis Murder Cannon Mannix Father Dowling The Avengers Perry Mason The Wild Wild West Star Trek TOS Oh yeah, and I'd keep the two bottles of water.

#14 of 104 Shatner's Grim Reaper

Shatner's Grim Reaper

Supporting Actor

• 565 posts

Posted May 25 2012 - 09:58 AM

Yeah....Gary....I had to amend number 10.....I forgot Mary. Shame.

#15 of 104 Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,520 posts

Posted May 25 2012 - 10:07 AM

At approximately 6 PM (EST) on May 25, 2012, my favorites are:

1. The Fugitive

The rest, which are in no particular order and may very well move in and out of my Top 10 depending on a plethora of reasons are:

The Andy Griffith Show S1-5
The Dick Van Dyke Show
Rawhide
Have Gun, Will Travel
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (S1, in particular)
Perry Mason
In the Heat of the Night

Father Knows Best

Leave it to Beaver

To use the last show's vernacular, "Gosh Wally, this is really hard."  Posted Image

How long before someone beats me on the amount of b/w shows?  I can think of a couple of guys that probably will, but I don't think there will be too many.  Posted Image

Gary "ask me again in an hour and something will be different" O.

#16 of 104 BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,520 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted May 25 2012 - 10:22 AM

That's easy (simply because I keep this around and look at it occasionally to see if I truly want to change my mind): 1. Star Trek: TOS 2. Fawlty Towers 3. The Adventures of Superman 4. The Bob Newhart Show 5. Outer Limits 6. Batman 7. Monty Python's Flying Circus 8. The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis 9. The Wild Wild West 10. The Twilight Zone I have another 10 or so in an "Almost made it to the Top 10" section - I'll post that if anyone is interested. :)

#17 of 104 Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,520 posts

Posted May 25 2012 - 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobO'Link 

I have another 10 or so in an "Almost made it to the Top 10" section - I'll post that if anyone is interested. Posted Image

I say go for it.  Of course I'm saying that because I'd love to do the same.  Posted Image

Gary "great lists, friends" O.

#18 of 104 John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 692 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted May 25 2012 - 10:33 AM

We could all probably list about a hundred shows but: 1. Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet 2. Star Trek TOS 3. Hogan's Heroes 4. The Untouchables 5. Andy Griffith Show 6. Gomer Pyle 7. Combat! 8. Dallas (early seasons) 9. Get Smart 10. Tonight Show with Johnny Carson (does this count??)

#19 of 104 Brent S

Brent S

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts

Posted May 25 2012 - 10:41 AM

Like others, this is prone to +/- adjustments, primarily because 10 is too restrictive for me... THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW M*A*S*H STAR TREK (TOS) BATMAN DARK SHADOWS GET SMART ALL IN THE FAMILY ST. ELSEWHERE THE WEST WING CHEERS

#20 of 104 BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,520 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted May 25 2012 - 12:38 PM

Quote: I say go for it.  Of course I'm saying that because I'd love to do the same.  :D Gary "great lists, friends" O.

OK... since you asked for it... The "Almost made it to the Top 10" list: The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet Green Hornet That 70's Show Zorro (Disney) Hogan's Heroes The Time Tunnel Farscape Addams Family 'Allo 'Allo! Newsradio The Invaders The Vicar of Dibley Daniel Boone Firefly The Man from U.N.C.L.E. That's another 15 and this list, like my top 10, rarely changes. I could *easily* add another 15 or so but if I was on that raft my top 10 would stay with some serious soul searching from the next 15. I'd keep the water too and argue to keep the Zappa, Zeppelin, Floyd, Little Feat, Stevie Ray, Beatles, Stones, Steely Dan, Joe Walsh, T-Rex... After all, there's lots to be said for turning the sound down on the TV and listening to some "classics". :D Tag... you're it Gary. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users