Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

Coriolanus Blu-ray Review

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,816 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted May 23 2012 - 01:58 PM

William Shakespeare’s Coriolanus has never been one of the more popular of the Bard’s tragedies to stage. The protagonist is rather grim and inflexible, there are no real subplots with colorful villains plotting his downfall, and the text doesn’t offer any singular monologue that has lived outside the confines of the play itself. Despite its lack of public identification, actor Ralph Fiennes has brought the play to the screen directing it as an updated, ripped-from-the-headlines kind of central European civil war saga that cuts Shakespeare’s text judiciously but retains the fervor of battle-scarred ego and reputation that war films typically generate.

http://www.amazon.co...ASIN=B0059XTUT0

http://www.amazon.co...ASIN=B0059XTUT0

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,585 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted March 01 2013 - 10:14 AM

I just watched this and loved it. My rental copy is from a Canadian distributor and the short featurette is in hi-def. I will be adding it to the collection, so I'll listen to the commentary another time. Totally agree with your assessment of Redgrave.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,640 posts

Posted March 01 2013 - 10:17 AM

Thoroughly enjoyed this movie, excellent perfomances all the way around, and yes, it reminded me of the present day Balkan wars.
See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users