Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Dolby Atmos Coming To A Theater Near You: First Impressions

Dolby

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 of 35 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,917 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted June 24 2012 - 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff Cooper 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin EK 

A total of 164 speakers are used to make the Dolby Atmos sound - 36 JBL speakers at and behind the screen, and 128 Meyer Sound speakers in the surround positions.  Surround positions now include two large trusses hanging over the audience - 68 of the speakers are found in those trusses.

Posted Image Seriously?  How is this going to catch on?  How many theaters are going to pay to upgrade their equipment to this standard?  What about maintenance?  What are the odds that at least 1 of those speakers will be blown?  How many movie sound editors are going to compose their effects for placement in each speaker?  What are the costs of this going to do to ticket prices?

Robert already touched on this, but the sound designers, just place the sound where they want it in the room on a GUI and the Atmos processor does the rest.  This is because there is no standard for how may speakers an Atmos theater will have.  There are some with as few as 26 (could be lower now) and you could have some with up to 64.  The Atmos processor in each theater decodes the mix and decides based on the number of channels in that specific theater where to direct the sounds in the mix.  During a demo I saw a mixer take a sound and with the mouse move it all over the room in real time. As to blown speakers, they system does a self test each day looking for speaker problems.  If it finds a problem it sends a repair alert and routes around that speaker until it can be fixed.

There will be a big roll out in 2013 with over 1000 screens world wide.  A lot of next summers blockbusters will be mixed for it as well.

#22 of 35 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,262 posts

Posted June 24 2012 - 08:20 AM

Can't wait for the Atmos remix of "My Dinner With Andre"! Posted Image

Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#23 of 35 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,612 posts

Posted June 24 2012 - 01:19 PM

I'm pretty excited about this technology and may have to dive to West Plano or KC to hear it. It sounds impressive.

#24 of 35 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,513 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted June 26 2012 - 08:54 AM

Hmm. A road trip to West Plano may indeed be in order for me as well. It wouldn't be the first time I've driven 4 hours to the Dallas area just to see a movie! Posted Image

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#25 of 35 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,612 posts

Posted June 26 2012 - 03:13 PM

It wouldn't be a first for me either Craig. We could have a mini HTF-meetup.

#26 of 35 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,535 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted June 30 2012 - 06:31 AM

I just saw Brave at Cinemark West Plano on their XD eXtreme Digital screen with Dolby Atmos. The speakers were arrayed along the sides and embedded in the ceiling I was not at all impressed. From my vantage, centered on row J, there were very few effects to hear. I noticed rain overhead, but not much else. The wisps seemed focused on the front screen. The horse galloping was side-focused, and sounded okay. Considering I paid $14.75 to see this on XD, I would not pay a premium to see a movie in Atmos. YMMV. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#27 of 35 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,513 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted June 30 2012 - 02:49 PM

Well, that kills my enthusiasm for a road trip to West Plano... Thanks for the honest review, Steve.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#28 of 35 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,535 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted June 30 2012 - 02:56 PM

Maybe the effect would have been more pronounced had I not been sitting close to the screen on row J, which is the first third of the auditorium. Frankly, I've heard other 7.1 auditoriums with fewer speakers arrayed on the sides that sounded just as enveloping. It is showing through Tuesday, 4:40pm if you want to catch it. It only has 3 showtimes per day.

#29 of 35 OFFLINE   NY2LA

NY2LA

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted June 30 2012 - 03:44 PM

Great just what we need, an excuse to make theatres look even more like a techno-geek's basement. The El Capitan now has those hideous trusses hanging overhead, ruining the gorgeous vintage look for an effect that was totally lost on me. I was in the back row of the orchestra, under the overhang, but that's not supposed to matter now, is it? I thought it was just plain loud. The EC rig is temp, as in the Dolby across the street, but I would bet that integrating into decor and making the speakers less conspicuous is not at all on their list of priorities. The trend is to show off all that hardware, because it is perceived as cool, but to me it's like the guys who used to haul those enormous blasting boom boxes around.

#30 of 35 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,535 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted October 06 2012 - 09:26 AM

I made another visit to Cinemark West Plano to see Taken 2 in Dolby Atmos on their XD screen. This time, the theater staff handed out hats that said Taken 2 on the front, and "I heard it in Dolby Atmos" on the back. As I got to my seat, about 2/3 back this time, preceding the before-show programming, they showed two Atmos trailers. This time I could hear the effects overhead and side-to-side. It makes me wonder if they had not engaged the Atmos processor for Brave, or if sitting further back is the sweet spot. Before the trailers started, a woman representing Dolby addressed us, telling us that we were one of the few theaters in the world equipped with Dolby Atmos, and that there were speakers overhead. She said to listen for the car chases to hear examples of the effects. Then she said they would be handing out a survey card and that we could win an iPad if we went online to respond. Before the movie, they repeated one of the Atmos trailers. As for the sound of the movie, I noticed fireworks overhead, and one of the two car chases had sound that went through the auditorium. The second car chase just sounded like standard, front-focused with ambient sound in the surround channels. I liked Dolby Atmos better this time. But I still think it is a hard-sell. Oh, after the movie the Dolby workers were outside the theater handing out cards with Dolby buttons attached to them. I now have an addition to my flair collection.

#31 of 35 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,262 posts

Posted October 07 2012 - 01:14 AM

So are "Brave" and "Taken 2" the only Atmos-mixed movies so far?  When I was in NJ a few weeks ago, I wanted to see something at the theater there but they had nothing Atmos playing...

Colin Jacobson

#32 of 35 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,681 posts

Posted October 25 2012 - 04:03 PM

Hmm. A road trip to West Plano may indeed be in order for me as well. It wouldn't be the first time I've driven 4 hours to the Dallas area just to see a movie! :D

Ditto! We travelers should plan a gathering. Count me in :)

#33 of 35 OFFLINE   Joe Wong

Joe Wong

Second Unit

• 290 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 11:40 AM

For those HTFers intrigued by Atmos, and who are eagerly anticipating more Middle Earth, the following is of interest; http://www.hollywood...os-sound-382197 Cheers, Joe
Movie reviews and discussion...Joe's Movie Mutterings

#34 of 35 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,535 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted October 28 2012 - 11:50 AM

Posted already in the Hobbit thread. Also, Chasing Mavericks is in Dolby Atmos this week.

#35 of 35 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,262 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Wong 

For those HTFers intrigued by Atmos, and who are eagerly anticipating more Middle Earth, the following is of interest;
http://www.hollywood...os-sound-382197
Cheers,
Joe

The nearest Atmos theater (to me) is in NJ.  I'll be in NJ 12/13 and 12/15 for the Stones.  "Hobbit" opens 12/14.

I think I know what I'll be seeing 12/14 - and where I'll be seeing it! Posted Image

Colin Jacobson

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dolby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow