What's new

Peter Gunn - The Complete Series coming soon from Timeless (1 Viewer)

Kruzer31

Agent
Real Name
Doug
Timeless Media Group's website lists Peter Gunn - The complete series as coming soon. No street date is given. The cover art and a brief overview are there. It is a 12 disc set. Also the Peter Graves series Whiplash is listed as coming soon

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
The good thing about the A&E releases going OOP is that it ups there resale value. So on Amazon right now you can actually trade in the first two A&E releases fors around $35 total. Going ebay or marketplace takes more work but would probably bring in even more. So figuring the Timeless release will probably work down to about $39 at Sam's and other places eventually, you could almost get the whoe thing for free.
Now the big question is what prints did they use. I'm figuring no worse then the A&E prints.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
WOW!!!! I've been waiting forever for this! it was such a great show- Lola Albright was a goddess as Edie Hart, and I could never understand why Blake Edwards replaced her with Laura Devon in the 1960s Gunn film, as Lola was still getting big parts at the time and looked fabulous. I still have the A&E sets, so I guess can get rid of them!

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I would hope that they will be using the prints and/or transfers utilized for the Season One and Season Two sets of PETER GUNN released in the UK a couple years ago by Liberation Entertainment. Of course, those are long OOP, but the image quality was stunning. These must have been mastered from pristine 35mm prints. I recall that on their website it stated that Liberation also owned the rights to MR. LUCKY and MR. ADAMS AND EVE and were planning releases in the future, So, with luck, we may see even more treasures from Timeless in the future.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
If "Mr. Adams And Eve" is a possible DVD release that would be a surprise since my understanding was that only one episode existed.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Ed Lachmann said:
I would hope that they will be using the prints and/or transfers utilized for the Season One and Season Two sets of PETER GUNN released in the UK a couple years ago by Liberation Entertainment. Of course, those are long OOP, but the image quality was stunning. These must have been mastered from pristine 35mm prints. I recall that on their website it stated that Liberation also owned the rights to MR. LUCKY and MR. ADAMS AND EVE and were planning releases in the future, So, with luck, we may see even more treasures from Timeless in the future.
I don't know one way or the other about who has MR. ADAMS AND EVE, but I think Timeless may indeed be getting PETER GUNN from (the former) Liberation Entertainment (now Camelot Entertainment Group), because evidence suggests that Liberation/Camelot looks like the source from which Timeless licensed THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD, THE ADVENTURES OF SIR LANCELOT, THE BUCCANEERS and the upcoming YANCY DERRINGER set. If this is true, perhaps we'll also eventually get MR. LUCKY and a good-looking, legit set of DECOY (starring Beverly Garland).
Here is what Camelot lists as their TV series holdings : http://www.camelotent.com/library/tv.html
--although the page has a 2011 copyright, so things could've changed.

Mister-Mike

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Quigley
All three seasons of Peter Gunn have been broadcast on MeTV in the States, and each episode starts with a Liberation Entertainment logo (same company that released the first two seasons on DVD in the UK). The quality of the prints (as seen on those DVDs and on TV for the third season) is miles ahead of the A&E ones, which were unbelievably bad (and some of which were cut, too, despite what it said on the boxes).
By the way, I have a Peter Gunn page (http://www.mjq.net/petergunn) similar to what I have done for Hawaii Five-O if anyone is interested... :)

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Mister-Mike said:
All three seasons of Peter Gunn have been broadcast on MeTV in the States, and each episode starts with a Liberation Entertainment logo (same company that released the first two seasons on DVD in the UK). The quality of the prints (as seen on those DVDs and on TV for the third season) is miles ahead of the A&E ones, which were unbelievably bad (and some of which were cut, too, despite what it said on the boxes).
By the way, I have a Peter Gunn page (http://www.mjq.net/petergunn) similar to what I have done for Hawaii Five-O if anyone is interested... :)
Unfortunately, the ones used by RTV recently were not very good and cut. So we have to wait to see what Timeless ends up with.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Certainly will get this Peter Gunn set from Timeless (along with their release of 87th Precinct). Being a detective/private detective series it's a series I'd be interested in seeing. And would also like to see a proper set for the Beverly Garland series Decoy as well.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Would have been nice if they released the colorized episodes! Those turned up in Australia a few years ago and were very nice.
Yeh, I know, Peter Gunn is the ultimate cool B&W TV Film Noir - but the colorization was well done.

Real Name
Lee
Ooohh, I'd love to see Peter Gunn in color, ignoring all the P.C. opinions, I love colorized movies and TV shows. I didn't know P.Gunn was colorized, if only there was a release of the color set. Please let's not have a color/b/w debate, I've gone thru it many times before and still love color. You are more than welcome to your opinion, allow me the same privlege.
But I will be more than happy to get the Timeless release, BUT I do hope they will be un-cut episodes. I have the RTV shows and on the plus side they do include the art-figure Peter Gunn logo before each commercial, but the RTV broadcasts consistently skipped about 3 Season 3 epiodes. They were somewhat edited but not really that bad compared to a Canadian cable channel's broadcasts.

cineescape

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gregory
How would CBS release a Universal owned property?

Oddly enough, Warner did the same thing back in the day. When distribution rights to the early WB and MGM catalogs switched from MGM/UA to Warner, DVD reissues of some titles came in Warner snapper cases, but contained the exact same discs of the old MGM/UA releases, right down to the MGM/UA labels on the discs themselves.

And so did Shout! on Barney Miller, insofar as the first three seasons are concerned in the all-in-one-- the discs have Shout! labeling, but the content (menus and all) is the same as the originals of those first three seasons from Columbia/Tristar and SPHE.
My mistake. I keep thinking that because the story was written by Rod (Twilight Zone) Serling that this episode (Season 1 Episode 22) from the Chrysler Theater ran on CBS. But it ran on NBC and was alternatively titled Universal Star Time Theatre of the Stars. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Hope_Presents_the_Chrysler_Theatre

Actually, Shout! has released a lot of vintage Universal TV titles like Ironside and Peter Gunn. Of course, being the King of Bad Luck, most or all of that series, or more so the episode and/or movie version I'm looking, perished in the 2008 fire, or simply got trashed.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Actually, Shout! has released a lot of vintage Universal TV titles like Ironside and Peter Gunn. Of course, being the King of Bad Luck, most or all of that series, or more so the episode and/or movie version I'm looking, perished in the 2008 fire, or simply got trashed.

Peter Gunn was not a Universal series. It was shot at Universal Studios, but not produced by them.
Plus - all Shout! did was a basic repackage job. Peter Gunn was originally a Timeless release that came with a very nice CD of Lola Albright singing - Shout! dumped that in the repackage job.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Plus - all Shout! did was a basic repackage job. Peter Gunn was originally a Timeless release that came with a very nice CD of Lola Albright singing - Shout! dumped that in the repackage job.
Actually, I recall reading that Timeless really just got access to the prints used by Liberation Entertainment for the UK release.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I have the original Timeless complete series DVD release, and the CD is from the original 1959 RCA Victor LP of Henry Mancini's instrumental suite for Peter Gunn. No Lola Albright, she's singing on the episodes themselves.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
Peter Gunn was not a Universal series. It was shot at Universal Studios, but not produced by them.
Found out that the PG pilot was filmed at Desilu, note that W. Argyle Nelson was production supervisor. All other season one PG EPS were filmed at Universal. Seasons 2-3 episodes were filmed at MGM studios.

cineescape

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gregory
I see; I had assumed otherwise from the credits. The music, of course, is the main star of that series. SO glad I have both the A & E and Shout! DVD collections, as the sound quality is not too shabby over good hardware.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks